2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
like the car
By like the car on 11/30/06 13:36 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

runs great, warranty a real plus, get lots of compliments on the style, affordable but doesn't look it

A good car for the price
By CN on 11/29/06 08:17 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This replaced a Camry that had too much 'crash customizing'. Overall, the car is well designed. With the rear seat down it holds a large amount of cargo considering the size of the car. There is adequate legroom for people over six feet tall. Sunroof tilts up to open as a 'no-draft. Less noise than opening a window. Still noisy though. Overall noise with all windows and roof closed is acceptable but not non-existent.

Extremely Happy
By Extremely Happy on 07/28/06 15:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I brought my vehicle(not a Hyundai)in for a tune up and too kill time I went to the dealership next door and started test driving vehicles to see what kind of vehicle I wanted to own. I took the 5 speed for a ride & then the automatic. I loved them both. They were both roomy & comfortable, I couldn't figure which one I wanted. They were both awesome. They both had speed. I chose the automatic because of the sunroof & kenwood mp3 player. I still plan on getting the 5 speed. I get great gas mileage.

Loving it so far.
By Ema on 03/08/06 15:23 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Elantra GT for just under a year now.I bought it used for about $11K last May 2005 with 35,000 miles on it. It's fully loaded with sunroof, traction control, Kenwood CD Stereo w/ detachable face. No way I would have gotten so much for such that price from the other cars I was considering (Golf, Matrix, Protege, Saturn).I've got just over 52,000 miles on it now. I love this car. I drive 75 miles a day to get to work and driving around Chicago streets and highways is so much more comfortable. Cargo space is excellent for the size of the car. Only problem, that recently popped up, is with cruise control switch which was replaced by the warranty. Just regular maintanence so far

Skeptical at first but...
By Driven on 03/06/06 12:35 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I couldn't have totaled my last Volvo at a worse time, financially. So, I went in search of some realiable transportation, telling myself that it would just be for a year max and then I could get into another Volvo. After reading about this car in the Kiplinger's Report, then reading the reviews on here and other sites, I called my dealership. Unfortunately, this was soon after a Hyundai ship had been lost at sea and these cars were a bit hard to come by but they found me one and even came down to my price. Well, it's been over two years and I'm still driving it. Not because I have to but because I actually like it. Quality, milage, it's there!

great car for a great price...
By DK on 01/18/06 23:52 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car a year and 4 months ago. Haven't had any problems other than the crappy Kenwood MP3 player - it never wanted to play mp3's. I'm happy with the car though and I recently sent one to Europe. I haven't had any mechanical problems and I would definitly recommend the car to anyone who's looking to buy a compact sedan. I have friends with Civics and Sentras and they are not any better yet they're more expensive. The car is even roomier and better laid out inside. The GT is a great value but I think they should add a bigger engine if they wanna call it a "sporty."

Excellent in all aspects
By Marco on 08/23/05 16:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has many safety features. It’s comfortable, reliable, fun to drive and very detailed in both interior/exterior design. The features it offers are seldom found even in high-end brand of cars. Fuel economy is amazing. I average 39.4 MPG. Sometimes I exceed 40 MPG due to the manual transmission, which allows better RPM management. That’s why, overall, I don’t have complains, because it perfectly meets my “wants” and “needs”. In essence: I love it, and look forward to purchase either/or the 2006/2007 version, same model, if still in production (hopefully).

Why Pay More For a Honda or Toyota
By PL GraBois on 03/27/05 03:22 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 5 door GT,has the ride and feel of cars costing 5 - 10 thousand dollars more. Good gas mileage, 27-29, very quiet and euro looking. Never thought I'd like it till we drove it. Save your money as the warranty makes it worth owning

Reliable but Terrible in Bad Weather
By curt123 on 02/26/05 16:59 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got a great price last year on my previous 2004 GT Hatchback with the Automatic Tranny. Not much pep and transmission was confused easily. Tires lost tread very quickly and gas mileage was a major disappointment average 22mpg due to having to floor it often. Inside is very nice but leather showed distress within a few months. Last winter spell was its last, nearly crashed serveral times going to work on light snow covered roads. Good cheap college car in dry flat climates but in Pittsburgh it was not going to cut it, got a 2005 Subaru Forester this weekend (7,500 more), no comparison and I finally don't have sweaty palms in snowy conditions.

Nice car, needs more "GT" in the GT
By cheslers on 01/29/05 22:08 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my wife's car and was purchased three weeks after I got my Mazda 3s 5-door. Both cars have a real nice fit and finish. I would recommend either one for the long haul. That's where the similarities end. The Elantra GT has bland looks. Not much separates it from the GLS sedan. The interior is nice, especially for the small amount it took to upgrade to the GT. On the peformance side, this is hardly worthy of the GT designation. The engine is reliable, but hardly a performer. The leather seats are slippery and unsupportive in turns. My biggest gripe would have to be the steering ratio. It takes too much movement to coax this car to turn. Nice reliable car, splurge for the 3s to add fun.