Used 2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 190 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great Little Car for Everybody
By nr1989

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car a few months ago from a lady who rarely drove it, only 9,000 miles in 5 years. Bought the car for my Grandmother, she likes the compact size because it is easier for her to drive and park. Have taken the car on small tips and 2000 mile trips, it is comfortable and will drive all day without a problem. Car has a lot of power, even my 20 something friends who have driven have commented on how quick it is. I never thought I would buy a foreign car, but this little Hyundai is great for everyone.

Power from a 4 Cylinder, Classy upholstery, smooth and quiet engine.

Separate seek/tune knobs, alloy wheels

Some Problems but overall a decent car
By Former Truck Guy

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle used in August of 08 to replace a wrecked vehicle. It is fun to drive. I average 28 miles to the gallon. I have replace two headlights and have had numerous break problems with both the rear brakes and the E brake. Hyundai has not been kind about repairs.

Power moon roof and manual transmission

Brakes and headlights. This could be just maintenance issues.......time will tell.

good little car
By robert

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for 4 years and put 150000 miles on it I am on my 4th set of tires found out not all tires work on this car have had a brake caliper stick right front that wore that pad out quick it was fixed under warranty just drove to Indiana from texas and back 2000 round trip and on a couple tanks of gas got 41 miles per gallon I have enjoyed this car and would buy another for the price been very dependable never left me stranded on the road like some other cars have

driving -handling lots of fun sound system dependable

not good in snow i agree with another review almost dangerous price for repair parts outrageous rotors and calipers might as well own lexus

Great City Car
By Millertime

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the best city car- for the money - I have ever owned. I still get 28 MPG combined even with 69k on it. There is plenty of power to hold your own on the freeway, or get around that annoying person with his turn signal on for miles. Turn on the AC and it's a different story. The power flat lines, and the gas mileage heads to the basement. The interior is roomy - better than my wifes '08 Civic -but pretty plain (O CD player in GLS). And you cannot seem to ever find a balance between having the steering wheel at a comfortable hight, and still see all of the instrument cluster. The trunk is huge, and will hold several full sized suit cases. All in all it's a great car.

Power (with AC off). Interior room. I have two kids and both car seats fit in the back with room to spare. The trunk. I can get a double stroller, diaper bag, and a toy bag back thee with room to spare.

A CD player (MP3 compatible) standard in he GLS. A telescoping steering column. More horses, so that the AC doesn't kill the power and MPG. Standard battery, as you have to take it into Hyundai to get the thing changed. A timing chain rather than a belt needing a change every 60k.

Not all it's cracked up to be.
By kherbert

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Hyundai Elantra after what i thought was sufficient research. The dealer and Hyundai billed it as comparable in quality to Toyota & Honda. That is a joke. I had rust on the rear vent windows and other places pretty quick. I take pretty good care of my cars too. I don't spoil them but I don't neglect routine maintenance and cleaning. I've had no end of issues with the headlights burning out. I've had to replace them both 4 times now (8 new headlights) and you can't do it yourself unless you've already got the tools. It's a pain.

Kenwood CD/MP3 player & radio Heated side view mirrors.

better quality headlights (or at least easier to replace ones) improve overall quality of materials. Plastic parts are cheap and crack easily.