Used 2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

My Review
By Coryk14

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good experience so far

Favorite Features

Leather, Power everything

Suggested Improvements

Build quality

Real Review, this is not a 10 CAR!!
By CamaroCurt

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is an OK car, nothing special especially in terms of the materials used. Car has many squeaks/rattles/buzzes that the dealer does not want to address. Car handles well and the 4 wheel discs work well. Seats are comfy and I fit, 6'5" 225lbs nicely. Build quality is only fair due to rattles and cheapness of interior materials, seats are already showing wear?? in 2 months... This concerns me. Car can be caught completely flat footed on hills where it WILL NOT downshift, the lead tech told me this was a KNOWN issue , he also said they were not as well made as the Sonata,

Favorite Features

Handling, Styling, Radio, Ergo's, Seat, Room. Gets me to work and saves wear and tear on my Iroc.

Suggested Improvements

15-20 HP, this is a GT and its Heavier than the Comp. Better Build Quality. Make ABS Standard. Rattles and Buzzes (Turn up the Radio), let the transmission downshift when its slightly above 30 on grades, just bogs :0(Buy a Base Sonata you will probably be happier

Bang For Your Buck
By Valubuyer

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my GT Hatchback for 30 days now. I have found it to be a fantastic car. I realize there are a significant percentage of buyers out there who will not be satisfied unless they have paid a lot of money for their vehicle. Try as you might, you will be unable to pay more than $14,000, so you folks will need to look elsewhere. I went with the hatchback vs. the sedan trim based on the distinctive style. A word of caution however; the hatchback model with ABS/moonroof package seems to be a pretty rare animal. Be prepared to wait for delivery.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine, moonroof, comfortable leather seats, lots of front-leg room, cavernous cargo area, distinctive exterior styling. An overlooked quality of the Elantra is the W-I-D-E back seat. My three sons (ages 7, 5 & 3) are comfortably spaced even with the youngest in a car seat.

Suggested Improvements

I think performance can be enhanced, with the same or better mileage results, using a 2.3 liter engine that delivers around 150 hp. My quibbles are small compared to my satisfaction. If you are skeptical (hey, I was) but tempted based on price, at least give it a test drive.

Best Car for the Money
By Francois

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I just said goodbye to my 97 Elantra and decided to go back with Hyundai. The new Elantra is big, more powerful and much more attractive. I got the GT Hatchback fully loaded for $14K. No ABS however. The leather (the real thing) is very nice, the purple/red dashboard illumination at night is very "cool". The sounds system is quite impressive for a car of this price. However i love that it can play MP3 CDs. No one can beat the warranty and you won't be able to find another car with Leather, Sunroof, impressive sounds systems, Alarm, power everything for the price. The ride is very quiet, even with the sunroof open on the highway.. VERY IMPRESSIVE!

Favorite Features

Dashboard color, Remote door lock/openig, Radio, Seats are very comfortable (I'm a road rep, that's important) powerful A/C. Trip computer is awsome and very practical.

Suggested Improvements

The Radio could be less complex and the buttons on it could be bigger. Power window switches could be illuminated at night. Outside temperature gage would be a nice touch.

GREAT CAR!!!
By Elantre

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Amazig car, for any money. Maybe not any money but Its worht at least 23-28K and I got my GT Hatchback fully loaded with ABS and Sunroof dont forget the leather CD alloys great 5-door styling unlike mazda and ford which are just wagons for under 15K out the door.

Favorite Features

The BEST ergonomics, minus the cruise control, in this class. VERY comfortable for long rides and great storage capacity upfront and in the hatch.

Suggested Improvements

More horeses can never hurt but then again i say that about my Mustnag Cobra too. Ditch the stalk cruise for standard thumb buttons.