2004 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Great Little Car for Everybody
By nr1989 on 09/05/09 19:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car a few months ago from a lady who rarely drove it, only 9,000 miles in 5 years. Bought the car for my Grandmother, she likes the compact size because it is easier for her to drive and park. Have taken the car on small tips and 2000 mile trips, it is comfortable and will drive all day without a problem. Car has a lot of power, even my 20 something friends who have driven have commented on how quick it is. I never thought I would buy a foreign car, but this little Hyundai is great for everyone.

Some Problems but overall a decent car
By Former Truck Guy on 08/28/09 15:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle used in August of 08 to replace a wrecked vehicle. It is fun to drive. I average 28 miles to the gallon. I have replace two headlights and have had numerous break problems with both the rear brakes and the E brake. Hyundai has not been kind about repairs.

good little car
By robert on 08/17/09 19:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for 4 years and put 150000 miles on it I am on my 4th set of tires found out not all tires work on this car have had a brake caliper stick right front that wore that pad out quick it was fixed under warranty just drove to Indiana from texas and back 2000 round trip and on a couple tanks of gas got 41 miles per gallon I have enjoyed this car and would buy another for the price been very dependable never left me stranded on the road like some other cars have

Simply a Great Buy
By Careful Buyer on 06/26/09 03:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I researched plenty b4 buying my Elantra because I wanted a problem-free car (a real challenge when buying used). The '04 Elantra is highly rated by many car reviewers. Having owned mine for 6 months and driven 12,000 miles, I want to share how wonderful owning this car has been. I bought this car with 52K mi on it. It is a loaded 5-spd GT Hatch. I like the styling inside and out. I have not had a single mechanical problem. I have had to replace one headlight bulb and it was easy. If the biggest complaint about a car is changing headlight bulbs, common sense told me it is a smart car to buy. And the gas mileage? 35 MPG combined; that's 450 mi b4 the fuel light comes on! Worth every $ I paid.

Great City Car
By Millertime on 06/14/09 23:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the best city car- for the money - I have ever owned. I still get 28 MPG combined even with 69k on it. There is plenty of power to hold your own on the freeway, or get around that annoying person with his turn signal on for miles. Turn on the AC and it's a different story. The power flat lines, and the gas mileage heads to the basement. The interior is roomy - better than my wifes '08 Civic -but pretty plain (O CD player in GLS). And you cannot seem to ever find a balance between having the steering wheel at a comfortable hight, and still see all of the instrument cluster. The trunk is huge, and will hold several full sized suit cases. All in all it's a great car.

Not all it's cracked up to be.
By kherbert on 04/27/09 10:33 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Hyundai Elantra after what i thought was sufficient research. The dealer and Hyundai billed it as comparable in quality to Toyota & Honda. That is a joke. I had rust on the rear vent windows and other places pretty quick. I take pretty good care of my cars too. I don't spoil them but I don't neglect routine maintenance and cleaning. I've had no end of issues with the headlights burning out. I've had to replace them both 4 times now (8 new headlights) and you can't do it yourself unless you've already got the tools. It's a pain.

This is a great car
By emorse on 03/20/09 10:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After 99500 miles, this has been a great car - fun to drive, reliable, economical. The only repair I have ever paid for on our three Elantras was an oxygen sensor on this one. I replaced the rear brakes once (still OEM in front)and the tires twice (only got 35000 miles from the second set). Gas mileage is great, power is great, 5-speed shifts nicely.

I love my car
By Maria on 03/14/09 14:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my car. I wasn't sure about buying a Hyundai although I knew it had been selected as car of the year. However, my mechanic recommended it and I am super glad I listened to him. It is a fun car to drive, I can park it anywhere and gives me great mileage.

Great car!
By emorse on 03/05/09 13:10 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the GT for five years now, few problems, only one repair I had to pay for myself. Original clutch and front brakes. It's been fun to drive, economical and reliable. After 99,000 miles, I'm looking to trade on a Sonata, and I just wanted to say that anyone who buys one of these used, if it's been treated right, you're getting a great value.

Fine, but too much engine vibration
By jjrobert on 02/05/09 19:47 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Maybe I got the lemon, but there's too much engine vibration at 2500 rpm. My rear-view mirror sounds like it's trying to tell me something.