Used 2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

A Bargain and Fun to Drive Too
By Enrique

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's been a joy to own and drive. The things you get for the price is hard to believe, even 4 years later. The hatchback styling is very Saabish and practical. The trunk is large (fits four tires perfectly) and with the seats folded, it's huge (10+ tires, full size desk, etc). The space, ride and quietness surprises everyone. Although the stock handling doesn't live up to the GT emblem, a Tiburon rear sway bar takes minutes to swap in. Reliability has been better than I expected - about one trip per year to the dealership and it's never left me stranded.

Not any feature in particular but the LONG LIST of features. Rear seat space, trunk space, quiet ride, good brakes, punchy engine, traction control, styling...

A stiffer rear sway bar for the GT, more durable paint... rear seat lighting is omitted with the sunroof. More power would be fun, but power is OK for its class already.

Would buy again!
By DBiz

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have put 45K miles on mine and it's been great. I have a small car ego: my main concerns are reliability and gas mileage. This car excels in both areas. Only corrective maintenance needed in 4+ years is to replace headlight bulbs and a blown thermostat (car overheated). The thermostat repair was covered by warranty and I got a free tow through the roadside assistance plan - no problems with either. I drive 50 miles a day for work, mostly highway, and get 32-35 mpg cruising at 70. It's probably closer to 20 mpg around town. Other mentions: Excellent storage under the hatch...good power and torque, you can pass easily on the highway...easy to use interior controls.

Solid car all around. Outstanding gas mileage. Excellent power and control, good road feel. Good storage space under hatch. Reliable. Comfortable interior with all the standard features most would want.

It's hard to find too many serious things to complain about! I would make the light bulbs easier to change - unnecessarily tricky. Road noise is pronounced at high speeds, could use more soundproofing. Seats could use better lumbar support (that's a pretty individual assessment).

good car, service too expensive.
By Beth

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just took my car in for its 60,000 servicing-- $880!! I was not shocked by the $400 servicing at 30,000, but this one threw me for a loop! I wasn't prepared for that big a number. (I guess the warranty is not COMPLETELY free, since these two services are REQUIRED in order to keep your car under warranty.) I have had to replace a few bulbs too, and they are a little tricky to do yourself. One bigger issue: When I accelerate hard to get up to speed (like on an on-ramp) the car downshifts ROUGH-- it sounds like the transmission is about to fall out of the bottom of the car. I don't like that much, and the dealership doesn't seem to think it is a big deal, but it makes me nervous.

leather seats, sunroof, the hatchback will fit just about anything you can imagine and some things you would never imagine! Seats fold down really easy, looks good, great price for all the car has to offer.

longer lasting bulbs, smoother transmission, more reasonable cost for servicing!! Cupholders in the middle are too close together and it is hard to put two cups in at once. The cupholders in the doors are useless-- too awkward and small for anything to fit into.

No Problems
By streak

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had this car for over 3 years. Light usage, mostly in town, some trips. Have had no problems..nada. Guess I'll take it in at 30k for checkup. Have not replaced any lights,but will check them all out after reading other reviews. A very fun and reliable car.

Handling, reliability, reasonable gas mileage, looks

Cannot think of any

Emergency Brake
By stoneweave

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Hyundai for 4 years now and just recently my emergency started freezing. A mechanic told me that the brake seemed fine, but the problem still continues. The other major problem that I had with the car was the paint. After one year the paint started bubbling in certain spots. I complained to the dealer and was finally able to get them to repaint the car free of charge.

dashboard lights trunk space

It is frustating that the dealer charges $400 dollars for the 30,000 mile checkup. I bought the car because it was economical.