2003 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Car is a great friend!
By hayleypow on 09/27/12 14:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, so I got this car when I was 17 and never had a problem with it! I've driven from California to Washington and back several times and seriously it drives great and is very reliable. I know have 136K miles on it and did replace my clutch about 6 months ago. It will probably need a few normal upkeep type repairs soon. But I hope to keep driving it. It still looks like a new car to me and I am so glad I got this car way back when!

Great Car Great Price
By kccoflbp on 05/31/12 19:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used in 2008 with 26,000 miles for 5200 dollars. Still own it and love it today. Now has 126,000 miles and running strong. The only maintenance we have done is regular oil changes and timing belt change at 70,000 miles. Averaging 35 miles per gallon.

I loved my Elantra!
By pagan_born87 on 04/12/12 23:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car and I got it back in 2006 with 110,000 miles on it. Drove it back and forth from WV to VA and never had a problem with it, it handled great and got really good milage (a full tank could get me from VA beach to the mountains just fine!). It was really reliable and the only things I've ever had to replace on it was the timing belt and recently the battery (at around 147,000 miles). It was recently totaled (the front end pan caked but that was my fault!) and I miss it a lot. I loved it so much I find myself looking to trade in the fantasy kia I got so I can buy another Elantra. It is a really great car and I would recomend it to anyone!

Great MPG/Great Bang for the Buck
By rkovach51 on 12/18/10 03:21 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love it.I bought my 2003 Elantra 5-speed manual w/35,000 miles in March 2003 from the dealership; have 7000 more miles on it. (Hyundai is THE benchmark for customer service in this market!!!). I get 31+ mpg city/hwy and 33+ mpg on freeway travel from Chicago to Northern Ohio at 75+ mph. Great car! Room enough for the single person or small family; great handling; heater brings up good heat in cold weather within 1/2 mile or so; front SIDE airbags. A little noisy in the manual 5-speed. Runs remarkably smooth on mid-priced tires (Barum Tires). Caution: It does take a crowbar and body builder to yank the tire off the wheel! I would buy a new (and now larger) Elantra in a heartbeat. Enjoy.

Interesting take s on this car.
By Chris on 10/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was a gift to my wife at 173K miles. It stood in the African sun for a year before the radiator was done and the head skimmed. After 200 miles on the very first trip, it overheated. Towed it to a work-from-home mechanic. Problem was a T-insert pipe in the cooling system repaired with silicon! This was re-engineered and all else done properly. After running it in for 2000 miles to settle the head, the power at 7K rpm pops your eyes. This engine is amazing; you can do anything at any rpm. Never saw such before. In Johannesburg above 5800 ft ASL I get 42 mpg. Semi-city and synchronized lights. The soft body is an all-round crumple zone. Saved me a bomb! 2nd choice after the Mazda3.

Ultra-Reliable, Great Purchase
By balconyinthesun on 06/17/10 10:37 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in 2007, so it was 4 years old with about 70K kilometers on it. So far, there has been NO major work needed. This car starts immediately in -40 degree Celsius weather, a better track record than our 2005 Volks Jetta which needs to be boosted at least twice each winter. This car is pushed really hard with many road trips carrying full loads. Fuel economy is better than our other car, so we take this one on long road trips. There is no a/c, no power anything, but that means that any repair costs are much lower. We're having issues with the wiper motors right now, but we live spitting distance from freight trains, so there may be tons of dirt. Overall, I LOVE this car.

Not pretty but very fuel efficient!
By Steven on 01/22/10 12:39 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a little over 2 years now. It has 98000 miles on it and have never had a single problem with the car. The gas mileage is excellent! I always average 31 mpg! I would recommend this car for anyone who doesn't want to spend a bunch of money with upkeep and gas!

great ride
By irlaxhicksy on 01/07/10 19:28 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i average about 30,000 miles a year and i have not had any problems with this car other then a thermostat at 75000 miles and oxygen sensor at 70000 miles, i live in the north east where we average five to six feet of snow a year and i never have had a problem in the snow till start driving in about a foot of it, and that's with two rear tires that wont pass inspection now

Nice Car, Bad MPG
By Chen on 08/31/09 11:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A very good car. I got it as a used one with 35,000 miles. It's comfort but very, very poor mpg in city. ~ 200-250 miles/tank (14.5 gallon). Omg, where is the gas going? but good mpg in highway, ~ 30 mpg.

VERY DISAPPOINTED
By Mrs Barrett on 08/08/09 14:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 06 with only 15k miles on it so it was like brand new. I bought it because of the reputation of reliability, quality and gas mileage. But right at 50,000 miles in the middle of a road trip, my radiator suddenly cracked without warning and all of my coolant leaked out on the spot and my engine overheated. It all happened within 60 seconds at a stop light. I ended up stranded for 4 full days. Finally the dealership discovered the cracked radiator. No one can explain why that happened. I have kept impeccable care of the car. In fact I checked my coolant levels etc before I left on the trip. All was fine. It cost me over $1000 and now I am nervous to go on a trip!