2004 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Best car I ever owned
By ackr13 on 02/25/14 14:17 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Hyundai new in April 2004. I now have 123,000 miles on and could not be more pleased. Besides replacing tires and brakes( front rotors one time) the only repairs have been Timing belt, water pump, belts, tune-up with plugs & plug wires and front struts all done at 100,000 miles. Runs as good as new with very little rattle. I did replace the hatch lid struts 2 years ago.I average 24MPH in city driving, 32 on a trip. Love this car. I will run it till it dies. I traded my wife's 2006 Elantra GT in on a 2012 Santa Fe. Don't regret it a bit. Another great vehicle.

Great car!!
By pnpain on 06/09/13 09:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We've had our car since (I think) Spring of 2004. It is a great little car! Nearly everything about it is excellent! Pick-up and go is good except for when the AC is on and you are trying to get onto the freeway. The seats are a bit uncomfortable for long trips (2+ hours) though. Our CD player/faceplate is glitchy after all these years. If you press a button (even the off button) too hard it shorts out the faceplate and when you let go it turns back on. Sometimes it simply wont work unless you remove the face plate and put it back on. Our car only has just less than 98,000 miles on it.

130,000K miles, and it's perfect!
By petarvn1 on 02/26/13 21:22 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was bought for my eldest brother when he started college. He got this car in '11 with 101K miles on it. Since then, another 30ishK miles have come and gone, and it's as fresh as ever. It does show it's age (fuel tank has hairline fracture in it, has needed a lot of engine parts replaced recently) but for a car driven like this one, it's not bad at all! The manual gets better MPG's than our 40K mile '06 auto elantra, and it looks just as good! Just one problem with this car, and that's the trunk. It's large, but not as larger as the hatch's. Overall, a great 1'st car (especially for $4995!) Only problem right now is a missing trim piece that fell off due to bad glue!

Great First Car
By drivinglove4l on 11/17/12 22:56 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The 2004 hyundai elantra gt was my first car, I recently got in an accident on the freeway and my car was totaled. I only had the car for 6 weeks, but I loved it, it was comfortable to drive and got me where i needed to go. I have been looking for another car but have yet to find one that compares in my mind, i would definately recommend this car and i wish i could find another one.

Farewell, old friend
By avhelp on 08/02/12 21:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Someone once told me machines don't have a soul. I disagree. My Hyundai took me to work and happy places, safely and always got me home. We logged 131K miles together, and it just got to the point where it got tired. Life had been perfect except for a battery at 100K. Now, at 131K, We needed new struts,shocks, breaks, timing belt, water pump, CV joints, tires and headlight glass. With all that mileage, how much longer could we go on before something big broke? I took the repair money and bought it's cute cousin, the SOUL. I know the Kia and Hyundai family are as one, so I am looking forward to more far off trips to enjoy. Thank you, Blue Hyundai, for taking me to and from safely.

Such a good car
By missij12 on 03/04/12 16:25 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new back in college. 8 years and 100k miles later I'm finally about to give it up for something larger. The biggest repair I've ever had to do on this car is replace the battery. Other than that, every day this car has started right up and performed great. It's been all over the country and even got me through the mountains without a problem. I couldn't ask for better gas mileage out of a car with such good acceleration. I did install an aftermarket stereo a few years ago to support my Ipod but the factory stereo was fine besides that. It's going to be hard to say goodbye!

Hyundai Elantra
By drealee73 on 11/03/11 17:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was in an accident with my 2004 Hyundai Elantra and although it was totaled, there is nothing bad I can say about this car. The other guy ran a red light and I t-boned him at 60 mph. The airbag deployed and my seat belt did not break. This accident was three days ago and I'm just sore. No broken bones. I was at the emergency room for about 30 minutes and was told I was fine and could leave. My Hyundai Elantra saved my life and that is why I'm taking the time to write this review. I highly recommend this vehicle for its comfort, safety, size, and pretty much everything else about it.

2004 Hyundai Elantra
By tlc51 on 05/19/11 14:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my elantra 5 years ago second hand with almost 40k on the clock. In the time that i have been driving this vehicle it has performed very well. Trips to Queensland and other parts of N.S.W. and on quite a few occations towed a trailer or a caravan with this car with no faults at all but only recently replaced the starter moter. had all the servicing done accoding to the log book and had the timming belt relaced . and now in may of 2011 i have only done 125,000. ks I did have a bit of trouble with the remote to unlock and lock the car as the warrenty was comming to the end and was charged for the recharge of another remote . but inall it has been my best car yet .

Great except for gas economy for size
By jobber1 on 05/14/11 08:22 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought it new and now have 162 K on it. Nothing's been required beyond standard maintenance. I have never had any problems with it and it is fun and comfortable to drive (and I am 6'10"). I have owned a 1972 Fiat 124 sedan (auto), 1982 Toyota Tercel (stick), 2001 Honda Accord (auto), 1974 VW Rabbit (stick), diesel 1980 VW Dasher (stick), and a 4-cyl. 1989 Dodge Spirit (stick!). I would rank this Elantra up with any of them ... except for gas economy. The fuel economy is disappointing, but to fair, it does get what the sticker said it would (around 30 hwy). That was like worst of its class that year. (The 2011 Elantra is best! Oh well.) I love my Elantra.

I was pleasantly shocked
By jacobe on 03/23/11 17:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car and I love it. It handles very well, the best out of all the ones I test drove. It has 102k miles on it, so I replaced the timing belt and some other items, but other then that it runs amazing. Has never left me stranded. The acceleration is very good, for the size of the motor. Also this car goes amazing in snow. When we had our blizzard where we got 6 in. I was going around 4wd drive trucks that were stuck in the snow. Overall it is a great little.