Used 2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Don't get the 5 spd.
By Roger

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had a 2004 Elantra GT hatchback for two months. Great car - fast, safe, reliable, comfortable. However, the 5 spd. is extremely clunky; it feels more like a truck transmission than a car transmission. Moreover, the fog lights come on only when the headlights are on, which rather defeats the purpose of fog lights. Otherwise, terrific car.

Generally good function and reliability.

1) A 5 spd., eighty years after being invented, should be quick, short, and easy to use. Hyundai should fix theirs. 2) Fog lights should operate independently of headlights.

A Car You Grow to Love
By Guyton

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was not all that excited to be trading in my two seater sports car for the Elantra. However, I was growing out of the racer boy image and I needed something practical and good on gas. Now, I can't figure out why I had been driving anything else. This car is great. It excels at the things a "daily driver" should excel at and it still surprises me with thoughtful features designed into the vehicle that I had not known about. Can you believe it can tow over 3000lbs! I just found that out today and my jaw dropped. Awesome car.

Sprightly yet somehow miserly power plant, awesome cargo versitility with roof rack, fold down seats, and high tow capacity, security light on radio when face plate removed

The stock alarm volume is pitiful, as is the horn... If it came in awd I would forgive all the above.

Great Car - Better than an Acura
By jmmcconnell1962

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with this $15,000 car in my 3+ years of ownership which is more than I can say for my $40,000 Acura MDX. Other than the Passenger Airbag Sensor recall, this car has not been in for repairs other than the regular scheduled. The MDX has had several recalls for major items - power steering pump, transmission. Also had a cracked fuel tank pipe. It's really too bad that Hyundai is still getting penalized for being Korean and Acura/Honda gets high praise for being Japanese. I'll buy another Hyundai before a Honda/Acura product.

5 speed manual - maybe not as slick as some but still alot of fun to drive. Hatchback - too bad that hatchbacks aren't as popular in the US. I can carry full size furniture with the seat folded.

Better tires - yes they're quiet but not much use in rain/snow. Sportier suspension - it is afterall labeled a GT. Faster wipers.

great little car
By janice

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with it immediately. I live in a hilly area and gas mileage is 28 mpg combined. Elantra has plenty of power for highway driving. It also handles well in snow. It has 52K miles on it and has never needed a repair. This car is an excellent buy for the money!

The hatchback is great and holds a lot. With the rear seats down, you can easily carry large items as well.

The seats are not very comfortable on long trips. I wish you could adjust the height of the driver's seat because I am short.

Very good vehicle
By NormE

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Elantra GT has been my first experience with leasing. When the lease expires in June, I will be sorry to let it go. I need more storage than the hatchback allows for several sets of golf clubs. Everything else about the vehicle has been above average. One missing nicety is a hatch release from inside; I cannot understand why this has been overlooked.

Heated front seats. I added the premium leather package to get these, but my back has really enjoyed the warmth,even in summer after a tough round of golf!

Provide a release for the hatchback somewhere on the dash. I hate having to exit the vehicle to help passengers retrieve their stuff from the back!