Used 2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Most Helpful|
I was pleasantly shocked
By jacobe

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car and I love it. It handles very well, the best out of all the ones I test drove. It has 102k miles on it, so I replaced the timing belt and some other items, but other then that it runs amazing. Has never left me stranded. The acceleration is very good, for the size of the motor. Also this car goes amazing in snow. When we had our blizzard where we got 6 in. I was going around 4wd drive trucks that were stuck in the snow. Overall it is a great little.

Favorite Features

The acceleration with the 5spd. manual. Easy to drive, and fun to drive. Reliability Standard safety equipment.

Suggested Improvements

The paint scratches kinda easily because it is thin. More then two cup holders in the back.

Such a good car
By missij12

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new back in college. 8 years and 100k miles later I'm finally about to give it up for something larger. The biggest repair I've ever had to do on this car is replace the battery. Other than that, every day this car has started right up and performed great. It's been all over the country and even got me through the mountains without a problem. I couldn't ask for better gas mileage out of a car with such good acceleration. I did install an aftermarket stereo a few years ago to support my Ipod but the factory stereo was fine besides that. It's going to be hard to say goodbye!

130,000K miles, and it's perfect!
By petarvn1

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was bought for my eldest brother when he started college. He got this car in '11 with 101K miles on it. Since then, another 30ishK miles have come and gone, and it's as fresh as ever. It does show it's age (fuel tank has hairline fracture in it, has needed a lot of engine parts replaced recently) but for a car driven like this one, it's not bad at all! The manual gets better MPG's than our 40K mile '06 auto elantra, and it looks just as good! Just one problem with this car, and that's the trunk. It's large, but not as larger as the hatch's. Overall, a great 1'st car (especially for $4995!) Only problem right now is a missing trim piece that fell off due to bad glue!

Favorite Features

The shifter is nice and light, sound system (has aftermarket subwoofer) is as good as ones in brand new cars, and it's very good in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

After the 120K mark, watch out for the window trim, if you live in a wet, rainy place, it will fall off. Window mechanisms are also flimsy, we had 2 brake,one during a rainstorm, with the window down!

Farewell, old friend
By avhelp

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Someone once told me machines don't have a soul. I disagree. My Hyundai took me to work and happy places, safely and always got me home. We logged 131K miles together, and it just got to the point where it got tired. Life had been perfect except for a battery at 100K. Now, at 131K, We needed new struts,shocks, breaks, timing belt, water pump, CV joints, tires and headlight glass. With all that mileage, how much longer could we go on before something big broke? I took the repair money and bought it's cute cousin, the SOUL. I know the Kia and Hyundai family are as one, so I am looking forward to more far off trips to enjoy. Thank you, Blue Hyundai, for taking me to and from safely.

Favorite Features

My favoite feature of this car is the air conditioning. I can think of only 2 days last winter where I opened the window to the South Florida breeze. Another favorite was the great stock speakers. I replaced the car radio with one with an AUX jack for my EVO 4G, and the sound from PANDORA is fantastic. No need for Seirus- digital sound from the Internet! The most important feature was the reliabitily. Turn the key and go. Always. Even when the battery was going bad, it still turned over first try.

Suggested Improvements

I held the steering wheel with my left arm perched on the window sill and my hand clutched the steering wheel at the junction of the spoke to the horn ring. Eventually, this coating started to flake off, probably from the oils in my hand. A $12.00 steering wheel cover hid the missing rubber coating from the steel wheel. If Hyundai would go back to a steel timing chain, it would make maintenance a lot cheaper. Major engine surgery every 70K? No need, a better design is needed. Actually, no complaints. I am selling my Hyundai cheap because of the repairs needed due to wear.

Hyundai Elantra
By drealee73

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was in an accident with my 2004 Hyundai Elantra and although it was totaled, there is nothing bad I can say about this car. The other guy ran a red light and I t-boned him at 60 mph. The airbag deployed and my seat belt did not break. This accident was three days ago and I'm just sore. No broken bones. I was at the emergency room for about 30 minutes and was told I was fine and could leave. My Hyundai Elantra saved my life and that is why I'm taking the time to write this review. I highly recommend this vehicle for its comfort, safety, size, and pretty much everything else about it.

Favorite Features

The thing I loved most about my Elantra was how comfortable and large it was on the inside but it still looked great on the outside.

Suggested Improvements

There is nothing to improve about this vehicle.