2004 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Nice car, but could be better.
By SevenBizzos on 12/12/08 09:57 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2004 GT new and with the car approaching 5 years old, I'm overall satisfied with the car, but... Doing the suggested, periodic maintenance has been a huge headache, mostly focusing on the dealerships. The prices for the 30k, 60k, etc. check- ups are horribly overpriced and the dealerships don't even perform what the owner's manual suggests they do. You'll take your car in for a repair (like a PCV valve) and it's 10 minutes of sales talk before they tell you they haven't even looked at the car. I've even had them tell me I needed a grossly overpriced cabin filter replacement only to find it missing a week later when I did it myself. Thievery or the car didn't come with one.

Very Reliable Car at 60,000 miles
By Marcia on 10/23/08 11:47 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Elantra new and have had no major mechanical issues. I've had to replace brake pads once and front headlights twice (which the dealer replaced at no expense to me). My only complaint is that it is very noisy inside (road noise), but overall, am very satisfied with its performance.

Don't get the 5 spd.
By Roger on 09/18/08 08:32 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had a 2004 Elantra GT hatchback for two months. Great car - fast, safe, reliable, comfortable. However, the 5 spd. is extremely clunky; it feels more like a truck transmission than a car transmission. Moreover, the fog lights come on only when the headlights are on, which rather defeats the purpose of fog lights. Otherwise, terrific car.

Please Read
By swtness0924 on 08/31/08 15:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ive had my Hyundai which now has 46k miles now for just under 3 years now. Up until this year I was absolutely in love with my car, until it started giving me problems. I've replaced both front and back brakes twice within a year. I've had my transmission fluid flushed (shouldn't have had to do this). I've had problems with it stalling, the RPMs jumping like no other. I no longer feel safe in this vehicle nor would I ever recommend it to a new buyer. I've had it to the dealer 3 times and no one seems to know whats wrong, and everything that they "think" is causing it IS NOT covered under warranty. Paid for a warranty that doesn't cover a thing. I'm highly disappointed & looking for a new car!

After 4 years ...
By DetourM on 08/28/08 06:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After 4 years of owning my GT, I'm on my third set of tires (all good brands), have had the breaks replaced once and the front end aligned twice. This is all within the first 40k miles!!! The car is horrible in the snow, almost to the point of being dangerous. Other than that, I've had no other real issues. It still looks good and handles great. On my daily commute (city and highway driving) I average 28mpg. I'm debating if I want to buy a 2009 or go to a Civic/Corolla

Dependable Car!
By Trish on 06/05/08 10:55 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had one repair in 20 months of ownership! I have 75000 miles on this car and my only complaint is that It just won't break down and give me an excuse to buy a luxury car! LOL I get 26 miles per gallon even without cruise control.

Great little car...
By glassfern53 on 05/01/08 17:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This Elantra was my second Hyundai (and, I'll probably buy another). Never had a single problem with this car. The gas mileage is ok (24 mpg city and up to 30 mpg highway). I'm a fanatic about maintenance, but, great quality at a good price. Thanks Hyundai for this baby!

A Car You Grow to Love
By Guyton on 04/03/08 04:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was not all that excited to be trading in my two seater sports car for the Elantra. However, I was growing out of the racer boy image and I needed something practical and good on gas. Now, I can't figure out why I had been driving anything else. This car is great. It excels at the things a "daily driver" should excel at and it still surprises me with thoughtful features designed into the vehicle that I had not known about. Can you believe it can tow over 3000lbs! I just found that out today and my jaw dropped. Awesome car.

Awesome Car
By shall14 on 03/12/08 13:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my GT used in Oct 2005. The car has ample power off the line and for passing on the highway. The ride is quiet, and the Sport Tuned Suspension improves handling over the GLS. The interior has held up very well in the time I have had it. Plenty of room in the back, I actually fit four girls back there during a night on the town. Hyundai really dropped the ball eliminating the GT sedan in 2006. The current SE model offers a lot of the same features, but it does not handle as well as the GT and the electric steering does not give the same feedback.

Great Car - Better than an Acura
By jmmcconnell1962 on 03/03/08 11:42 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with this $15,000 car in my 3+ years of ownership which is more than I can say for my $40,000 Acura MDX. Other than the Passenger Airbag Sensor recall, this car has not been in for repairs other than the regular scheduled. The MDX has had several recalls for major items - power steering pump, transmission. Also had a cracked fuel tank pipe. It's really too bad that Hyundai is still getting penalized for being Korean and Acura/Honda gets high praise for being Japanese. I'll buy another Hyundai before a Honda/Acura product.