2004 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
A great buy, few problems
By Rings on 01/14/08 05:34 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2004 Elantra is definitely something i will be keeping around for awhile. Some people might say that Hyundai does not make reliable cars, I don't know about Hyundai's past but i assure you that this sedan is nothing but reliable. I had purchased the car with only 18,000 miles on it and now it has over 50,000 in just one year. I still have not run into a single mechanical problem nor any interior problem. I had to replace the brakes but those are wearing parts. I drive both highway and city getting a 28mpg. It is most definitely not at its best when in snow though, it is actually not a snow friendly car at all. Ill just take it easy in snow and keep driving fun, good on gas, reliable car

Great overall, lousy in snow
By alfagirl on 12/21/07 08:14 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd Elantra, first being a 99 wagon; pleased with both, but one consistent problem: both are horrendous in snow. I think the tires are just too wide, and they float. I've driven in snow all my life - Italian sports cars to trucks; these are the first cars I've ever been seriously uncomfortable in. Snows all around help, but narrower rubber would be the best. Overall, great car, 5- spd gets 34 mpg consistently - on my 8 mile commute and highway (at 80 mph last time). Just replaced rotors all around - I don't normally go through brakes, but..??? Would recommend to anyone - great package for the price!!

great little car
By janice on 11/26/07 07:06 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with it immediately. I live in a hilly area and gas mileage is 28 mpg combined. Elantra has plenty of power for highway driving. It also handles well in snow. It has 52K miles on it and has never needed a repair. This car is an excellent buy for the money!

Everything I wanted
By Rudy on 08/18/07 20:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car because I regularly travel on two lane roads for two to three hours at a stretch. I wanted something that gave a comfortable ride, had good pull up hills, and got 30+ miles to the gallon. My Elantra gave me all of that. We are now looking at the 2008 Elantra for a family car.

04 GLS Elantra
By Ashley on 04/21/07 17:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car brand new. Very good for about 1.5 years, then had to replace brake pads 2 times in 1 year, among other problems. Not good handling, car does not want to turn. No acceleration.

Love this car!
By someone_somewhere on 04/12/07 14:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car over 2 years and never had a problem with it except one little dash light that stuck on and Hyundai fixed it free with no hassles.

Very good vehicle
By NormE on 03/09/07 17:42 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Elantra GT has been my first experience with leasing. When the lease expires in June, I will be sorry to let it go. I need more storage than the hatchback allows for several sets of golf clubs. Everything else about the vehicle has been above average. One missing nicety is a hatch release from inside; I cannot understand why this has been overlooked.

So far so good
By Mike on 01/06/07 14:00 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I received this car new as a graduation gift and since I have put on 78,000 miles and have had it just shy of 3 years. It has been a dependable car, and has had no mechanical issues since 2004. I don't know if I would by a Hyundai again, not that it has been bad, but rather because although it has been a good car, the scheduled mantainence is rather pricy, and rather frequent. Gas mileage also needs to improve over what it is (never above 30 in city...expect around 27/8, never above 34 highway...expect 31) If looking at cars, definitely give this one a look.

like the car
By like the car on 11/30/06 13:36 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

runs great, warranty a real plus, get lots of compliments on the style, affordable but doesn't look it

A good car for the price
By CN on 11/29/06 08:17 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This replaced a Camry that had too much 'crash customizing'. Overall, the car is well designed. With the rear seat down it holds a large amount of cargo considering the size of the car. There is adequate legroom for people over six feet tall. Sunroof tilts up to open as a 'no-draft. Less noise than opening a window. Still noisy though. Overall noise with all windows and roof closed is acceptable but not non-existent.