2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Not all it's cracked up to be.
By kherbert on 04/27/09 10:33 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Hyundai Elantra after what i thought was sufficient research. The dealer and Hyundai billed it as comparable in quality to Toyota & Honda. That is a joke. I had rust on the rear vent windows and other places pretty quick. I take pretty good care of my cars too. I don't spoil them but I don't neglect routine maintenance and cleaning. I've had no end of issues with the headlights burning out. I've had to replace them both 4 times now (8 new headlights) and you can't do it yourself unless you've already got the tools. It's a pain.

This is a great car
By emorse on 03/20/09 10:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After 99500 miles, this has been a great car - fun to drive, reliable, economical. The only repair I have ever paid for on our three Elantras was an oxygen sensor on this one. I replaced the rear brakes once (still OEM in front)and the tires twice (only got 35000 miles from the second set). Gas mileage is great, power is great, 5-speed shifts nicely.

I love my car
By Maria on 03/14/09 14:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my car. I wasn't sure about buying a Hyundai although I knew it had been selected as car of the year. However, my mechanic recommended it and I am super glad I listened to him. It is a fun car to drive, I can park it anywhere and gives me great mileage.

Great car!
By emorse on 03/05/09 13:10 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the GT for five years now, few problems, only one repair I had to pay for myself. Original clutch and front brakes. It's been fun to drive, economical and reliable. After 99,000 miles, I'm looking to trade on a Sonata, and I just wanted to say that anyone who buys one of these used, if it's been treated right, you're getting a great value.

Hyundai still makes bad cars
By tigertina on 12/18/08 12:45 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The steering column started squeaking at 160,000kms. Never had that problem ever before with any other car. This problem is not covered in the warranty, and have learned other drivers have faced this problem. The car is too light and need to put in bricks to stabilize it on the road else it drifts. Didn't matter how many times it was checked over, its like the centre of gravity is off on this car. The car has too many blind spots. This car has had more problems with it then my 1997 fort escort with 345,000kms on it.

Nice car, but could be better.
By SevenBizzos on 12/12/08 09:57 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2004 GT new and with the car approaching 5 years old, I'm overall satisfied with the car, but... Doing the suggested, periodic maintenance has been a huge headache, mostly focusing on the dealerships. The prices for the 30k, 60k, etc. check- ups are horribly overpriced and the dealerships don't even perform what the owner's manual suggests they do. You'll take your car in for a repair (like a PCV valve) and it's 10 minutes of sales talk before they tell you they haven't even looked at the car. I've even had them tell me I needed a grossly overpriced cabin filter replacement only to find it missing a week later when I did it myself. Thievery or the car didn't come with one.

Very Reliable Car at 60,000 miles
By Marcia on 10/23/08 11:47 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Elantra new and have had no major mechanical issues. I've had to replace brake pads once and front headlights twice (which the dealer replaced at no expense to me). My only complaint is that it is very noisy inside (road noise), but overall, am very satisfied with its performance.

Please Read
By swtness0924 on 08/31/08 15:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ive had my Hyundai which now has 46k miles now for just under 3 years now. Up until this year I was absolutely in love with my car, until it started giving me problems. I've replaced both front and back brakes twice within a year. I've had my transmission fluid flushed (shouldn't have had to do this). I've had problems with it stalling, the RPMs jumping like no other. I no longer feel safe in this vehicle nor would I ever recommend it to a new buyer. I've had it to the dealer 3 times and no one seems to know whats wrong, and everything that they "think" is causing it IS NOT covered under warranty. Paid for a warranty that doesn't cover a thing. I'm highly disappointed & looking for a new car!

After 4 years ...
By DetourM on 08/28/08 06:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After 4 years of owning my GT, I'm on my third set of tires (all good brands), have had the breaks replaced once and the front end aligned twice. This is all within the first 40k miles!!! The car is horrible in the snow, almost to the point of being dangerous. Other than that, I've had no other real issues. It still looks good and handles great. On my daily commute (city and highway driving) I average 28mpg. I'm debating if I want to buy a 2009 or go to a Civic/Corolla

Dependable Car!
By Trish on 06/05/08 10:55 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had one repair in 20 months of ownership! I have 75000 miles on this car and my only complaint is that It just won't break down and give me an excuse to buy a luxury car! LOL I get 26 miles per gallon even without cruise control.