2003 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Nice Car, Bad MPG
By Chen on 08/31/09 11:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A very good car. I got it as a used one with 35,000 miles. It's comfort but very, very poor mpg in city. ~ 200-250 miles/tank (14.5 gallon). Omg, where is the gas going? but good mpg in highway, ~ 30 mpg.

VERY DISAPPOINTED
By Mrs Barrett on 08/08/09 14:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 06 with only 15k miles on it so it was like brand new. I bought it because of the reputation of reliability, quality and gas mileage. But right at 50,000 miles in the middle of a road trip, my radiator suddenly cracked without warning and all of my coolant leaked out on the spot and my engine overheated. It all happened within 60 seconds at a stop light. I ended up stranded for 4 full days. Finally the dealership discovered the cracked radiator. No one can explain why that happened. I have kept impeccable care of the car. In fact I checked my coolant levels etc before I left on the trip. All was fine. It cost me over $1000 and now I am nervous to go on a trip!

Great Car!
By Hyndi03 on 06/23/09 13:47 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car pre-owned with 50,000 miles on it and it now has 88,000 and never had a problem. Had the car two years and constantly commute state to state. I can put $35 of gas in the tank (which is about 14 gallons if you really push it) and get around 450 miles to the tank. Drove from Philadelphia to Vermont without filling up and still had gas left over! Keep up on the oil changes, transmission flushes, and the tune ups and this car will never leave you stranded. Reliable, simple, and has good pickup.

I love my car
By Sharon on 06/07/09 09:19 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car brand new and have had all required service completed as suggested. To date I have had no problems with my car. I have 84 thousand miles on it and hope it keeps on going. My next car will most likely be another Elantra or a Sonata depending on cost .

Love this car!
By Mel on 05/19/09 11:19 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in 2005 with only 13000 miles on it. Now in 2009 with over 100K miles it still drives almost like new! I had to replace the brakes once... but that's it. I live in New England and this car has made it up hills in a foot of snow that I've seen honda CRVs struggling in. This car was an awesome investment and I am most definitely going to be getting another elantra when I get a new car and I'm secretly jealous of whoever gets my old used one!

Great car for the money
By Radley on 03/22/09 09:46 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in late '02; now have 92K miles. Had only a few minor problems, all covered under extended warranty: E-brake cable, rear wheel bearing, hatch latch. Orig. tires went 40K miles, brakes a bit more. Needs a new clutch, but 90k mile seems about right. Paint is sensitive to dings and scratches, but the body has held up fairly well. I've lost a few radio control knobs, and the speakers are beginning to give a little static, but the interior has held up nicely. Service at dealers has been mixed, sometimes too expensive and other times they don't do things listed in manual (like radiator flush at 60,000). Resale value isn't great, so I will keep this car until it falls apart.

Good cheap car
By Jack on 03/22/09 08:09 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive my Elantra 80 miles hwy everyday for the past year. It has had very few issues such as the O2 sensors failing and my parking break snapped. Relatively cheap fixes. What did concern me was when I hit my cow of a deer, was that the air bags didn't deploy when the whole front end of my car was smashed up. The repairs, covered by my collision insurance were extremely cheap, only coming out to be $1400 total for new headlights, grill, hood, bumper + cover fog lights, horn, paint job and tire. It has been a great car and has been a pretty good winter car.

Five years and no problems
By kazz64 on 10/27/08 05:57 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had my 2003 Hyundai Elantra for five years and have had no problems. Bought car new with four miles on it. Outside of new brakes, tires and oil changes, have had ZERO problems with my car. Has never been in shop for problems. Am selling now at 70k miles, and will buy another as this car has been perfect. Honestly cannot say any issues/problems have had with car. Have never had to test warranty. Very happy.

Excellent value, very reliable
By 505danielm on 10/16/08 16:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been an excellent car, the price and warranty are what got us looking at it initially. We've never owned an import before, but now I'd definitely buy another Hyundai. We get 32-34 mpg in town, 40+ hwy. Gasoline with very high ethanol content does reduce MPG somewhat, but it will do that on any car. The only expense other than regular maintenance items was a battery. Plenty of interior room, upholstery still looks like new. PW, PDL, A/C, power mirrors all standard. Dealership was very determined to keep customers satisfied. We are very pleased with our Hyundai.

VERY GOOD CHOICE ! ! !
By Family Guy on 10/11/08 19:15 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have bought my Elantra brand new for $13.800. I insisted on ABS (also came with cruise control and traction control) I worked as a "valet" so i was test driving all kinds of vehicles, but between corolla and civic, i liked elantra better. 10yr and 100,000 miles was a plus. only problem i had with the car is fuel tank. a wall inside the tank was loose, and was making noise. Hyundai dealer changed the tank under the warranty. the engine is not so fuel efficient. the most mpg i got is around 29mpg on a highway (but car was fully loaded, driven 75mph+) but in the city i don't know where the gas is going. i refuel, and few days - boom - gas is not there (trip less than 150- 200 miles(14.5 gal!!))