Used 2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Most Helpful|
ok for the money
By jeff

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Daily driver, the first year the car seemed pretty solid. After that you started hearing more noise. Too much maintance for such a small car. If you don't follow the schedule it will void the so called 100,000 mile warranty!

Favorite Features

stereo, moon roof

Suggested Improvements

A lot less maintainence

Great car for the money
By Radley

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in late '02; now have 92K miles. Had only a few minor problems, all covered under extended warranty: E-brake cable, rear wheel bearing, hatch latch. Orig. tires went 40K miles, brakes a bit more. Needs a new clutch, but 90k mile seems about right. Paint is sensitive to dings and scratches, but the body has held up fairly well. I've lost a few radio control knobs, and the speakers are beginning to give a little static, but the interior has held up nicely. Service at dealers has been mixed, sometimes too expensive and other times they don't do things listed in manual (like radiator flush at 60,000). Resale value isn't great, so I will keep this car until it falls apart.

Favorite Features

Leather interior, Sunroof, 6-speaker stereo, Trip/mpg computer, hatchback design, Saab 900-like shape, Hyundai warranty

Suggested Improvements

Better paint quality, better low-end torque.

Owned 4.5 years
By pencemen

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my blue 2003 Elantra GT hatchback with 65,000 miles, and it now has 135,000 miles. The leather seats and sunroof give you amenities not seen in cheaper vehicles like this one. Hyundai parts are easy to find, and repairs are cheap. I bought this car just before I went to college to use while in school. I replaced the audio unit with an updated one, so I could play pandora and hook in my maps. It comfortably seats 4, but fits 5 people. The size of the trunk is nice and not typically seen in hatchbacks. I've replaced a section of the exhaust pipe for $200, valve cover gasket $25, brake caliper assembly $110. I can foresee that I will have to replace the timing belt and struts soon.

Favorite Features

- Leather seats - Sunroof - 4-wheel disc brakes - Ride comfort - cheap repair costs

Suggested Improvements

- Larger wheel size (17") - Updated Audio unit with aux in - Hood Bra (black)

disheartened
By disappointed

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car was taken back to the dealership within 24 hours for problems. Currently on 4th set of tires within 3 years. Emergency brake locks in cold weather and wears down tires (been towed several times). Maker doesn't take blame, rather passes the buck. Solutions are not guaranteed that problems are fixed, yet my wallet takes the brunt. Dealerships report that my problem is not a warranty issue. Frustrated!

Favorite Features

blue-ish lite on the dash

Suggested Improvements

customer support. don't let them hanging or feeling patronized. i cannot recommend hyundai to a single person at this point.

good car, service too expensive.
By Beth

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just took my car in for its 60,000 servicing-- $880!! I was not shocked by the $400 servicing at 30,000, but this one threw me for a loop! I wasn't prepared for that big a number. (I guess the warranty is not COMPLETELY free, since these two services are REQUIRED in order to keep your car under warranty.) I have had to replace a few bulbs too, and they are a little tricky to do yourself. One bigger issue: When I accelerate hard to get up to speed (like on an on-ramp) the car downshifts ROUGH-- it sounds like the transmission is about to fall out of the bottom of the car. I don't like that much, and the dealership doesn't seem to think it is a big deal, but it makes me nervous.

Favorite Features

leather seats, sunroof, the hatchback will fit just about anything you can imagine and some things you would never imagine! Seats fold down really easy, looks good, great price for all the car has to offer.

Suggested Improvements

longer lasting bulbs, smoother transmission, more reasonable cost for servicing!! Cupholders in the middle are too close together and it is hard to put two cups in at once. The cupholders in the doors are useless-- too awkward and small for anything to fit into.