Used 2003 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Reliable and Affordable
By Reliable! on 10/03/08 11:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2003. It is the base model GLS. It is not fancy, it's only a 4.0 cylinder, but it is very reliable. It now has 105,000 miles and has not needed any major repairs and still running great! I'm looking to get a new vehicle and after the experience with this one, I'm thinking it will be another Hyundai. My husband bought a 2001 Ford Taurus in 2003, when I got my Hyundai and has had all types of problems with it.

Problem-free at 100k
By Ian on 10/01/08 10:54 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased for $6900 with 35k miles on it. Good condition. Manual. Handled well, peppy for an economy car. I have only had the following problems: A leaking radiator hose Suspension squeaks and creaks I get regular oil changes, replaced the timing belt at 90k miles and had it tuned up, and have replaced the tires once. Very low maintenance costs overall. At this point, the performance is suffering a little (diminished torque at high rpms), but I've driven this car hard for about 70k miles now. Still extremely reliable, and I wouldn't think twice about driving it cross country. I had a '99 Elantra before, and my friend is still driving it in San Diego at over 160k miles.

Great car for my daughter
By Ed Lee on 09/24/08 15:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased car for my daughter with 61,000 miles. Car now has 138,00 miles and going strong. Car is dependable beyond expectations. Only routine maintenance has been done on car. Car is comfortable to drive with good acceleration for a 4 cylinder. Good gas mileage.

Few repairs after five years
By deliah on 08/31/08 06:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Originally, it cost $14,000...it now has over 87,000 miles, with only minor repairs. Original battery lasted me to the 80,000 mile point. The windshield got a crack from a thrown up rock on the highway at about the 60,000 mile point. Now, at my last inspection, the brakes barely passed, and I'll need to have them worked on soon, but not bad for this age and mileage. I would buy another of this model.

Kinda..Ehh
By Sketchy on 08/11/08 14:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car second hand with low miles for a occasional trip and back and forth to work car. In town MPG sucks for this car. With A/C on car has little power so always finding myself putting it to the floor to keep up. Does ok with a/c off. Very comfy seats and layout isn't bad. Highway MPG is ok but still under 30 avg 65 mph. Gremlins start to show up after 50k miles but knock on wood, still hasn't left me stranded. Transmission likes to slip when real light pedal pressure is applied. Rattling/ticking noise started around engine sometime ago. Figured it was cheap gas but ran 93 octane still no help. Looking at new cars now. Hyundai? Ehh...I dunno. Warranty only 50k after 1st owner.

sofarsogood
By gael's guy on 08/11/08 13:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Now nearing 5.5years ownership, and 75,000 miles. A/c compressor went at 73,000 I live in Florida and a/c gets used a great deal. Got rear-ended by an 18 Wheeler truck, took quite a shot and the car survived. 5,000+ in repair. Have had 3 left headlight bulbs and 1 set of fog lights go. 1 thermostat. Get 31-34 mph highway 23- 27 in town. I never use Hyundai for the 30-60,000 servicing. Had the a/c repaired locally. On 3rd set of tires.

Hyundai proven to have been a good buy
By Happy Owner on 07/20/08 17:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Elantra Gt gave me what I wanted. Looks, utility ( thats why I chose the GT hatchback) dependability and price. In 76000+ miles the only things that have gone wrong are 3 low beam headlights bulbs, 1 battery, the thermostat and just recently the A/C compressor. The brake pads show little wear at this time. I was rear-ended by an 18 wheeler and took such a hit that the motor mounts broke. After the repair you would never know that the car was ever hit. Still rides and handles great. Excellent brakes; headlights are strong. All in all it has been a very good car in every respect. I will probably replace it with another Hyundai one day, if it ever wears out.

Pay now or Pay later
By Cheap? on 07/07/08 06:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the Elantra VE because it handled well on a test drive and we seemed to be getting more for our money, however over the past five years we have spent $8000 in maintenance and repairs. The key fobs wore out in less than two years rendering the alarm system useless. Every problem has been solved on the second visit, not on the first - so we have paid twice to have each problem fixed. The brakes always squeal, the rubber door seals eroded away in less than a year and the fuel system has been cleaned twice. We may have paid less for the Elantra than other 4-Door sedans, but we spent it on repairs over the past 5 years. Our advice - buy North American and pay the extra 5- 8 K up front.

Best Car Ever
By Gemg on 07/04/08 19:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new out the door for 14K, pretty good. I've only done routine maintenance, the car has never had a single problem. Most trouble free car I've ever had. An unassuming simple car but a little nicer than "basic transport". Always gets 30+mpg. Even got 38mpg between Reno and Sacramento (all downhill LOL!) Commuted in Colorado going 40 miles each way from 5000ft to 8500ft elevation each time. Sub zero weather and never garaged. Someone ran a red light and hit the side from drivers door forward at 60mph - totaled it. My daughter who was driving and my son the passenger walked away with only bruises and sore muscles. Now looking for another Elantra to replace it.

ok for the money
By jeff on 06/17/08 14:22 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Daily driver, the first year the car seemed pretty solid. After that you started hearing more noise. Too much maintance for such a small car. If you don't follow the schedule it will void the so called 100,000 mile warranty!