2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Kinda..Ehh
By Sketchy on 08/11/08 14:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car second hand with low miles for a occasional trip and back and forth to work car. In town MPG sucks for this car. With A/C on car has little power so always finding myself putting it to the floor to keep up. Does ok with a/c off. Very comfy seats and layout isn't bad. Highway MPG is ok but still under 30 avg 65 mph. Gremlins start to show up after 50k miles but knock on wood, still hasn't left me stranded. Transmission likes to slip when real light pedal pressure is applied. Rattling/ticking noise started around engine sometime ago. Figured it was cheap gas but ran 93 octane still no help. Looking at new cars now. Hyundai? Ehh...I dunno. Warranty only 50k after 1st owner.

Pay now or Pay later
By Cheap? on 07/07/08 06:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the Elantra VE because it handled well on a test drive and we seemed to be getting more for our money, however over the past five years we have spent $8000 in maintenance and repairs. The key fobs wore out in less than two years rendering the alarm system useless. Every problem has been solved on the second visit, not on the first - so we have paid twice to have each problem fixed. The brakes always squeal, the rubber door seals eroded away in less than a year and the fuel system has been cleaned twice. We may have paid less for the Elantra than other 4-Door sedans, but we spent it on repairs over the past 5 years. Our advice - buy North American and pay the extra 5- 8 K up front.

Best Car Ever
By Gemg on 07/04/08 19:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new out the door for 14K, pretty good. I've only done routine maintenance, the car has never had a single problem. Most trouble free car I've ever had. An unassuming simple car but a little nicer than "basic transport". Always gets 30+mpg. Even got 38mpg between Reno and Sacramento (all downhill LOL!) Commuted in Colorado going 40 miles each way from 5000ft to 8500ft elevation each time. Sub zero weather and never garaged. Someone ran a red light and hit the side from drivers door forward at 60mph - totaled it. My daughter who was driving and my son the passenger walked away with only bruises and sore muscles. Now looking for another Elantra to replace it.

Excellent value
By daveg on 05/28/08 06:57 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car from the original owner at 54K miles for $6K. Had one power train problem repair and otherwise routine maintenance. It has been doing very well so far. General fit and finish is good, though the exterior color on the posts between front and back windows is beginning to peel a bit. Mileage is reasonable, performance is acceptable, it is roomy and reasonably comfortable. I replaced the factory stereo and have been happy ever since.

Awesome!
By wei on 05/17/08 22:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I brought this used car as my first car in US. It drives very great even it have 83000 miles on it. Never have any problem.

Terrible Car
By E.Martinez on 05/03/08 07:41 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 50k miles in 2005. It's been a problem after another. I had to replace the engine at 80k miles and now at 98k it has the transmission issues. The Motor Mounts were also replaced. Yes, it's a cheap car. However, the maintenance becomes very expensive. I change the oil every 3k and do excellent maint. on it. Nevertheless, it's still a problem. Would never buy a Hyundai and/or Kia in my life again. Pay a little more upfront and save a lot later when purchasing a Toyota, Honda or Nissan. Most of Kia and Hyundai engines are joint venture with Mitsubishi and they are not very reliable engines.

Sweet car for price
By Ryan on 04/29/08 12:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I don't have one negative thing to say about this car. I haven't had one issue whatsoever! Very pleased with this car, and will be sticking to the brand in the future.

Gave it a chance. Fed up.
By ifaub on 04/24/08 15:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I purchased this car used in December 2006. One main reason was for its reported gas mileage. Another was for its "value". This car has been one problem after another. Multiple issues with the brakes (took them 4 times back in the shop to finally fix the problem). The paint downright fading/falling off on the door handles. MPG is around 19/21 even after the ridiculously expensive 60k mile service ($1200) and bringing it back again for diagnostics to see if something was wrong to cause poor fuel economy. Nothing found, but tried to up sell the injector cleaning service. Now, the vehicle feels like the trans is having some problems. Done with it. Trading it in this weekend.

Been solid as a rock
By Doug on 03/21/08 14:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The dealer had quite a number of 03's left as the '04's were coming out, so I felt the "deal" was good. Looking at all the cars in this price range, Edmunds comment was it was a "good commuter car". I drive a hundred miles round trip to work and back, they were 100% correct. It still averages almost 30mpg. I've been very pleased. Never been back to the dealership. Change the oil ever 3-4 thousand miles. Original tires tires lasted about 45k. With 68,000 miles on it (I drive a Mustang convert most of the summer), I'm looking for a new one.

Fun and Low Maintenance
By Loopy on 01/11/08 18:33 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Looking for a fun commuter I was all set to buy a Civic until I found that it didn't offer leather or traction control or a $14K price tag. Fuel pump went 1st mo which was replaced by dealer same day. Oil change every 3K, replaced brakes once at 60K and now have 120K on orig clutch. 30-32mpg combined city/hwy. Upgrades include Tiburon rear anti sway bar and 17" wheels which make it very fun in the twisties. Don't try this at home but is very stable at 105mph. Recently have also replaced headlights every 6mo and found my first rust spot behind rear wheel. Excellent in the snow with winter tires. I, too, barely get NYC AM stations from 60 mi away. Very happy with this ride.