2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Love It
By Ryan on 08/30/10 05:13 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new in '03 and now has 117,000 on it and still runs and drives great. Have had zero problems other than the typical eating of tires and the head and tail light headaches. Has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. Also, hit a deer at 55 mph and the front end held up incredibly well, just replaced the grill and hood after about a month and looks and runs great still.

Don't Recommend
By Me on 07/23/10 11:45 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Within 4 years I have replaced the transmission, alternator, battery, brakes, replaced all 4 tires, and have gone through about 8 headlights. This is a nice cheap car, but you pay for what you get. I do not consider this car reliable, one thing breaks after the other. Gas is terrible and paint scratches easily.

Ultra-Reliable, Great Purchase
By balconyinthesun on 06/17/10 10:37 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in 2007, so it was 4 years old with about 70K kilometers on it. So far, there has been NO major work needed. This car starts immediately in -40 degree Celsius weather, a better track record than our 2005 Volks Jetta which needs to be boosted at least twice each winter. This car is pushed really hard with many road trips carrying full loads. Fuel economy is better than our other car, so we take this one on long road trips. There is no a/c, no power anything, but that means that any repair costs are much lower. We're having issues with the wiper motors right now, but we live spitting distance from freight trains, so there may be tons of dirt. Overall, I LOVE this car.

80%
By MissMissouri on 06/16/10 13:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I seem to have had the same experience as Mrs Barrett. Bought @ 25,000, currently @ 85,000. I run synthetic oil, keep up all maintenance religiously, and overall take care of my car. About 1000 miles ago (2 month.), I was driving home from work and my radiator reservoir tank blew a leak. It scared me. I was on cruise control late at night and suddenly I hear a loud POP and I see steam escaping out of the back of the car. The next day, and $500 later, I have a whole new radiator (reservoir tank alone cannot be replaced w/o changing the radiator!).

Not pretty but very fuel efficient!
By Steven on 01/22/10 12:39 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a little over 2 years now. It has 98000 miles on it and have never had a single problem with the car. The gas mileage is excellent! I always average 31 mpg! I would recommend this car for anyone who doesn't want to spend a bunch of money with upkeep and gas!

Brakes and Tires
By Kadaro on 01/11/10 06:51 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have 2 of the 2003s for my kids. Both are great and have one major flaw. You can't get the tires off if you get a flat. The steel rims rust to the hubs and needs a large rubber mallet to remove! This happened multiple times on both cars. Also, replacing front brake rotors....I couldn't remove them, and both cars the shop had to use a sledge hammer and bust the rotors off. They seize to the inner hub with rust.

great ride
By irlaxhicksy on 01/07/10 19:28 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i average about 30,000 miles a year and i have not had any problems with this car other then a thermostat at 75000 miles and oxygen sensor at 70000 miles, i live in the north east where we average five to six feet of snow a year and i never have had a problem in the snow till start driving in about a foot of it, and that's with two rear tires that wont pass inspection now

2003 elentra
By chebba on 10/19/09 22:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Car was purchased new. It can handle quite a lot: I had several huge people in my elentra when I struck the mother of all potholes traveling at a high rate of speed on the God forsaken streets of Brooklyn NY, I really thought at the very least there should have been casualties but to my amazement the car was not affected in any way. Another time my father had a huge accident drunk driving accident, it cost so many thousands to piece the car together everyone suggested the car should be scrapped yet the insurance carrier insisted it be repaired. To my amazement the car still rides well after massive cross- your finger type of repairs.

Nice Car, Bad MPG
By Chen on 08/31/09 11:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A very good car. I got it as a used one with 35,000 miles. It's comfort but very, very poor mpg in city. ~ 200-250 miles/tank (14.5 gallon). Omg, where is the gas going? but good mpg in highway, ~ 30 mpg.

VERY DISAPPOINTED
By Mrs Barrett on 08/08/09 14:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 06 with only 15k miles on it so it was like brand new. I bought it because of the reputation of reliability, quality and gas mileage. But right at 50,000 miles in the middle of a road trip, my radiator suddenly cracked without warning and all of my coolant leaked out on the spot and my engine overheated. It all happened within 60 seconds at a stop light. I ended up stranded for 4 full days. Finally the dealership discovered the cracked radiator. No one can explain why that happened. I have kept impeccable care of the car. In fact I checked my coolant levels etc before I left on the trip. All was fine. It cost me over $1000 and now I am nervous to go on a trip!