2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
130,000K miles, and it's perfect!
By petarvn1 on 02/26/13 21:22 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was bought for my eldest brother when he started college. He got this car in '11 with 101K miles on it. Since then, another 30ishK miles have come and gone, and it's as fresh as ever. It does show it's age (fuel tank has hairline fracture in it, has needed a lot of engine parts replaced recently) but for a car driven like this one, it's not bad at all! The manual gets better MPG's than our 40K mile '06 auto elantra, and it looks just as good! Just one problem with this car, and that's the trunk. It's large, but not as larger as the hatch's. Overall, a great 1'st car (especially for $4995!) Only problem right now is a missing trim piece that fell off due to bad glue!

Farewell, old friend
By avhelp on 08/02/12 21:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Someone once told me machines don't have a soul. I disagree. My Hyundai took me to work and happy places, safely and always got me home. We logged 131K miles together, and it just got to the point where it got tired. Life had been perfect except for a battery at 100K. Now, at 131K, We needed new struts,shocks, breaks, timing belt, water pump, CV joints, tires and headlight glass. With all that mileage, how much longer could we go on before something big broke? I took the repair money and bought it's cute cousin, the SOUL. I know the Kia and Hyundai family are as one, so I am looking forward to more far off trips to enjoy. Thank you, Blue Hyundai, for taking me to and from safely.

Such a good car
By missij12 on 03/04/12 16:25 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new back in college. 8 years and 100k miles later I'm finally about to give it up for something larger. The biggest repair I've ever had to do on this car is replace the battery. Other than that, every day this car has started right up and performed great. It's been all over the country and even got me through the mountains without a problem. I couldn't ask for better gas mileage out of a car with such good acceleration. I did install an aftermarket stereo a few years ago to support my Ipod but the factory stereo was fine besides that. It's going to be hard to say goodbye!

Hyundai Elantra
By drealee73 on 11/03/11 17:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was in an accident with my 2004 Hyundai Elantra and although it was totaled, there is nothing bad I can say about this car. The other guy ran a red light and I t-boned him at 60 mph. The airbag deployed and my seat belt did not break. This accident was three days ago and I'm just sore. No broken bones. I was at the emergency room for about 30 minutes and was told I was fine and could leave. My Hyundai Elantra saved my life and that is why I'm taking the time to write this review. I highly recommend this vehicle for its comfort, safety, size, and pretty much everything else about it.

2004 Hyundai Elantra
By tlc51 on 05/19/11 14:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my elantra 5 years ago second hand with almost 40k on the clock. In the time that i have been driving this vehicle it has performed very well. Trips to Queensland and other parts of N.S.W. and on quite a few occations towed a trailer or a caravan with this car with no faults at all but only recently replaced the starter moter. had all the servicing done accoding to the log book and had the timming belt relaced . and now in may of 2011 i have only done 125,000. ks I did have a bit of trouble with the remote to unlock and lock the car as the warrenty was comming to the end and was charged for the recharge of another remote . but inall it has been my best car yet .

Great except for gas economy for size
By jobber1 on 05/14/11 08:22 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought it new and now have 162 K on it. Nothing's been required beyond standard maintenance. I have never had any problems with it and it is fun and comfortable to drive (and I am 6'10"). I have owned a 1972 Fiat 124 sedan (auto), 1982 Toyota Tercel (stick), 2001 Honda Accord (auto), 1974 VW Rabbit (stick), diesel 1980 VW Dasher (stick), and a 4-cyl. 1989 Dodge Spirit (stick!). I would rank this Elantra up with any of them ... except for gas economy. The fuel economy is disappointing, but to fair, it does get what the sticker said it would (around 30 hwy). That was like worst of its class that year. (The 2011 Elantra is best! Oh well.) I love my Elantra.

I was pleasantly shocked
By jacobe on 03/23/11 17:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car and I love it. It handles very well, the best out of all the ones I test drove. It has 102k miles on it, so I replaced the timing belt and some other items, but other then that it runs amazing. Has never left me stranded. The acceleration is very good, for the size of the motor. Also this car goes amazing in snow. When we had our blizzard where we got 6 in. I was going around 4wd drive trucks that were stuck in the snow. Overall it is a great little.

Zip, Zap but no Zoom
By Prit on 06/25/10 12:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Just recently bought it 2nd hand with 82k on it. I loved its light body and they way it moves around city. I drove 2 heavy cars before, 96 Camry and 2000 infiniti both v6. This car is feather light. I love it driving around city where it is more fun. It zips and zaps around corner. Heavy driving is boring with this car, where heavier car excels for it comfort. Good mileage. Younger generation will love this car it feels like i am driving a go cart. Highly recommended it will put smile on your face.

Love This Car
By Kris K on 05/17/10 12:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 04 Hyundai "used" as a lease vehicle previously. This is the most reliable car I have ever owned. I like all of the standard features that on other models would cost extra. I have had to replace the radiator at about 90K, replaced the back brakes and rotors at about 100K, and have needed to replace headlights about every 6 months. The biggest inconvenience has been replacing the headlights, but this pales in comparison to the overall reliability of the car. I recently totaled this car (not due to the car!) . One thing that concerns me is that the airbag did not deploy in my head on collision. But I like this car so much that I am looking for another Elantra to replace it.

Great Car
By pooh on 03/24/10 16:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I really like my car. No major issues. I had car break down but Garden Grove Hyundai took care of it and it was covered under warranty. I would definitely buy another Hyundai. Very dependable and worth the money. I seem to not get as good mileage as they claim but still overly happy with vehicle.