Used 2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great Second Car
By Stevete

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I had a Porsche Boxster S and a Mercedes S430 when I bought this car. Sold the Boxster S and use this car instead. Sound system is much better than the Boxster and the car is 10 times more reliable than the Merc. I could have bought 7 of these for what I paid for the S430.

Content for the price. Car is well screwed together. Looks better than all of its competitors. Reliability.

Would like to see a few more selections on interior colors. Dark gray/black is hot and claustrophobic in Florida.

Jos's Car
By Jos Sante

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I am 62 year old man and have owned 8 new cars in my lifetime. A VW, Chevy, Mercury, Toyota, Mitsubishi and this Hyundai is the best new car I ever owned. The design is smart, well done, clean and safe. It is also the best price car I ever bought and with the most conveniences included in standard price.

The appearance and the air bags.

Improved gas mileage.

Hyundai surprise
By BillG63

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was surprised by the value proposition of this car. It's fun to drive, gets good mileage (my mileage would be better if the car wasn't such fun to drive)and it seems to be very well put-together. And with the 10 year warranty you can't go wrong.

Handling, comfort, quiet, cargo room with hatchback, features

Better interior cabin lighting. Bring a flashlight; the dark interior and puny courtesy lights make the car impossible at night.

Very Nice Car
By joeveto

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is a great car. The size is deceptive, as it's much larger on the inside than you would think. The car looks a lot like a Saab 9-3, but has more interior and cargo space. And it's more efficient. We go on trips with our two kids and the dog, or with four grown adults. The car handles all our stuff and returns 34mpg. We've had no mechanical issues with this car. No squeeks or rattles. Great car.

I love the hatchback. I also love the features for the money. Leather, moonroof, trip computer, nice stereo, $15700.

Second gear is too tall. The engine falls out of its peak when hitting second. That's it. Great car.

awesome car for the price
By ThriceSparta

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely love this car. I test drove all the competition and no other maker could offer so much for the Hyundai price and I actually prefered the looks and handling of the Hyundai over the higher priced competition. The hatchback is awesome and has a ton of room when the back seats are folded down, like a mini SUV. The car is very fun to drive, all my friends are impressed. It handles as nice as the Subaru WRX but about 5K less in price. Has way more horsepower than a Honda Civic and a much better look. Hyundai has made a believer out of me and I highly recommend the hatchback.

Overall looks--my friends were all very impressed. The hatchback is awesome for cargo space. Leather seats, alloy wheels, six-speaker cd, the list goes on

Hatchbacks hard to find for buyers, dealers are pushing the sedan and not the hatchback which in my opinion is a mistake. The hatchback is better looking and just has more to offer.