Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

An extremely reliable utilitarian vehicle.
By Deborah Findlay

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

It's too bad Hyundai doesn't make it anymore; especially at the original price. Highly recommended.

Trouble From The Start
By Patti

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT SULEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned seven little old cars in the past fourteen years, many much older than this one, and this one has given me the most trouble bar none. As you probably suspected, the Toyotas and Hondas behaved perfectly. Now I'm not gonna say it is all the car's fault, because I'm certain it's at least partially the fact that the previous owners were idiots (reversed the radiator hoses, made sure the PCV valve would never come out with the application of hardening mud). Plus, you have to consider, if idiots are buying Hyundais... yeah, that was kinda mean. But beware! Every thing I do to it, every fix, is like going down the rabbit hole, even though this car is relatively easy to work on. Let me start from the beginning. I bought the car only 4k miles ago, and with blown struts and cracked windshield and a little hitch in its shifting--I knew about all that. One week after the purchase, driving down the highway, radiator blew. So, tow bill. New radiator, and it was still overheating. This is when we realized the hoses were reversed. New thermostat, new belts while we're at it. Two week long saga of getting the belts on juuuuuust right to get one or the other or all of them to stop squealing. Pro tip: tighten the alternator belt. Before I forget, let me mention that now, one of the pulleys is squeaking, will probably need to replace THAT soon. One of the back drum brakes was squeaking, tried to get that off to fix... of course it's well and truly stuck, /fail. I did some research on the internet about the shifting, found a lot of people had had success with changing the transmission speed sensors. Bought them on ebay, installed, and... I think it's shifting somewhat better. It doesn't do the odd shifting thing anymore... mostly. It's still not perfect, and it's driving me a little insane. I think it's manuals from here on out for me. But anyway, back to the car. Tried to change the PCV valve, unscrewed it from the valve cover... and the whole effing brass fitting came out of the valve cover with it, because apparently, someone'd glued it in. Jammed it back in, PCV valve unchanged. Option at this point: Get really, really creative getting the PCV valve out, or new valve cover, $250. The engine was filthy, decided I was going to wash it before working on it. Wound up flooding one of the spark plugs. Couple-day saga of changing spark plugs (which were due anyway, so whatever), Heet, wires. Apparently I'd fried the wire, too. Couple days after that, headlights went out. Both of them, at the same time. Odd, yes? Anyway. There's more, I know there's more, but I'm drawing a blank right at this second, so how about the good: The seats are comfortable, the sunroof still works and doesn't leak, aftermarket stereo plays Pandora. Oh! And I'm beginning to suspect parts are cheap, cuz the junkyard quoted me $550 for a new (100k miles) engine. Peeves: Rear foot space is sparing, little spots of rust starting on body.

Zero problems
By morahno

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought with 128k miles on it. Changed the battery and windshield wipers 'cause they were old, that's it. After 8 months and 10k have had absolutely no problems.I get 28 mpg combined. The exterior is pretty cool comparing to other cars with same age imo, the interior of course is not good looking, in high speeds it shakes sometimes, the steering wheel shakes a little most of the time, but for the money I paid and the reliability I got, I can overlook those.

the MPG, Exterior, and I like the drive.

Great little car
By magpie318

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car about a year ago with 114,000 miles on it. It drove like new. I never had a problem with it. While driving on the highway a deer jumped right out in front of me. I ended up hitting it. At 55 mph the car took the brunt of the impact. It felt as though I had hit a speed bump instead of a 6 point deer. When I got out of the car, and was able to see the damage done to it, I was amazed that no one was hurt. My beautiful car was totaled, but my family and I walked away without a scratch. I am now loyal Hyundai consumer.

safest car i have ever owned
By lizzy8911

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

i bought a 2005 elantra gt in october 2010 and i absolutely fell in love with it! i loved the whole package and the car was very affordable and great on gas! November 2010, 4 weeks after i purchased the car, i was in a bad car accident at speeds of 55 mph and i t-boned someone who turned in front of my car. I somehow managed to walk away from the accident without a single scratch on me. I would love to own this car again! and also the car i purchased was a reconstructed title so it was already in a car accident and managed to keep me alive.
and i also found out i was pregnant during the crash too and baby survived also! I want another one so bad now that i have my daughter!