2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2004 Elantra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Sort Reviews by

Hyundai still makes bad cars
By tigertina

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The steering column started squeaking at 160,000kms. Never had that problem ever before with any other car. This problem is not covered in the warranty, and have learned other drivers have faced this problem. The car is too light and need to put in bricks to stabilize it on the road else it drifts. Didn't matter how many times it was checked over, its like the centre of gravity is off on this car. The car has too many blind spots. This car has had more problems with it then my 1997 fort escort with 345,000kms on it.

Favorite Features

there is nothing to say, except least the car was cheap.

Suggested Improvements

the company should own up to the fact that its steering is faulty and design a better looking car. Elimination or at least reduction in blind spots.

Nice car, but could be better.
By SevenBizzos

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2004 GT new and with the car approaching 5 years old, I'm overall satisfied with the car, but... Doing the suggested, periodic maintenance has been a huge headache, mostly focusing on the dealerships. The prices for the 30k, 60k, etc. check- ups are horribly overpriced and the dealerships don't even perform what the owner's manual suggests they do. You'll take your car in for a repair (like a PCV valve) and it's 10 minutes of sales talk before they tell you they haven't even looked at the car. I've even had them tell me I needed a grossly overpriced cabin filter replacement only to find it missing a week later when I did it myself. Thievery or the car didn't come with one.

Favorite Features

Highway driving is smooth, acceleration is adequate for the 2.0L engine. Oil changes are super easy. Overall, the car has held up well over 5 years. Car runs much more efficiently on 89 octane fuel.

Suggested Improvements

Headlight replacements are expensive and difficult. You have no room on the passenger side and the driver's requires you to take out the battery. Fuel economy could be better IMO. Getting 28-30mpg, but 30-33 should be normal. Because of the dealership, not buying Hyundai ever again.

Very Reliable Car at 60,000 miles
By Marcia

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Elantra new and have had no major mechanical issues. I've had to replace brake pads once and front headlights twice (which the dealer replaced at no expense to me). My only complaint is that it is very noisy inside (road noise), but overall, am very satisfied with its performance.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, nice stereo/CD player.

Don't get the 5 spd.
By Roger

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had a 2004 Elantra GT hatchback for two months. Great car - fast, safe, reliable, comfortable. However, the 5 spd. is extremely clunky; it feels more like a truck transmission than a car transmission. Moreover, the fog lights come on only when the headlights are on, which rather defeats the purpose of fog lights. Otherwise, terrific car.

Favorite Features

Generally good function and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

1) A 5 spd., eighty years after being invented, should be quick, short, and easy to use. Hyundai should fix theirs. 2) Fog lights should operate independently of headlights.

Please Read
By swtness0924

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ive had my Hyundai which now has 46k miles now for just under 3 years now. Up until this year I was absolutely in love with my car, until it started giving me problems. I've replaced both front and back brakes twice within a year. I've had my transmission fluid flushed (shouldn't have had to do this). I've had problems with it stalling, the RPMs jumping like no other. I no longer feel safe in this vehicle nor would I ever recommend it to a new buyer. I've had it to the dealer 3 times and no one seems to know whats wrong, and everything that they "think" is causing it IS NOT covered under warranty. Paid for a warranty that doesn't cover a thing. I'm highly disappointed & looking for a new car!

Favorite Features

Leather Seats/Sunroof/Cd player that changes color/

Suggested Improvements

The warranty claims to cover all this stuff until something goes wrong, then there is some sort of loop hole that says x,y and z aren't covered!

After 4 years ...
By DetourM

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After 4 years of owning my GT, I'm on my third set of tires (all good brands), have had the breaks replaced once and the front end aligned twice. This is all within the first 40k miles!!! The car is horrible in the snow, almost to the point of being dangerous. Other than that, I've had no other real issues. It still looks good and handles great. On my daily commute (city and highway driving) I average 28mpg. I'm debating if I want to buy a 2009 or go to a Civic/Corolla

Favorite Features

Leather interior, comfortable, drop down back seats, sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Eats up tires too quickly. Horrible in the snow.

Dependable Car!
By Trish

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had one repair in 20 months of ownership! I have 75000 miles on this car and my only complaint is that It just won't break down and give me an excuse to buy a luxury car! LOL I get 26 miles per gallon even without cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

Make driver's seat more comfortable.

Great little car...
By glassfern53

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This Elantra was my second Hyundai (and, I'll probably buy another). Never had a single problem with this car. The gas mileage is ok (24 mpg city and up to 30 mpg highway). I'm a fanatic about maintenance, but, great quality at a good price. Thanks Hyundai for this baby!

Favorite Features

It has all the "bells and whistles" elec. windows, side pockets for storage, mirrors, cup holders, you name it!

Suggested Improvements

Wish there were two cup holders in front instead of one, and, the drivers carpet wore out really fast, would like a better quality one!

A Car You Grow to Love
By Guyton

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was not all that excited to be trading in my two seater sports car for the Elantra. However, I was growing out of the racer boy image and I needed something practical and good on gas. Now, I can't figure out why I had been driving anything else. This car is great. It excels at the things a "daily driver" should excel at and it still surprises me with thoughtful features designed into the vehicle that I had not known about. Can you believe it can tow over 3000lbs! I just found that out today and my jaw dropped. Awesome car.

Favorite Features

Sprightly yet somehow miserly power plant, awesome cargo versitility with roof rack, fold down seats, and high tow capacity, security light on radio when face plate removed

Suggested Improvements

The stock alarm volume is pitiful, as is the horn... If it came in awd I would forgive all the above.

Awesome Car
By shall14

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my GT used in Oct 2005. The car has ample power off the line and for passing on the highway. The ride is quiet, and the Sport Tuned Suspension improves handling over the GLS. The interior has held up very well in the time I have had it. Plenty of room in the back, I actually fit four girls back there during a night on the town. Hyundai really dropped the ball eliminating the GT sedan in 2006. The current SE model offers a lot of the same features, but it does not handle as well as the GT and the electric steering does not give the same feedback.

Favorite Features

Leather, Sport Suspension, and alloy wheels for a low price. Fun to drive! Great Warranty.

Suggested Improvements

The lights on the center stack and clock should be purple to match the instrument cluster.