Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 242 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Better than I could have asked for!
By Amanda

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Last summer I was in the market for a 4,500 dollar car and I spent an hour or two a day on this website. I read the reviews on an '05 elantra because one was for sale close by- and they were all so positive- discussing how solid the engine is, how safe they feel in an accident etc. I purchased the car for 3,400 which was down from 3,800 because the family was leaving for Hawaii the next day. It had 105k miles and now has 120k miles. I was hit by a truck swinging back while I was parked- and the car didn't even dent. The car has made 2- thousand mile trips this last year and survived a Tahoe winter. It has been hearty, reliable and much more than I could have asked for in my price range. I receive a lot of compliments on it because it is so cute. Some people think I drive a Saab. I have had put $1,200 in repairs into the car- a new radiator and clutch about 5 months after buying it- those have been the only problems and it was very good about indicators and easy for mechanics to work on.

An extremely reliable utilitarian vehicle.
By Deborah Findlay

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

It's too bad Hyundai doesn't make it anymore; especially at the original price. Highly recommended.

Trouble From The Start
By Patti

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT SULEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned seven little old cars in the past fourteen years, many much older than this one, and this one has given me the most trouble bar none. As you probably suspected, the Toyotas and Hondas behaved perfectly. Now I'm not gonna say it is all the car's fault, because I'm certain it's at least partially the fact that the previous owners were idiots (reversed the radiator hoses, made sure the PCV valve would never come out with the application of hardening mud). Plus, you have to consider, if idiots are buying Hyundais... yeah, that was kinda mean. But beware! Every thing I do to it, every fix, is like going down the rabbit hole, even though this car is relatively easy to work on. Let me start from the beginning. I bought the car only 4k miles ago, and with blown struts and cracked windshield and a little hitch in its shifting--I knew about all that. One week after the purchase, driving down the highway, radiator blew. So, tow bill. New radiator, and it was still overheating. This is when we realized the hoses were reversed. New thermostat, new belts while we're at it. Two week long saga of getting the belts on juuuuuust right to get one or the other or all of them to stop squealing. Pro tip: tighten the alternator belt. Before I forget, let me mention that now, one of the pulleys is squeaking, will probably need to replace THAT soon. One of the back drum brakes was squeaking, tried to get that off to fix... of course it's well and truly stuck, /fail. I did some research on the internet about the shifting, found a lot of people had had success with changing the transmission speed sensors. Bought them on ebay, installed, and... I think it's shifting somewhat better. It doesn't do the odd shifting thing anymore... mostly. It's still not perfect, and it's driving me a little insane. I think it's manuals from here on out for me. But anyway, back to the car. Tried to change the PCV valve, unscrewed it from the valve cover... and the whole effing brass fitting came out of the valve cover with it, because apparently, someone'd glued it in. Jammed it back in, PCV valve unchanged. Option at this point: Get really, really creative getting the PCV valve out, or new valve cover, $250. The engine was filthy, decided I was going to wash it before working on it. Wound up flooding one of the spark plugs. Couple-day saga of changing spark plugs (which were due anyway, so whatever), Heet, wires. Apparently I'd fried the wire, too. Couple days after that, headlights went out. Both of them, at the same time. Odd, yes? Anyway. There's more, I know there's more, but I'm drawing a blank right at this second, so how about the good: The seats are comfortable, the sunroof still works and doesn't leak, aftermarket stereo plays Pandora. Oh! And I'm beginning to suspect parts are cheap, cuz the junkyard quoted me $550 for a new (100k miles) engine. Peeves: Rear foot space is sparing, little spots of rust starting on body.

Never AGAIN!!!!
By atoria

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car in 2005 (brand new) only had about 19 miles on it, and i must say that i regret not listening to my grandmother when she said "go to the honda dealership" shortly after 3 years of purchasing this car it has been giving me issues. check engine has been repeatedly coming on for the same issue which pertains to a sensor(s)!!! and currently its the check engine is still coming on for the SaME ISSUE!!!!!! apparently my car is too rich in fuel!!!! I wanted to pass this car on to my sister, but will not due to the fact that it will take money with the amount of repairs that will have to be done by the car.. This was my first car and I haven't been happy at all!!!!!!! and any friends who ask about hyundai's I immediately tell them no!!! do not waste your money!!!!! because you won't have none after the amount of repairs you have put into constantly fixing the car! Elantra's are for elderly folks who only travel around town. Hyundai has my complaint on file and I will continue to call with any additions to that complaint!

Little Reliable
By playmaker

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been awesome to own. But with just over 100k miles now close to 200k and still going strong. Does surprisingly well in snow and is an excellent commuter. Easy to maintain and no hassles.