2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Great Car
By Gary on 01/11/10 13:19 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Our 04 Elantra was a great car for us. Unfortunately, it just got totaled after an accident. It was very reliable for us and we put minimal money into it outside of maintenance. We would definitely buy another one. It was our first car but will also probably be the best car we ever buy.

Great Reliability
By Michael Jordan on 01/11/10 12:52 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

this has been a great car. very reliable, have not had one mechanical problem with this car. i would buy this car again.

Great for the money.
By Diane's on 12/23/09 12:36 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What has been done to this car that is not a wear item: 1) Clutch interlock switch (so it starts). 2) Clutch Slave Cylinder (recently) Maintenance Items: 1) Timing Belt. 2) Front Brake Pads. 3) Tires. 4) Oil changes. 5) Antifreeze change. Super reliable.... I am in the rust belt, so I expect an exhaust pipe in the future.

Hyundai
By Charbabe86 on 12/03/09 21:45 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this care for almost 5 years. I haven't had a single problem with it other than minor things like oil changes, tire rotations, things like that. It was cheap and affordable...Hyundai's are by far the best car for the money.

Still going after 5 years
By KSierra on 11/23/09 15:27 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Elantra just a little over 5 years ago and it’s still going. I purchased the extended 100,000mi/10yr bumper to bumper warranty. I’ve had to have my air bag sensors (both driver and passenger)and Kenwood CD player replaced. I’ve also replaced my headlights a few times. Didn’t have to pay for any of it! I leave my headlights on ALL the time so burning them out is to be expected. Over all I’m am super happy with my Elantra. I drive between 20 and 30 miles every day on average and get great mileage. Maintenance is a little pricey (in for my 60k,today ouch!) but the dealership is reliable and friendly (same guys in the service department since I got my car!)

A big time lemon!!!
By John N on 10/12/09 08:25 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car gave me problems practically from the get go. The air conditioner went out literally 8 times in the 5 years I owned it!!! The first 6 were covered under warranty, but after the warranty expired, the dealership refused to stand by their work and fix it for free. Also, both cv joints went, and the cooler system needed major repairs. All of this before 80,000 miles, and I was meticulous with the maintenance. I never missed anything. I will never buy a Hyundai again.

Great Little Car for Everybody
By nr1989 on 09/05/09 19:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car a few months ago from a lady who rarely drove it, only 9,000 miles in 5 years. Bought the car for my Grandmother, she likes the compact size because it is easier for her to drive and park. Have taken the car on small tips and 2000 mile trips, it is comfortable and will drive all day without a problem. Car has a lot of power, even my 20 something friends who have driven have commented on how quick it is. I never thought I would buy a foreign car, but this little Hyundai is great for everyone.

Some Problems but overall a decent car
By Former Truck Guy on 08/28/09 15:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle used in August of 08 to replace a wrecked vehicle. It is fun to drive. I average 28 miles to the gallon. I have replace two headlights and have had numerous break problems with both the rear brakes and the E brake. Hyundai has not been kind about repairs.

good little car
By robert on 08/17/09 19:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for 4 years and put 150000 miles on it I am on my 4th set of tires found out not all tires work on this car have had a brake caliper stick right front that wore that pad out quick it was fixed under warranty just drove to Indiana from texas and back 2000 round trip and on a couple tanks of gas got 41 miles per gallon I have enjoyed this car and would buy another for the price been very dependable never left me stranded on the road like some other cars have

Great City Car
By Millertime on 06/14/09 23:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the best city car- for the money - I have ever owned. I still get 28 MPG combined even with 69k on it. There is plenty of power to hold your own on the freeway, or get around that annoying person with his turn signal on for miles. Turn on the AC and it's a different story. The power flat lines, and the gas mileage heads to the basement. The interior is roomy - better than my wifes '08 Civic -but pretty plain (O CD player in GLS). And you cannot seem to ever find a balance between having the steering wheel at a comfortable hight, and still see all of the instrument cluster. The trunk is huge, and will hold several full sized suit cases. All in all it's a great car.