Great except for gas economy for size
By jobber1 on
2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)
I bought it new and now have 162 K on it. Nothing's been required beyond standard maintenance. I have never had any problems with it and it is fun and comfortable to drive (and I am 6'10"). I have owned a 1972 Fiat 124 sedan (auto), 1982 Toyota Tercel (stick), 2001 Honda Accord (auto), 1974 VW Rabbit (stick), diesel 1980 VW Dasher (stick), and a 4-cyl. 1989 Dodge Spirit (stick!). I would rank this Elantra up with any of them ... except for gas economy. The fuel economy is disappointing, but to fair, it does get what the sticker said it would (around 30 hwy). That was like worst of its class that year. (The 2011 Elantra is best! Oh well.) I love my Elantra.
By timat10
on 02/07/12 07:54 AM (PST)

My 2004 Hyundai Elantra GT has 105, 000 and I've averaged 34 MPG. Can get 36 on a good day on the highway. Get 30 intown traffic. 5 speed manual.

By papa52
on 05/29/14 15:51 PM (PDT)

I have an 04 Elantra GLS. I just did a 400 km. roundtrip to another town on a highway where the spped limit is 110 kph. I got, after converting everything from metric to imperial, a rather great 48.7 Mph. I am duly impressed. Now, please remember this is in Imperial measure since I live in Canada. I haven't done it in US gallons but of course there would be a significant reduction in my figures. Ok, I just HAD to do the conversion and it works out to 42.27 American MPG. Still, pretty impressive for a 10 yr. old car. This car has undoubtedly been the best I have owned. It is just now beginning to need wear and tear parts,(Timing belt, Exhaust system, Rear Sub Frame and so on. I have had 6 years of "after payments" cost free travel so a few hundred now and then to keep 'er purring is not a problem. I always keep my vehicles in top shape anyway. My next project is body work and new paint. Car Cancer has begun.