Used 2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Best Purchase of my Life
By sp0502

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car when I got my first job out of college. Being a hotshot, I wanted to buy a car that I couldn't afford. Came to my better senses and purchased this car. Thank God I did! With the leather, interior space, exterior design, air bags, moonroof, etc... I was given every luxury I wanted (w/ the exception of a Navigation option and ironically, no cassette). The gas mileage is decent too. The only problems I had were replacing the lights (head, tail, and fog CONSTANTLY... must've replaced 8x between them all and it hasn't been 4 years). Rear spoiler was coming off but warranty covered it. Service department is terrible but that's not the car's fault.

Pseudo-luxury look. Audio system gives a decent bass sound.

Do something about the wiring/bulbs of the lights.

Almost Perfect
By Spidy

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have mostly good things to say about this vehical Very reliable,Well equiped a bargin for the price!!

All options are standard!! Handles well.

1)The spoiler has lost both bolts that secure it to the trunk not a big deal only a few cents to replace. 2)I would say that every bulb in that car was replaced. 3)There is very poor to no lighting in the back seat area. 4)If you want to listen to AM radio forget about it!! No reception at all!!

Great Car for the price
By E SPATS

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 3 years now and have had no major problems. I took it to the dealer where I purchased the car before it hit the 100,000 mile mark and told them to service whatever had to be fixed, such as a tune up (which I had never had done from the original purchase) they told me "Everything looks fine ,you don't need a tune up yet" The only service's that have been done are, Radiator flush, O2 senser,Timing belt, Trans oil, Tires, Oil changes. With the exception of MANY bulbs be it, foglight,high beam ,low beam, break light !!Otherwise Truly a great car!!!

You cant beat the standard features in this vehicle almost all options are included.

The only improvement that I can suggest would be, longer lasting bulbs for all the lights (headlights taillights etc.) I have a Honda Civic for 12 years now and have only had to replace one headlight.

Dependable
By CaseyJPS

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car 2.5 years and it has been as reliable as my Miata. Warranty work has included a new battery, driver's side visor clip, and mirror covers on visors (I live in the desert and the car sits outside in very hot weather, so the interior plastics are very challenged on this car.) Replaced original tires around 20,000 miles. Gas mileage averages 22-23, and has topped-out at 33mpg (at a constant 75- 85 mph). I am convinced this car will last forever. The build quality, fit and finish is excellent (the "trunk" area could use a bit more attention however).

Interior cargo space; leather seats; very nimble handling (this is no VW). Great acceleration once beyond second gear. Lots of power for the freeway and very competent at higher speeds.

Higher grade of plastic trim for the interior. Fatter sway bars for the suspension. More lower-end torque (slow off the line). More sound insulation. More "trunk" lighting. Lighted overhead buttons for sunroof, and interior ceiling lights.

Great car for the money
By gmcgregg

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle has been the most reliable and fun to drive for the money. It have had only one problem with the vehicle and it was covered under their exceptional warrenty. This vehicle has be the least problematic vehicle I have owned especially when compared to the GM, Ford & Dodges I purchased in the recent past.

The fact that it comes with so many standard features and the minimal cost to add equipment.

None really, great the way it is.