Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Little Reliable
By playmaker

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been awesome to own. But with just over 100k miles now close to 200k and still going strong. Does surprisingly well in snow and is an excellent commuter. Easy to maintain and no hassles.

Zero problems
By morahno

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought with 128k miles on it. Changed the battery and windshield wipers 'cause they were old, that's it. After 8 months and 10k have had absolutely no problems.I get 28 mpg combined. The exterior is pretty cool comparing to other cars with same age imo, the interior of course is not good looking, in high speeds it shakes sometimes, the steering wheel shakes a little most of the time, but for the money I paid and the reliability I got, I can overlook those.

Favorite Features

the MPG, Exterior, and I like the drive.

Great car for the money and forgiving
By aldvin

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car since it was new. I had to skip maintenance at times due to have a very small budget. Something I never recommend for any car if can be avoided, however this car has forgiven every time I have done it. I used to drive 1000 miles a week, and not once have I had to worry if I would get to where I needed to. I now have 174k miles on it and still get 29 mpg combined highway city driving. The only problem I have had is breaks...my fault...and had to rebuild top of engine due to my mistake with timing belt...again my fault. I have had a badly charging battery start in cold weather. I will keep this car until the tires fall off compared to a car payment.

Favorite Features

Forgiving car...Hyundai has designed great cars.

174K miles and still strong!
By eldom72

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car last year with 150K miles and I've already added up 24K miles to it and it still going strong. I was first skeptical before buying because it was a Hyundai but I was proved wrong, this car has been a blast to own.

Favorite Features

I fill up the thank ($3.36 the gal in NJ) every week and I commute everyday 30+ miles. I put Shell gas and it last even longer. it has a very good suspension (very bouncy on the highway though). It has a peppy 2.0L DOHC 16V 4 cyl engine with CVVT which is a great feature on both performance and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The only few things I don't like are the headlights become too hazy quick. I've tried everything to clean them but no results so far. Also the transmission feels like it slips sometimes but I blame this on the previous owner. When I changed the transmission fluid, it was all brown. As long as I give it gentle gas, it does fine.

Great little car
By magpie318

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car about a year ago with 114,000 miles on it. It drove like new. I never had a problem with it. While driving on the highway a deer jumped right out in front of me. I ended up hitting it. At 55 mph the car took the brunt of the impact. It felt as though I had hit a speed bump instead of a 6 point deer. When I got out of the car, and was able to see the damage done to it, I was amazed that no one was hurt. My beautiful car was totaled, but my family and I walked away without a scratch. I am now loyal Hyundai consumer.