2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Can't Beat it for the Money
By CD on 08/03/05 17:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was transferred to an area where I now have a 120 round trip commute to work. This car performs flawlessly and is comfortable even for the long drive. This car is fun to drive and has plenty of power for a 4 cylinder. The transmission could be improved, but it does the job. At cruising speed the Elantra is suprisingly quite and smooth. The sound system could use an upgrade, but it performs ok. I drive this car pretty hard, and I have not had any problems with the engine or transmission. The radio was replaced due to a short, but that is the only problem I have had. Reviews in some magazines say this vehicle gets poor gas mileage, but I have been averaging around 32 miles per gallon

A wonderful car
By twowheels on 05/29/05 22:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's been a wonderful car. Drives well, comfortable, good mileage, and a GREAT bargain! I'd replace it with another if the need arose.

You get what you pay for.... beware
By Buyer beware on 04/14/05 20:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car looking for a reliable vehicle with a good warranty and a useful design. I thought that with a 5yr/60000 & 10yr/100000 warranty that Hyundai was confident in their product. I was wrong. At 61000 miles the radiator blew at 70mph - resulting in an engine overheat and SEVERE engine damage (needs a new engine) Hyundai will not honor the powertrain warranty if damage is caused by an unwarranted part (the 1000 mile over warranty radiator). Its in the fine print on most powertrain warranties. Hyundai has accepted no responsibility or offered any apologies for their cheap Korean part (radiator). You get what you pay for - sell it before it goes off warranty!!

Consumer's Choice
By Baltimore Jeff on 04/08/05 14:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I did loads of research before buying this car as a cheap, reliable commuter. Looked at Civic, Corolla and other imports. For the money, I could buy new with a better warranty and more features with the Elantra than I could ever get with any of the others. GT 5spd hatchback with all the options. With the backseat down I can fit in a loveseat with the hatchclosed. I used this car as an installer for interior window treatments. I once got 32 boxed 2" wood blinds into the back with the hatch down. Could not believe it! I am 6'3" 255lbs and I have no problem getting in and out, or with an adult sitting behind me when I drive. The size of this car is deceptive. So far, very happy!

Crash Revue
By Gael's Guy on 02/16/05 21:56 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well for any of you who might wonder, this little car can take a shot. I was rear-ended by an 18 wheeler tanker.I had to stop for a #$#*&% that pulled a u-turn in front of me and I made a successful stop. Good breaking with the GT (I don't have ABS). Just as I was thinking "close call", WHAM!! I took a shot from the rear. I mean a SHOT. 6,500$ worth of damage. No damage to me. Not even any aches the next day. It hurt when it happened and I was dazed a bit. I am waiting to get it back hopefully this Friday.

Best in class
By Dman on 01/10/05 22:20 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car with 56,000 miles on it. The miles are all highway miles as the guy drove it to work everyday. Bought right after he traded it in. Now it has 59,000 and I had no problems whatsoever even though it had been used heavily. I'm sure it'll last me way above 100k especially considering it's a 2003.

Excellent Buy!
By CCmonster on 01/06/05 03:20 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I bought this as our first new car after doing a lot of research. We really wanted a hatchback and this one fit our budget without sacraficing quality!

For Real!
By Texas on 12/29/04 17:54 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This CAR IS FOR REAL! I've been getting around 26 in the city (semi- aggressive) and around 32 on the HWY (70-80 mph), 34 if I drive normal. i have never had leather, a 6 cd changer, or a moonroof! I Love it, baby! Couldn't of got that with the pontiac vibe, toyota matrix, mazda 6, or the chevy maxx (with extras, all these OVER $23,000!!! It just doesn't add up, does it?)

It has sold me on Hyundai
By jefe on 09/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I now have just over a year in and I still love the car. No complaints worth mentioning. I went with the Hyundai after 10 years in SAABs (you can't tell them apart when they pass you fast!) and while it is not a SAAB, it's not $30,000 either. I will certainly buy Hyundai again.

What a great car!
By jrseattle on 06/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car based on the attractive price and the many positive consumer reviews and I have not been disappointed. The car drives like a dream, has not given me any trouble and is a joy, to look at, to sit in. The hatchback feature with flat rear seats is very practical and the leather seats still smell good. Initial acceleration is great but midrange performance definitely could be improved but hey, it's not a Porsche (I used to drive one). Fuel economy around town is no better than 24 mpg but jumps to 35 going 75 on the freeway (I love the little computer showing this). The doors don't quite close a easily as I'd like when the weather is warm.