2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Best car I ever owned
By ackr13 on 02/25/14 14:17 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Hyundai new in April 2004. I now have 123,000 miles on and could not be more pleased. Besides replacing tires and brakes( front rotors one time) the only repairs have been Timing belt, water pump, belts, tune-up with plugs & plug wires and front struts all done at 100,000 miles. Runs as good as new with very little rattle. I did replace the hatch lid struts 2 years ago.I average 24MPH in city driving, 32 on a trip. Love this car. I will run it till it dies. I traded my wife's 2006 Elantra GT in on a 2012 Santa Fe. Don't regret it a bit. Another great vehicle.

Great car!!
By pnpain on 06/09/13 09:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We've had our car since (I think) Spring of 2004. It is a great little car! Nearly everything about it is excellent! Pick-up and go is good except for when the AC is on and you are trying to get onto the freeway. The seats are a bit uncomfortable for long trips (2+ hours) though. Our CD player/faceplate is glitchy after all these years. If you press a button (even the off button) too hard it shorts out the faceplate and when you let go it turns back on. Sometimes it simply wont work unless you remove the face plate and put it back on. Our car only has just less than 98,000 miles on it.

Great First Car
By drivinglove4l on 11/17/12 22:56 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The 2004 hyundai elantra gt was my first car, I recently got in an accident on the freeway and my car was totaled. I only had the car for 6 weeks, but I loved it, it was comfortable to drive and got me where i needed to go. I have been looking for another car but have yet to find one that compares in my mind, i would definately recommend this car and i wish i could find another one.

Simply a Great Buy
By Careful Buyer on 06/26/09 03:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I researched plenty b4 buying my Elantra because I wanted a problem-free car (a real challenge when buying used). The '04 Elantra is highly rated by many car reviewers. Having owned mine for 6 months and driven 12,000 miles, I want to share how wonderful owning this car has been. I bought this car with 52K mi on it. It is a loaded 5-spd GT Hatch. I like the styling inside and out. I have not had a single mechanical problem. I have had to replace one headlight bulb and it was easy. If the biggest complaint about a car is changing headlight bulbs, common sense told me it is a smart car to buy. And the gas mileage? 35 MPG combined; that's 450 mi b4 the fuel light comes on! Worth every $ I paid.

Fine, but too much engine vibration
By jjrobert on 02/05/09 19:47 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Maybe I got the lemon, but there's too much engine vibration at 2500 rpm. My rear-view mirror sounds like it's trying to tell me something.

Don't get the 5 spd.
By Roger on 09/18/08 08:32 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had a 2004 Elantra GT hatchback for two months. Great car - fast, safe, reliable, comfortable. However, the 5 spd. is extremely clunky; it feels more like a truck transmission than a car transmission. Moreover, the fog lights come on only when the headlights are on, which rather defeats the purpose of fog lights. Otherwise, terrific car.

A Car You Grow to Love
By Guyton on 04/03/08 04:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was not all that excited to be trading in my two seater sports car for the Elantra. However, I was growing out of the racer boy image and I needed something practical and good on gas. Now, I can't figure out why I had been driving anything else. This car is great. It excels at the things a "daily driver" should excel at and it still surprises me with thoughtful features designed into the vehicle that I had not known about. Can you believe it can tow over 3000lbs! I just found that out today and my jaw dropped. Awesome car.

Great Car - Better than an Acura
By jmmcconnell1962 on 03/03/08 11:42 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with this $15,000 car in my 3+ years of ownership which is more than I can say for my $40,000 Acura MDX. Other than the Passenger Airbag Sensor recall, this car has not been in for repairs other than the regular scheduled. The MDX has had several recalls for major items - power steering pump, transmission. Also had a cracked fuel tank pipe. It's really too bad that Hyundai is still getting penalized for being Korean and Acura/Honda gets high praise for being Japanese. I'll buy another Hyundai before a Honda/Acura product.

great little car
By janice on 11/26/07 07:06 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with it immediately. I live in a hilly area and gas mileage is 28 mpg combined. Elantra has plenty of power for highway driving. It also handles well in snow. It has 52K miles on it and has never needed a repair. This car is an excellent buy for the money!

Very good vehicle
By NormE on 03/09/07 17:42 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Elantra GT has been my first experience with leasing. When the lease expires in June, I will be sorry to let it go. I need more storage than the hatchback allows for several sets of golf clubs. Everything else about the vehicle has been above average. One missing nicety is a hatch release from inside; I cannot understand why this has been overlooked.