Used 2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Love It
By Ryan

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new in '03 and now has 117,000 on it and still runs and drives great. Have had zero problems other than the typical eating of tires and the head and tail light headaches. Has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. Also, hit a deer at 55 mph and the front end held up incredibly well, just replaced the grill and hood after about a month and looks and runs great still.

O.k. gas mileage and great reliability.

Really a tape deck. Better way to install head and tail lights.

Don't Recommend
By Me

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Within 4 years I have replaced the transmission, alternator, battery, brakes, replaced all 4 tires, and have gone through about 8 headlights. This is a nice cheap car, but you pay for what you get. I do not consider this car reliable, one thing breaks after the other. Gas is terrible and paint scratches easily.

CD player, Sunroof

Ultra-Reliable, Great Purchase
By balconyinthesun

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in 2007, so it was 4 years old with about 70K kilometers on it. So far, there has been NO major work needed. This car starts immediately in -40 degree Celsius weather, a better track record than our 2005 Volks Jetta which needs to be boosted at least twice each winter. This car is pushed really hard with many road trips carrying full loads. Fuel economy is better than our other car, so we take this one on long road trips. There is no a/c, no power anything, but that means that any repair costs are much lower. We're having issues with the wiper motors right now, but we live spitting distance from freight trains, so there may be tons of dirt. Overall, I LOVE this car.

Favorite features? Everything! I would wish air conditioning and a tape deck on this car, but not much else. Easy clutch for the novice driver, spirited enough to get you out of the way if need be and more dependable than all of my other vehicles combined. I'd be happy to purchase another Hyundai.

It was my choice to buy this car with no frills, so I can't really think of anything they should have added to the base model of this car. If I had the choice now, I'd go for a sun roof, a/c and power everything, but that's because I've been spoiled with the Volks!

80%
By MissMissouri

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I seem to have had the same experience as Mrs Barrett. Bought @ 25,000, currently @ 85,000. I run synthetic oil, keep up all maintenance religiously, and overall take care of my car. About 1000 miles ago (2 month.), I was driving home from work and my radiator reservoir tank blew a leak. It scared me. I was on cruise control late at night and suddenly I hear a loud POP and I see steam escaping out of the back of the car. The next day, and $500 later, I have a whole new radiator (reservoir tank alone cannot be replaced w/o changing the radiator!).

It's small, it's neat, and VERY fuel efficient.

I wish the tranny could shift quicker-- no acceleration possible. 0-60 in 3 minutes :p. On the whole, VERY reliable car! No other major problems

Not pretty but very fuel efficient!
By Steven

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a little over 2 years now. It has 98000 miles on it and have never had a single problem with the car. The gas mileage is excellent! I always average 31 mpg! I would recommend this car for anyone who doesn't want to spend a bunch of money with upkeep and gas!

Gas mileage Reliability

Nothing. You can't expect too much luxury with a car that cost me $4500.