Problem-free at 100k
By Ian on
2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
Purchased for $6900 with 35k miles on it. Good condition. Manual. Handled well, peppy for an economy car. I have only had the following problems: A leaking radiator hose Suspension squeaks and creaks I get regular oil changes, replaced the timing belt at 90k miles and had it tuned up, and have replaced the tires once. Very low maintenance costs overall. At this point, the performance is suffering a little (diminished torque at high rpms), but I've driven this car hard for about 70k miles now. Still extremely reliable, and I wouldn't think twice about driving it cross country. I had a '99 Elantra before, and my friend is still driving it in San Diego at over 160k miles.
Favorite Features
Reliability is the key #1 feature. Price is a close second. I like the design of the 2003 model. The interior finish is not stunning, but serviceable; I like the center console storage, rubberized storage platform, and sunglass holder.
Suggested Improvements
Engine noise is loud at highway speeds. Brake light bulbs tend to burn out fairly quickly, as do headlights. Door cupholders are useless. Cassette player is a little ridiculous, this is a 2003 model, not 1993; CD should be standard.