Used 2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

great car for a great price...
By DK

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car a year and 4 months ago. Haven't had any problems other than the crappy Kenwood MP3 player - it never wanted to play mp3's. I'm happy with the car though and I recently sent one to Europe. I haven't had any mechanical problems and I would definitly recommend the car to anyone who's looking to buy a compact sedan. I have friends with Civics and Sentras and they are not any better yet they're more expensive. The car is even roomier and better laid out inside. The GT is a great value but I think they should add a bigger engine if they wanna call it a "sporty."

The package on the GT... nice leather, rims, fog lights... well worth the extra $1,500!

The gas mileage I'm getting with it really is below par when compared to corolla, civic, sentra, etc. I don't even get up to 23mpg in the city with normal driving coditions. Get rid of that stupid Kenwood "mp3" player. A stronger engine for the GT. Make the GLS 5door the same price as the GLS 4door.

Excellent in all aspects
By Marco

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has many safety features. It’s comfortable, reliable, fun to drive and very detailed in both interior/exterior design. The features it offers are seldom found even in high-end brand of cars. Fuel economy is amazing. I average 39.4 MPG. Sometimes I exceed 40 MPG due to the manual transmission, which allows better RPM management. That’s why, overall, I don’t have complains, because it perfectly meets my “wants” and “needs”. In essence: I love it, and look forward to purchase either/or the 2006/2007 version, same model, if still in production (hopefully).

I would prefer a little more HP (currently 140), but I know I would have to sacrifice the current fuel efficiency for that.

Why Pay More For a Honda or Toyota
By PL GraBois

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 5 door GT,has the ride and feel of cars costing 5 - 10 thousand dollars more. Good gas mileage, 27-29, very quiet and euro looking. Never thought I'd like it till we drove it. Save your money as the warranty makes it worth owning

Std. Leather interior, great on gas, lots of features.

Under hood insaltion pad, std ABS breakes, offer a gas, electic version.

Reliable but Terrible in Bad Weather
By curt123

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got a great price last year on my previous 2004 GT Hatchback with the Automatic Tranny. Not much pep and transmission was confused easily. Tires lost tread very quickly and gas mileage was a major disappointment average 22mpg due to having to floor it often. Inside is very nice but leather showed distress within a few months. Last winter spell was its last, nearly crashed serveral times going to work on light snow covered roads. Good cheap college car in dry flat climates but in Pittsburgh it was not going to cut it, got a 2005 Subaru Forester this weekend (7,500 more), no comparison and I finally don't have sweaty palms in snowy conditions.

Great for Tall people, I'm 6'5". Nice standard features, MP3 stereo crisp handling in the dry. Nice style Great warranty 4 wheel disc brakes, Cheap Good for a dry climate, Good Highway Mileage

Bad gas mileage in the city/mix, slow, unsafe in winter conditions, light rear end even with 50 pounds of cat litter and other items still felt squrriely on light snow covered roads, ABS/TC option hard to find. Paint and interior materials are suspect in their quality/durability,

Nice car, needs more "GT" in the GT
By cheslers

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my wife's car and was purchased three weeks after I got my Mazda 3s 5-door. Both cars have a real nice fit and finish. I would recommend either one for the long haul. That's where the similarities end. The Elantra GT has bland looks. Not much separates it from the GLS sedan. The interior is nice, especially for the small amount it took to upgrade to the GT. On the peformance side, this is hardly worthy of the GT designation. The engine is reliable, but hardly a performer. The leather seats are slippery and unsupportive in turns. My biggest gripe would have to be the steering ratio. It takes too much movement to coax this car to turn. Nice reliable car, splurge for the 3s to add fun.

Build quality, feature rich, warranty, price.

Tighter steering ratio and nicer wheel and tire package for the GT, less confusing stereo, more power under the hood. Turbo, AWD and a 6 foot wing on the trunk, oh wait, that would make it Japanese.