2004 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
130,000K miles, and it's perfect!
By petarvn1 on 02/26/13 21:22 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was bought for my eldest brother when he started college. He got this car in '11 with 101K miles on it. Since then, another 30ishK miles have come and gone, and it's as fresh as ever. It does show it's age (fuel tank has hairline fracture in it, has needed a lot of engine parts replaced recently) but for a car driven like this one, it's not bad at all! The manual gets better MPG's than our 40K mile '06 auto elantra, and it looks just as good! Just one problem with this car, and that's the trunk. It's large, but not as larger as the hatch's. Overall, a great 1'st car (especially for $4995!) Only problem right now is a missing trim piece that fell off due to bad glue!

I was pleasantly shocked
By jacobe on 03/23/11 17:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car and I love it. It handles very well, the best out of all the ones I test drove. It has 102k miles on it, so I replaced the timing belt and some other items, but other then that it runs amazing. Has never left me stranded. The acceleration is very good, for the size of the motor. Also this car goes amazing in snow. When we had our blizzard where we got 6 in. I was going around 4wd drive trucks that were stuck in the snow. Overall it is a great little.

Great for the money.
By Diane's on 12/23/09 12:36 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What has been done to this car that is not a wear item: 1) Clutch interlock switch (so it starts). 2) Clutch Slave Cylinder (recently) Maintenance Items: 1) Timing Belt. 2) Front Brake Pads. 3) Tires. 4) Oil changes. 5) Antifreeze change. Super reliable.... I am in the rust belt, so I expect an exhaust pipe in the future.

Still going after 5 years
By KSierra on 11/23/09 15:27 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Elantra just a little over 5 years ago and it’s still going. I purchased the extended 100,000mi/10yr bumper to bumper warranty. I’ve had to have my air bag sensors (both driver and passenger)and Kenwood CD player replaced. I’ve also replaced my headlights a few times. Didn’t have to pay for any of it! I leave my headlights on ALL the time so burning them out is to be expected. Over all I’m am super happy with my Elantra. I drive between 20 and 30 miles every day on average and get great mileage. Maintenance is a little pricey (in for my 60k,today ouch!) but the dealership is reliable and friendly (same guys in the service department since I got my car!)

Great Little Car for Everybody
By nr1989 on 09/05/09 19:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car a few months ago from a lady who rarely drove it, only 9,000 miles in 5 years. Bought the car for my Grandmother, she likes the compact size because it is easier for her to drive and park. Have taken the car on small tips and 2000 mile trips, it is comfortable and will drive all day without a problem. Car has a lot of power, even my 20 something friends who have driven have commented on how quick it is. I never thought I would buy a foreign car, but this little Hyundai is great for everyone.

good little car
By robert on 08/17/09 19:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for 4 years and put 150000 miles on it I am on my 4th set of tires found out not all tires work on this car have had a brake caliper stick right front that wore that pad out quick it was fixed under warranty just drove to Indiana from texas and back 2000 round trip and on a couple tanks of gas got 41 miles per gallon I have enjoyed this car and would buy another for the price been very dependable never left me stranded on the road like some other cars have

Great City Car
By Millertime on 06/14/09 23:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the best city car- for the money - I have ever owned. I still get 28 MPG combined even with 69k on it. There is plenty of power to hold your own on the freeway, or get around that annoying person with his turn signal on for miles. Turn on the AC and it's a different story. The power flat lines, and the gas mileage heads to the basement. The interior is roomy - better than my wifes '08 Civic -but pretty plain (O CD player in GLS). And you cannot seem to ever find a balance between having the steering wheel at a comfortable hight, and still see all of the instrument cluster. The trunk is huge, and will hold several full sized suit cases. All in all it's a great car.

I love my car
By Maria on 03/14/09 14:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my car. I wasn't sure about buying a Hyundai although I knew it had been selected as car of the year. However, my mechanic recommended it and I am super glad I listened to him. It is a fun car to drive, I can park it anywhere and gives me great mileage.

Hyundai still makes bad cars
By tigertina on 12/18/08 12:45 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The steering column started squeaking at 160,000kms. Never had that problem ever before with any other car. This problem is not covered in the warranty, and have learned other drivers have faced this problem. The car is too light and need to put in bricks to stabilize it on the road else it drifts. Didn't matter how many times it was checked over, its like the centre of gravity is off on this car. The car has too many blind spots. This car has had more problems with it then my 1997 fort escort with 345,000kms on it.

Dependable Car!
By Trish on 06/05/08 10:55 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had one repair in 20 months of ownership! I have 75000 miles on this car and my only complaint is that It just won't break down and give me an excuse to buy a luxury car! LOL I get 26 miles per gallon even without cruise control.