2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
What a great car!
By jrseattle on 06/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car based on the attractive price and the many positive consumer reviews and I have not been disappointed. The car drives like a dream, has not given me any trouble and is a joy, to look at, to sit in. The hatchback feature with flat rear seats is very practical and the leather seats still smell good. Initial acceleration is great but midrange performance definitely could be improved but hey, it's not a Porsche (I used to drive one). Fuel economy around town is no better than 24 mpg but jumps to 35 going 75 on the freeway (I love the little computer showing this). The doors don't quite close a easily as I'd like when the weather is warm.

My Elantra GT Hatchback (5M)
By VB on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love this car! Just turned One Year. Have 8300 miles on it. No major problems at all. The plastic bolts on the wing in the back broke, the dealer fixed them. Very comfortable and decent mileage, when driven carefully.

Beware of Hyundai
By Tom Larson on 05/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I would STRONGLY advise against purchasing a Hyundai. I purchased a new 2003 Elantra hatchback last July, and 18,000 miles later, the clutch failed. I was just informed by the dealership the clutch is NOT covered by the warranty, and I'll have to shell out $900 to get it fixed. I've been driving other various manual transmission cars for 20 years with no problems. The Hyundai is a poorly made vehicle, and the much vaunted warranty is total sham, if not fraudulent. Again, I would stay away from Hyundai!

Great deal for the money.
By Wirro on 04/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Compared Nissan Sentra, Ford Focus and Honda Civic and just couldn't get anywhere near as much car for the money. Zero defects so far but then I'm not a heavy user, only about 6K a year. But hey! The bumper-to-bumper warranty will still be in effect when it's paid for!

Great Car for the Money
By tjjazz on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After testing lots of other vehicles in this class, Elantra offered more bells and whistles than any others. I use it as commuter car and get reasonable mileage, very comfortable ride. Can easily fit tall folks comfortably in front and rear seats. Has lots of storage. Nothing better on the market for the money! I am so glad I went with this one.

Great Buy
By Gary A on 01/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

No problems whatsoever thus far (besides the recall). A great car for a great price. Reliable, fuel efficient, and stylish. Hope it has longevity too!

SSS service still stinks
By vin kehayas on 01/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i was totally taken when i bought this car. great buying experience, until da - da-da-da i brought it to service. repairs i needed were minor but boy did they show their ignorance and lack of concern and plain stupidity.couldf not do a wheel balance correctly. tech could not find the problem i had even thou the part was on order from first visitand laying in parts dept, discover the differance, i did not.

Everything nobody else has
By darinordino on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I know I'm not saying anything new here, but with it's mix of features and price this car is totally unbeatable. It's the only car in it's class with leather interior and side air-bags! The styling is outstanding and these are still rare enough that you won't see yourself driving down the road every day. The perfomance from the 135hp motor is outstanding and it is truly fun to drive. I've owned a 2000 Civic Si and I have to say that I enjoy this car more than that one. Plus, there's no better feeling than knowing I got so much more for so much less - I paid invoice for the car at just over 14K. What a steal!!

My '03 Elantra GT
By Ronzo on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am on my second '03 Elantra Gt this year. The first, which I purchased in Feb. was totaled in a rear end collision. It was stopped waiting to make a left turn and was stuck by a Honda traveling about 40 MPH. My girlfriend, who was driving it at the time, walked away without a scratch. I liked the car enough to buy another one.

I'm Impressed
By paposdad on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I wanted another hatchback. To my surprise there are few true hatchbacks to choose from on the market. I read reviews on the Hyundai GT hatchback, and they were all positive. Then Hyundai did something that really got my attention; the $1500 cash incentive. The GT hatchback is already well equiped. All I wanted was a pewter color, auto trans and mud guards. Using Edmunds.com I formulated a price to offer the dealer if I liked the test drive. I took the test drive and the car sold itself. I am very satisfied with the car and with the service from the dealer. This car gives you the most bang for your buck and the warranty is icing on the cake.