2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Great car for the money and forgiving
By aldvin on 03/14/13 22:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car since it was new. I had to skip maintenance at times due to have a very small budget. Something I never recommend for any car if can be avoided, however this car has forgiven every time I have done it. I used to drive 1000 miles a week, and not once have I had to worry if I would get to where I needed to. I now have 174k miles on it and still get 29 mpg combined highway city driving. The only problem I have had is breaks...my fault...and had to rebuild top of engine due to my mistake with timing belt...again my fault. I have had a badly charging battery start in cold weather. I will keep this car until the tires fall off compared to a car payment.

174K miles and still strong!
By eldom72 on 12/03/12 20:03 PM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car last year with 150K miles and I've already added up 24K miles to it and it still going strong. I was first skeptical before buying because it was a Hyundai but I was proved wrong, this car has been a blast to own.

i couldn't be more happy
By andydemarcho on 08/18/11 00:18 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've been driving my Hyundai Elantra 2005 with 80,000miles on it. still feels like new! great value for great car.

2005 Hyundai Elantra Review
By md2011 on 05/19/11 09:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS SULEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

1st hyundai purchased. Such a good car ended up buying two more hyundais 09 and 11 elantra! Bought this car after it was leased in Dec 05. Have this car over 5 years and never have been disappointed. Only service needed Made (Jul 04)is: Standard oil changes, replaced front brakes, first set of tires @ 30k and a new battery @30k The car has never broke down on us has been very reliable. MPG is good not great very heavy car for the size. We can get 24mpg out of it combined. Tons of features for a low price. For a economy car it is very spunky and has nice handling smooth on the road even rough roads. Pros: Great value, reliable Cons: AM Radio reception poor Awesome Car!

A no frills car
By Vinod on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this amidst much warning from all friends and ignorant people who tend to be scared about buying anything other than a Toyota or a Honda from the used cars. Reason why I bought this was how Elantras offered the same features and higher power than a corolla or a civic at a much lower price. After having driven this for more than 16,000 miles, I am very pleased with this car. I have not had any bad experiences and the maintenance has only been preventive maintenance like transmission oil change, brake rotor change etc.

Great for high mileage drivers
By Renee on 05/25/10 16:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS SULEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car "new" (it was a demo car with 160,00 KM on it) in 2005. Currently, it's traveled 300,000 KM (just over 200,000 miles) with only maintenance service so far. I had to service the clutch at 250,000 km - and have had the breaks done 2x (unfortunately full replacement due to the salted roads in Canada). As far as reliability goes it's been an awesome car for me, though it's not luxurious, it does get the job done!

Love our Hyundai
By David on 05/14/10 12:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love our 2005 Hyundai. We bought it because it was the best bang for the buck and we've had 0 problems with it even after owning it for 3 years now. The only thing I've done with the car is get the brake pads fixed. I've had to buy a new battery, but that's about it. I could not be happier with the car. It is true that the door handles and some other of the interior knobs might feel cheap but that's not important to me. They don't break, it's just I've read that things like that might make a difference for some people.

Excellent Warranty
By Yoga on 03/31/10 21:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The car is solidly built. I moved around a lot and the car still stand up well after 5 years. The warranty is great. They found problems with the CV boots, cylinders, and all 4 shocks, they replace them all for free! This car is going to last a few more years!

Commuter Car
By Unbelievable on 12/12/09 08:52 AM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a disposable commuter car. I commute 75 miles per day. Wow, I am very pleased with this car. It gets 40 mpg on the highway and 30 mpg around town. The car has power and I drive on average about 75mph comfortably. I am extremely pleased with this purchase and the car for the money! I am thinking this will be a great kid car when I am done with it.

bought for college
By polystang on 08/19/09 20:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought for my final year at school. So far I am very satisfied. The engine is quite powerful for its class and its handles well. The sound system is nothing to brag about but all in all it is a very good little car at a good price. Recommended to anyone also, I'm a big guy. 6,2 and build. I fit in it very well. Good head room and decent legroom