Used 2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Poor Quaility Paint Jobs
By tim

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I own 2 hyundias the elantra has paint peeling of from bugs and such(the rep calls it fallout)They do not cover this my 2004 santa fe has this problem also and they would only pay for 1/2 of the cost it was bought new and only has 20,000 miles on it my 95 and 97 model car paint jobs are fine. Poor paint quality paint and clearcoat very thin. Look over the car closely and don't drive on gravel. Also make sure you go buy the rules of there warranty at 30,000 miles transmission drain and radiator flush. If you don,t they mostlikely won't cover it if you have problems.

the room and 30mpg

Very much the quality of the paint and clear coat. Scratches easy way to thin

Can't Beat it for the Money
By CD

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was transferred to an area where I now have a 120 round trip commute to work. This car performs flawlessly and is comfortable even for the long drive. This car is fun to drive and has plenty of power for a 4 cylinder. The transmission could be improved, but it does the job. At cruising speed the Elantra is suprisingly quite and smooth. The sound system could use an upgrade, but it performs ok. I drive this car pretty hard, and I have not had any problems with the engine or transmission. The radio was replaced due to a short, but that is the only problem I have had. Reviews in some magazines say this vehicle gets poor gas mileage, but I have been averaging around 32 miles per gallon

Bang for the buck. I challenge you to find a vehicle it its class with 4 wheel abs, traction control, 4 airbags, pwr windows, locks, and sunroof, and leather seats for the price. The hatchback has more than enough storage room and with the seats folded the storage capacity is suprising.

Better fit and finish in the cabin, more powerful engine (would be nice, but not necessary), better matched transmission, better sound system, and power seats. Suggested improvements, but the vehicle is fine as is.

A wonderful car
By twowheels

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's been a wonderful car. Drives well, comfortable, good mileage, and a GREAT bargain! I'd replace it with another if the need arose.

Leather, HUGE cargo space for such a small car!

A few slight annoyances, manual transmission a bit notchy, clutch too vague, wish that the power window lockout didn't lock out the driver controls.

You get what you pay for.... beware
By Buyer beware

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car looking for a reliable vehicle with a good warranty and a useful design. I thought that with a 5yr/60000 & 10yr/100000 warranty that Hyundai was confident in their product. I was wrong. At 61000 miles the radiator blew at 70mph - resulting in an engine overheat and SEVERE engine damage (needs a new engine) Hyundai will not honor the powertrain warranty if damage is caused by an unwarranted part (the 1000 mile over warranty radiator). Its in the fine print on most powertrain warranties. Hyundai has accepted no responsibility or offered any apologies for their cheap Korean part (radiator). You get what you pay for - sell it before it goes off warranty!!

NONE

STOP USING CHEAP RADIATORS!!!!

Consumer's Choice
By Baltimore Jeff

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I did loads of research before buying this car as a cheap, reliable commuter. Looked at Civic, Corolla and other imports. For the money, I could buy new with a better warranty and more features with the Elantra than I could ever get with any of the others. GT 5spd hatchback with all the options. With the backseat down I can fit in a loveseat with the hatchclosed. I used this car as an installer for interior window treatments. I once got 32 boxed 2" wood blinds into the back with the hatch down. Could not believe it! I am 6'3" 255lbs and I have no problem getting in and out, or with an adult sitting behind me when I drive. The size of this car is deceptive. So far, very happy!

Amenities! Leather seats, traction control, ABS, 4-wheel disk brakes, intermittent wipers, fog lights, A/C, Power windows/locks/mirrors, LATCH for car seats, easy fold-down rear seats, great visibility, great gas mileage (30 mpg over 2 years!)

Would love another 20+ hp! A/c tends to bog down engine a bit. Interior and trunk lighting is pitiful! Dealer service has been terrible (but that isn't really the car's fault). Windows tend to fog up without defrost on when raining. Not sure leather seats are going to last thru warranty.