2005 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Little Reliable
By playmaker on 10/25/14 11:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been awesome to own. But with just over 100k miles now close to 200k and still going strong. Does surprisingly well in snow and is an excellent commuter. Easy to maintain and no hassles.

Zero problems
By morahno on 03/30/13 14:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought with 128k miles on it. Changed the battery and windshield wipers 'cause they were old, that's it. After 8 months and 10k have had absolutely no problems.I get 28 mpg combined. The exterior is pretty cool comparing to other cars with same age imo, the interior of course is not good looking, in high speeds it shakes sometimes, the steering wheel shakes a little most of the time, but for the money I paid and the reliability I got, I can overlook those.

Great car for the money and forgiving
By aldvin on 03/14/13 22:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car since it was new. I had to skip maintenance at times due to have a very small budget. Something I never recommend for any car if can be avoided, however this car has forgiven every time I have done it. I used to drive 1000 miles a week, and not once have I had to worry if I would get to where I needed to. I now have 174k miles on it and still get 29 mpg combined highway city driving. The only problem I have had is breaks...my fault...and had to rebuild top of engine due to my mistake with timing belt...again my fault. I have had a badly charging battery start in cold weather. I will keep this car until the tires fall off compared to a car payment.

174K miles and still strong!
By eldom72 on 12/03/12 20:03 PM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car last year with 150K miles and I've already added up 24K miles to it and it still going strong. I was first skeptical before buying because it was a Hyundai but I was proved wrong, this car has been a blast to own.

Great little car
By magpie318 on 11/20/12 12:23 PM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car about a year ago with 114,000 miles on it. It drove like new. I never had a problem with it. While driving on the highway a deer jumped right out in front of me. I ended up hitting it. At 55 mph the car took the brunt of the impact. It felt as though I had hit a speed bump instead of a 6 point deer. When I got out of the car, and was able to see the damage done to it, I was amazed that no one was hurt. My beautiful car was totaled, but my family and I walked away without a scratch. I am now loyal Hyundai consumer.

safest car i have ever owned
By lizzy8911 on 10/19/11 19:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

i bought a 2005 elantra gt in october 2010 and i absolutely fell in love with it! i loved the whole package and the car was very affordable and great on gas! November 2010, 4 weeks after i purchased the car, i was in a bad car accident at speeds of 55 mph and i t-boned someone who turned in front of my car. I somehow managed to walk away from the accident without a single scratch on me. I would love to own this car again! and also the car i purchased was a reconstructed title so it was already in a car accident and managed to keep me alive. and i also found out i was pregnant during the crash too and baby survived also! I want another one so bad now that i have my daughter!

i couldn't be more happy
By andydemarcho on 08/18/11 00:18 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've been driving my Hyundai Elantra 2005 with 80,000miles on it. still feels like new! great value for great car.

2005 Hyundai Elantra Review
By md2011 on 05/19/11 09:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS SULEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

1st hyundai purchased. Such a good car ended up buying two more hyundais 09 and 11 elantra! Bought this car after it was leased in Dec 05. Have this car over 5 years and never have been disappointed. Only service needed Made (Jul 04)is: Standard oil changes, replaced front brakes, first set of tires @ 30k and a new battery @30k The car has never broke down on us has been very reliable. MPG is good not great very heavy car for the size. We can get 24mpg out of it combined. Tons of features for a low price. For a economy car it is very spunky and has nice handling smooth on the road even rough roads. Pros: Great value, reliable Cons: AM Radio reception poor Awesome Car!

Great commuter!
By Salamander Sam on 10/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new when I could not find a cheap, reliable commuter on the used market and have been 100% pleased with my purchase. Comfortable on long drives as well as around town. Only nonscheduled maintenance has been for O2 sensor and noisy visors. Both were fixed with no problems by the dealership. This is a great first car for those looking for one or a great commuter.

A no frills car
By Vinod on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this amidst much warning from all friends and ignorant people who tend to be scared about buying anything other than a Toyota or a Honda from the used cars. Reason why I bought this was how Elantras offered the same features and higher power than a corolla or a civic at a much lower price. After having driven this for more than 16,000 miles, I am very pleased with this car. I have not had any bad experiences and the maintenance has only been preventive maintenance like transmission oil change, brake rotor change etc.