Used 2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2004 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

130,000K miles, and it's perfect!
By petarvn1

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was bought for my eldest brother when he started college. He got this car in '11 with 101K miles on it. Since then, another 30ishK miles have come and gone, and it's as fresh as ever. It does show it's age (fuel tank has hairline fracture in it, has needed a lot of engine parts replaced recently) but for a car driven like this one, it's not bad at all! The manual gets better MPG's than our 40K mile '06 auto elantra, and it looks just as good! Just one problem with this car, and that's the trunk. It's large, but not as larger as the hatch's. Overall, a great 1'st car (especially for $4995!) Only problem right now is a missing trim piece that fell off due to bad glue!

The shifter is nice and light, sound system (has aftermarket subwoofer) is as good as ones in brand new cars, and it's very good in the snow.

After the 120K mark, watch out for the window trim, if you live in a wet, rainy place, it will fall off. Window mechanisms are also flimsy, we had 2 brake,one during a rainstorm, with the window down!

I was pleasantly shocked
By jacobe

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car and I love it. It handles very well, the best out of all the ones I test drove. It has 102k miles on it, so I replaced the timing belt and some other items, but other then that it runs amazing. Has never left me stranded. The acceleration is very good, for the size of the motor. Also this car goes amazing in snow. When we had our blizzard where we got 6 in. I was going around 4wd drive trucks that were stuck in the snow. Overall it is a great little.

The acceleration with the 5spd. manual. Easy to drive, and fun to drive. Reliability Standard safety equipment.

The paint scratches kinda easily because it is thin. More then two cup holders in the back.

Great for the money.
By Diane's

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What has been done to this car that is not a wear item: 1) Clutch interlock switch (so it starts). 2) Clutch Slave Cylinder (recently) Maintenance Items: 1) Timing Belt. 2) Front Brake Pads. 3) Tires. 4) Oil changes. 5) Antifreeze change. Super reliable.... I am in the rust belt, so I expect an exhaust pipe in the future.

Reliability.

Could come with a CD.

Still going after 5 years
By KSierra

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Elantra just a little over 5 years ago and it’s still going. I purchased the extended 100,000mi/10yr bumper to bumper warranty. I’ve had to have my air bag sensors (both driver and passenger)and Kenwood CD player replaced. I’ve also replaced my headlights a few times. Didn’t have to pay for any of it! I leave my headlights on ALL the time so burning them out is to be expected. Over all I’m am super happy with my Elantra. I drive between 20 and 30 miles every day on average and get great mileage. Maintenance is a little pricey (in for my 60k,today ouch!) but the dealership is reliable and friendly (same guys in the service department since I got my car!)

All the standard options make it a great value-especially the safety features. Love my color - Tidal Wave (Blue). Handles well. Fabulous warranty that is far outlasting my car payment! Fun to drive. Good amount of space for a "compact" car.

Paint is a little thin. And road noise can be a little loud sometimes. Keyless trunk entry would be great.

Great Little Car for Everybody
By nr1989

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car a few months ago from a lady who rarely drove it, only 9,000 miles in 5 years. Bought the car for my Grandmother, she likes the compact size because it is easier for her to drive and park. Have taken the car on small tips and 2000 mile trips, it is comfortable and will drive all day without a problem. Car has a lot of power, even my 20 something friends who have driven have commented on how quick it is. I never thought I would buy a foreign car, but this little Hyundai is great for everyone.

Power from a 4 Cylinder, Classy upholstery, smooth and quiet engine.

Separate seek/tune knobs, alloy wheels