Used 2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Brakes and Tires
By Kadaro

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have 2 of the 2003s for my kids. Both are great and have one major flaw. You can't get the tires off if you get a flat. The steel rims rust to the hubs and needs a large rubber mallet to remove! This happened multiple times on both cars. Also, replacing front brake rotors....I couldn't remove them, and both cars the shop had to use a sledge hammer and bust the rotors off. They seize to the inner hub with rust.

Favorite Features

Safe reliable/value car for my college kids.

Suggested Improvements

ABS not on this model.

great ride
By irlaxhicksy

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i average about 30,000 miles a year and i have not had any problems with this car other then a thermostat at 75000 miles and oxygen sensor at 70000 miles, i live in the north east where we average five to six feet of snow a year and i never have had a problem in the snow till start driving in about a foot of it, and that's with two rear tires that wont pass inspection now

Favorite Features

powerful engine for a 4 cyl, plenty of trunk space, in the door storage, heated mirrors

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage, this car is worst 4 cyl i have owned on gas but i still average 28 city and highway mix in summer and around 25 in the winter

2003 elentra
By chebba

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Car was purchased new. It can handle quite a lot: I had several huge people in my elentra when I struck the mother of all potholes traveling at a high rate of speed on the God forsaken streets of Brooklyn NY, I really thought at the very least there should have been casualties but to my amazement the car was not affected in any way. Another time my father had a huge accident drunk driving accident, it cost so many thousands to piece the car together everyone suggested the car should be scrapped yet the insurance carrier insisted it be repaired. To my amazement the car still rides well after massive cross- your finger type of repairs.

Favorite Features

a lot of them-------------

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy, I have had several 4 cylinder cars in my lifetime and this one just uses the most gas. Stock radio department should be brought up on charges for abusing their membership cards to the human race by allowing such a terrible radio to be installed in these cars.

Nice Car, Bad MPG
By Chen

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A very good car. I got it as a used one with 35,000 miles. It's comfort but very, very poor mpg in city. ~ 200-250 miles/tank (14.5 gallon). Omg, where is the gas going? but good mpg in highway, ~ 30 mpg.

Favorite Features

fun drive

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy

VERY DISAPPOINTED
By Mrs Barrett

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 06 with only 15k miles on it so it was like brand new. I bought it because of the reputation of reliability, quality and gas mileage. But right at 50,000 miles in the middle of a road trip, my radiator suddenly cracked without warning and all of my coolant leaked out on the spot and my engine overheated. It all happened within 60 seconds at a stop light. I ended up stranded for 4 full days. Finally the dealership discovered the cracked radiator. No one can explain why that happened. I have kept impeccable care of the car. In fact I checked my coolant levels etc before I left on the trip. All was fine. It cost me over $1000 and now I am nervous to go on a trip!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Sun roof. Cruise control. Cup holders

Suggested Improvements

I really take good care of my car but so much inside is broken. The mirrors on the visor, the ash tray, the net pockets on the backs of the seats, the trunk release etc.