Used 2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

like the car
By like the car

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

runs great, warranty a real plus, get lots of compliments on the style, affordable but doesn't look it

hatchback, tilt steering wheel,

A good car for the price
By CN

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This replaced a Camry that had too much 'crash customizing'. Overall, the car is well designed. With the rear seat down it holds a large amount of cargo considering the size of the car. There is adequate legroom for people over six feet tall. Sunroof tilts up to open as a 'no-draft. Less noise than opening a window. Still noisy though. Overall noise with all windows and roof closed is acceptable but not non-existent.

Kenwood sound system is very good. The sound is very clean. However, home-labeled cds are too thick and hang or skip. Cruise control is very good and seems not to vary speed much. Seats are comfortable without being 'squishy'.

Hatchback: placement of the rear speakers prevents using the entire width of the back to carry large objects. Sound system buttons: too small & labels very small print; not easy/safe to use at speed. Recommended tire pressure for the front is too low - tires look low. Wipers seem slower than should.

Extremely Happy
By Extremely Happy

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I brought my vehicle(not a Hyundai)in for a tune up and too kill time I went to the dealership next door and started test driving vehicles to see what kind of vehicle I wanted to own. I took the 5 speed for a ride & then the automatic. I loved them both. They were both roomy & comfortable, I couldn't figure which one I wanted. They were both awesome. They both had speed. I chose the automatic because of the sunroof & kenwood mp3 player. I still plan on getting the 5 speed. I get great gas mileage.

Great gas mileage 34.2 mpg, AWESOME stereo systom. My kids love playing their base thumping cd's.

Better tires are needed than what they come with.

Loving it so far.
By Ema

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Elantra GT for just under a year now.I bought it used for about $11K last May 2005 with 35,000 miles on it. It's fully loaded with sunroof, traction control, Kenwood CD Stereo w/ detachable face. No way I would have gotten so much for such that price from the other cars I was considering (Golf, Matrix, Protege, Saturn).I've got just over 52,000 miles on it now. I love this car. I drive 75 miles a day to get to work and driving around Chicago streets and highways is so much more comfortable. Cargo space is excellent for the size of the car. Only problem, that recently popped up, is with cruise control switch which was replaced by the warranty. Just regular maintanence so far

Almost everything -Leather trim that doesn't look cheap,Cargo space,MPG guage is great,Detachable face CD player,Warranty. Weight of the car (I don't feel like I'm swerving on the highway when its windy out like I did in my Saturn),Rarity of this model. I don't see that many out, but thats changing

Dent resistant side panels (very much needed) and better quality paint (scratches easier that it should),like other reviewers have pointed out. MPG could be better for the size of the car (and thats probably b/c its so heavy), but it's still pretty good. I'm averaging 27 combined HWY/City driving.

Skeptical at first but...
By Driven

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I couldn't have totaled my last Volvo at a worse time, financially. So, I went in search of some realiable transportation, telling myself that it would just be for a year max and then I could get into another Volvo. After reading about this car in the Kiplinger's Report, then reading the reviews on here and other sites, I called my dealership. Unfortunately, this was soon after a Hyundai ship had been lost at sea and these cars were a bit hard to come by but they found me one and even came down to my price. Well, it's been over two years and I'm still driving it. Not because I have to but because I actually like it. Quality, milage, it's there!

MILEAGE first and foremost. If I keep it around 55-60 on my commute, I can get 40+MPG. Surface streets, around 25MPG. All the features that came standard, leather, sunroof, Auto, CD and fog lamps. Also, the onboard computer that tells you your mileage. Just a great little car!

The stereo sounds great but it's a pain. Obviously geared to a younger driver. Came with very limited instructions. I can't even set the clock on the stereo, good thing the car has one that I can set right above the stereo.

• SUV