Used 2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Best car I ever owned
By ackr13

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Hyundai new in April 2004. I now have 123,000 miles on and could not be more pleased. Besides replacing tires and brakes( front rotors one time) the only repairs have been Timing belt, water pump, belts, tune-up with plugs & plug wires and front struts all done at 100,000 miles. Runs as good as new with very little rattle. I did replace the hatch lid struts 2 years ago.I average 24MPH in city driving, 32 on a trip.
Love this car. I will run it till it dies. I traded my wife's 2006 Elantra GT in on a 2012 Santa Fe. Don't regret it a bit. Another great vehicle.

Everything !!!

Great car!!
By pnpain

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We've had our car since (I think) Spring of 2004. It is a great little car! Nearly everything about it is excellent! Pick-up and go is good except for when the AC is on and you are trying to get onto the freeway. The seats are a bit uncomfortable for long trips (2+ hours) though.

Our CD player/faceplate is glitchy after all these years. If you press a button (even the off button) too hard it shorts out the faceplate and when you let go it turns back on. Sometimes it simply wont work unless you remove the face plate and put it back on.

Our car only has just less than 98,000 miles on it.

sport-tuned steering, look, leg room is great, large hatchback area, power everything.

Find ways to prevent rusting on hatchback, provide extra power when AC is on and the car is trying to get on freeway, make it so that you don't have to remove the battery to change the driver side headlight!!! We can't change our headlights ourselves due to this problem.

Great First Car
By drivinglove4l

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The 2004 hyundai elantra gt was my first car, I recently got in an accident on the freeway and my car was totaled. I only had the car for 6 weeks, but I loved it, it was comfortable to drive and got me where i needed to go. I have been looking for another car but have yet to find one that compares in my mind, i would definately recommend this car and i wish i could find another one.

I would suggest more cup holders, there was only 4, two in the center and two on the doors, the ones on the doors could not fit anything but a water bottle and the ones in the center could fit 2 water bottles, but not 2 large soda cups.

Simply a Great Buy
By Careful Buyer

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I researched plenty b4 buying my Elantra because I wanted a problem-free car (a real challenge when buying used). The '04 Elantra is highly rated by many car reviewers. Having owned mine for 6 months and driven 12,000 miles, I want to share how wonderful owning this car has been. I bought this car with 52K mi on it. It is a loaded 5-spd GT Hatch. I like the styling inside and out. I have not had a single mechanical problem. I have had to replace one headlight bulb and it was easy. If the biggest complaint about a car is changing headlight bulbs, common sense told me it is a smart car to buy. And the gas mileage? 35 MPG combined; that's 450 mi b4 the fuel light comes on! Worth every $ I paid.

Styling; the hatch especially does not feel like an "econo-box". Cup holders! MP3 playable CD player! Trip computer! Fun gear shifting! Leather seats. Versatility of a hatch configuration. Dependable. AWESOME GAS MILEAGE even with 4 adults, luggage AND the AC blowing.

Seats could offer more back support. Lots of road noise above 70 MPH.

Fine, but too much engine vibration
By jjrobert

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Maybe I got the lemon, but there's too much engine vibration at 2500 rpm. My rear-view mirror sounds like it's trying to tell me something.

Leather seats, manual transmission