Used 2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Car is a great friend!
By hayleypow

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, so I got this car when I was 17 and never had a problem with it! I've driven from California to Washington and back several times and seriously it drives great and is very reliable. I know have 136K miles on it and did replace my clutch about 6 months ago. It will probably need a few normal upkeep type repairs soon. But I hope to keep driving it. It still looks like a new car to me and I am so glad I got this car way back when!

I can't think of anything!

Great Car Great Price
By kccoflbp

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used in 2008 with 26,000 miles for 5200 dollars. Still own it and love it today. Now has 126,000 miles and running strong. The only maintenance we have done is regular oil changes and timing belt change at 70,000 miles. Averaging 35 miles per gallon.

Rear defroster, Heater, Gas mileage, handling, surprising power. Gearing is just right for me.

Better radio and speakers, better brakes.

I loved my Elantra!
By pagan_born87

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car and I got it back in 2006 with 110,000 miles on it. Drove it back and forth from WV to VA and never had a problem with it, it handled great and got really good milage (a full tank could get me from VA beach to the mountains just fine!). It was really reliable and the only things I've ever had to replace on it was the timing belt and recently the battery (at around 147,000 miles). It was recently totaled (the front end pan caked but that was my fault!) and I miss it a lot. I loved it so much I find myself looking to trade in the fantasy kia I got so I can buy another Elantra. It is a really great car and I would recomend it to anyone!

sun roof, great acceleration, low cost at the gas station, fun to drive

Could have had a stronger frame but other then that I wouldn't change a thing!

Great MPG/Great Bang for the Buck
By rkovach51

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love it.I bought my 2003 Elantra 5-speed manual w/35,000 miles in March 2003 from the dealership; have 7000 more miles on it. (Hyundai is THE benchmark for customer service in this market!!!). I get 31+ mpg city/hwy and 33+ mpg on freeway travel from Chicago to Northern Ohio at 75+ mph. Great car! Room enough for the single person or small family; great handling; heater brings up good heat in cold weather within 1/2 mile or so; front SIDE airbags. A little noisy in the manual 5-speed. Runs remarkably smooth on mid-priced tires (Barum Tires). Caution: It does take a crowbar and body builder to yank the tire off the wheel! I would buy a new (and now larger) Elantra in a heartbeat. Enjoy.

Features: Front passenger side airbags. great gas mileage, great customer service (if you buy from the dealer), easy & solid handling, FWD is stable in snow & rain, feels solid like a more expensive car, wonderful stereo system for a car in this price range. great heat and A/C, never seems to be sluggish, runs in 5th gear at 2500 rpm - great for a 4-cylinder.

Interesting take s on this car.
By Chris

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was a gift to my wife at 173K miles. It stood in the African sun for a year before the radiator was done and the head skimmed. After 200 miles on the very first trip, it overheated. Towed it to a work-from-home mechanic. Problem was a T-insert pipe in the cooling system repaired with silicon! This was re-engineered and all else done properly. After running it in for 2000 miles to settle the head, the power at 7K rpm pops your eyes. This engine is amazing; you can do anything at any rpm. Never saw such before. In Johannesburg above 5800 ft ASL I get 42 mpg. Semi-city and synchronized lights. The soft body is an all-round crumple zone. Saved me a bomb! 2nd choice after the Mazda3.

Amazing comfort and response. Kick off you shoe, use your big toe for better mileage. Get to know the rev counter.

To make it a better machine? Nothing really.