Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Never AGAIN!!!!
By atoria

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car in 2005 (brand new) only had about 19 miles on it, and i must say that i regret not listening to my grandmother when she said "go to the honda dealership" shortly after 3 years of purchasing this car it has been giving me issues. check engine has been repeatedly coming on for the same issue which pertains to a sensor(s)!!! and currently its the check engine is still coming on for the SaME ISSUE!!!!!! apparently my car is too rich in fuel!!!! I wanted to pass this car on to my sister, but will not due to the fact that it will take money with the amount of repairs that will have to be done by the car.. This was my first car and I haven't been happy at all!!!!!!! and any friends who ask about hyundai's I immediately tell them no!!! do not waste your money!!!!! because you won't have none after the amount of repairs you have put into constantly fixing the car! Elantra's are for elderly folks who only travel around town. Hyundai has my complaint on file and I will continue to call with any additions to that complaint!

Little Reliable
By playmaker

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been awesome to own. But with just over 100k miles now close to 200k and still going strong. Does surprisingly well in snow and is an excellent commuter. Easy to maintain and no hassles.

Great car for the money and forgiving
By aldvin

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car since it was new.
I had to skip maintenance at times due to have a very small budget.
Something I never recommend for any car if can be avoided, however this car has forgiven every time I have done it.
I used to drive 1000 miles a week, and not once have I had to worry if I would get to where I needed to.
I now have 174k miles on it and still get 29 mpg combined highway city driving.
The only problem I have had is breaks...my fault...and had to rebuild top of engine due to my mistake with timing belt...again my fault.
I have had a badly charging battery start in cold weather.
I will keep this car until the tires fall off compared to a car payment.

Forgiving car...Hyundai has designed great cars.

174K miles and still strong!
By eldom72

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car last year with 150K miles and I've already added up 24K miles to it and it still going strong. I was first skeptical before buying because it was a Hyundai but I was proved wrong, this car has been a blast to own.

I fill up the thank ($3.36 the gal in NJ) every week and I commute everyday 30+ miles. I put Shell gas and it last even longer. it has a very good suspension (very bouncy on the highway though). It has a peppy 2.0L DOHC 16V 4 cyl engine with CVVT which is a great feature on both performance and gas mileage.

The only few things I don't like are the headlights become too hazy quick. I've tried everything to clean them but no results so far. Also the transmission feels like it slips sometimes but I blame this on the previous owner. When I changed the transmission fluid, it was all brown. As long as I give it gentle gas, it does fine.

i couldn't be more happy
By andydemarcho

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've been driving my Hyundai Elantra 2005 with 80,000miles on it. still feels like new! great value for great car.