2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
You get what you pay for
By Matt on 12/08/07 00:45 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Not a bad car, but could use some work. The older it gets, the more cheap it feels. There are a lot of squeaks and rattles on the interior. Road noise is overwhelming, and makes it difficult to have a conversation. Simple parts are expensive and hard to find. Fuel economy is not as good as it should be for such slow acceleration. The paint is of poor quality, and easily scratches and chips. Leather interior feels and looks like vynil. Sun visor mirror covers broke without being touched, and driver's side visor will not adjust without making a horrible sound and feeling like it is going to break.

No problems at all
By jd50i on 12/01/07 02:44 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car new in 2003. 40,000 miles and no problems at all. Do all of the preventive maintenance, keep the car clean, including the undercarriage and under the hood, and you will have a reliable car.

Best car I have ever owned
By Finetooner on 10/04/07 12:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Thus far, it does practically everything better than any similar car I have owned. It is loaded with amenities, has a huge backseat, is peppy, handles very well, and has been dead-reliable. It is an ideal commute car...very nimble, meneuverable, and squeezes into places other cars can't. Yet, it cruises the interstate with ease and is very steady and predictable. Drawbacks? Very few but here are a couple: It eats high and low beam lights. The CD player is inop and AM reception is poor. Wow, that's about it. A great little car and a great value.

Could have been so much better!
By Disappointed in PA on 08/01/07 08:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Let me start by saying that we liked our car(bought it new). It was a good deal, but gave us too much trouble-we just traded it in on an '07 Mazda3. It is a MUCH better vehicle for a few thousand more. Also-Hyundais don't retain their value well. A week after taking delivery a hose clamp fell off-car lost all its antifreeze. It was towed & fixed however that was merely the tip of the iceberg: -Driver seatbelt fell off into wife's lap! -Various trim fell off in 5 different places -Ongoing transmission problems -Climate control broke -Emergency brake "broke" & ruined the rear rotors -radio, clock, visor clip all broke All this is not acceptable in just 4 years and 39,500 miles!

Cheap to buy, cheap to feed!
By Bill on 04/05/07 13:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We wnated something affordable for my commute downtown - this car has been great. Cheap to buy, cheap to feed (gas), cheap to keep. Not luxury, but a good, comfortable, servicable car, that handles very well (suggest buying good tires)in traffic and on open road. Great room in back seat and trunk. Have had a few problems after 60K, but nothing serious. Negotiated extended warranty as part of deal (bought a demo) and it proved useful when radiator went. Had problem with tie rods, but dealer handled. Would like to stop hearing "that's just what happens with these cars" from dealer, however - that's the one thing that will make me compare elsewhere for the next car.

Amazing Buy!!!
By Jason on 03/01/07 09:19 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2003 elantra when it was about 2 years old and had abour 80,000 miles on it. Now, I've had it for 2 years and am so in love with it. I have put on almost 60,000 miles in 2 years. I've changed oil, brakes and headlights.... that's it! I think that is great since it is just shy of 140,000 miles. I have two jobs one requires occasional highway miles to be put on the car and the other is delivering pizzas. Yes 60,000 miles with about 2/3 of those as pizza delivery miles. Simply amazing! I was about to make an offer on a 1994 Honda Accord with over 100,000 miles when this fell in my lap for less than $1,000 more than what I was going to offer. My MPG averages City 24 /HWY 32

Clutch-death, Best Warrantly?
By Bob on 02/26/07 09:10 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

There is a reason Hyundai does not cover the clutch...it goes out, soon and they know it. Ours went out at 60k and the dealer said it is not covered since a clutch is a 'wearable' part. I said, 'a defective and very expensive part which is not covered under "America's Best Warranty?" If you don't have a problem with a $900 bill to fix your clutch, buy a Hyundai. Else read the fine print on the warranty. Because of this, we will not buy another Hyundai.

First New Car
By Gary on 01/01/07 20:13 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Elantra new and for a great price. It has been a great reliable car for my family. I have had only a few minor problems. The CD player went out a few months after buying but was replaced under warranty. Also, I have a few blown head lights. I have taken our car on a few long trips and hand no problems and great fuel mileage. As long as you keep the oil changed, you should have little to no problems with this car.

130,000 miles in my Elantra
By Brad on 12/09/06 17:56 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 Elantra GT sedan in March of '03 with 34 miles. I now have 130,000. I chose this vehicle beacuse it had more power, features, rear seat space, and value than anything else in its class. The GT really is an undiscovered gem. I have the 4-door with the 5-speed, which is the best combo. The acceleration, luxury features, sound system, comfort, and dependability are unmatched in the sub- $17,000 class. I have only had one promblem, a faulty thermostat that caused it to overheat at 79,000 miles. Probably my fault because I drive it really hard and don't keep up on the maintainance. That being said, this car is a tank. 130,000 miles, all original parts and still going strong.

My Driving Experience with my 03 Hyundai
By Hyundai Elantra on 10/11/06 09:24 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am enjoying my Elantra and I intend to purchase another Hyundai when I buy my next car. The reliability is excellent and the gas that I save has been very good considering how much gas has been.