2003 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Car is a great friend!
By hayleypow on 09/27/12 14:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, so I got this car when I was 17 and never had a problem with it! I've driven from California to Washington and back several times and seriously it drives great and is very reliable. I know have 136K miles on it and did replace my clutch about 6 months ago. It will probably need a few normal upkeep type repairs soon. But I hope to keep driving it. It still looks like a new car to me and I am so glad I got this car way back when!

1stCar
By gijoemc on 09/14/12 15:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first car, and I bought it almost 2 years ago with about 133,000 miles on it. It is a great car and was a great value. I have had only 1 major problem with it: my alternator belt broke last winter when it got to about -10ºF out, but I still managed to drive it the other half of the way to school (with no power steering). That was the only thing that has broke on this car to my knowledge and now its at the 149,000 mile mark. Also it has a bullet hole in it, so this cars a trooper. Aaaannd, a minor difference, but I'd say this is a 'girl' car but not a 'girly' car. Like how boats are always referred to as feminine, thats this car.

Great Car Great Price
By kccoflbp on 05/31/12 19:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used in 2008 with 26,000 miles for 5200 dollars. Still own it and love it today. Now has 126,000 miles and running strong. The only maintenance we have done is regular oil changes and timing belt change at 70,000 miles. Averaging 35 miles per gallon.

I loved my Elantra!
By pagan_born87 on 04/12/12 23:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car and I got it back in 2006 with 110,000 miles on it. Drove it back and forth from WV to VA and never had a problem with it, it handled great and got really good milage (a full tank could get me from VA beach to the mountains just fine!). It was really reliable and the only things I've ever had to replace on it was the timing belt and recently the battery (at around 147,000 miles). It was recently totaled (the front end pan caked but that was my fault!) and I miss it a lot. I loved it so much I find myself looking to trade in the fantasy kia I got so I can buy another Elantra. It is a really great car and I would recomend it to anyone!

Functional Car. Great for teens
By clcs5860 on 12/11/11 19:06 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the vehicle in late 2005 with only 19K miles on it. Was a good purchase. Drove it for a year and the sold it to my teenage son for $2000. Great inexpensive transportation. Unfortunately car was totaled in a hail storm.

Great MPG/Great Bang for the Buck
By rkovach51 on 12/18/10 03:21 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love it.I bought my 2003 Elantra 5-speed manual w/35,000 miles in March 2003 from the dealership; have 7000 more miles on it. (Hyundai is THE benchmark for customer service in this market!!!). I get 31+ mpg city/hwy and 33+ mpg on freeway travel from Chicago to Northern Ohio at 75+ mph. Great car! Room enough for the single person or small family; great handling; heater brings up good heat in cold weather within 1/2 mile or so; front SIDE airbags. A little noisy in the manual 5-speed. Runs remarkably smooth on mid-priced tires (Barum Tires). Caution: It does take a crowbar and body builder to yank the tire off the wheel! I would buy a new (and now larger) Elantra in a heartbeat. Enjoy.

Great car
By Kevin on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My wife bought this car used in 2006 after her 1999 Elantra was totaled. It had about 35,000 miles on it and we put another 85,000 on it. I put new brake pads on it one time, new plugs twice, changed the oil every 3 to 5000 miles, and we went through 1 and a half sets of tires. This car was super reliable and I would still be driving it at 120,000 miles if it had not been totaled recently. I have no doubt that this car would have made it to 200,000 or more miles. Was hit twice at high speed on a rainy day on HWY 210 and I walked away with no major injuries.

Basic commute
By Kalyan C Jagarlamudi on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The car is a reliable, spacious and economical mode of transport. It is no looker and the interiors are dull and grey. Build quality is at par with industry average but surprisingly the car does not feel tinny. The 4 cylinder is very smooth but gets buzzy at high revs and power delivery is linear as expected from a compact sedan with economy in mind. The ride is neither too harsh nor too plush. It is somewhere in between. Handling is abysmal in tight turns though the steering is well weighted. Fuel economy is good. All electricals work seamlessly. It is very reliable and starts at the first crank every time. Cheap to own and run as well. Overall a perfect car on a shoe-string budget!

Great Econ Car
By aznrule191 on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been a great economy car since the day I bought it. I got 26 MPG around town and then 30+ on long highway trips. I put a K and N filter in and now it runs even better with even more efficient gas mileage. This car comfortably sits 4 people and can have a fifth if necessary.

Interesting take s on this car.
By Chris on 10/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was a gift to my wife at 173K miles. It stood in the African sun for a year before the radiator was done and the head skimmed. After 200 miles on the very first trip, it overheated. Towed it to a work-from-home mechanic. Problem was a T-insert pipe in the cooling system repaired with silicon! This was re-engineered and all else done properly. After running it in for 2000 miles to settle the head, the power at 7K rpm pops your eyes. This engine is amazing; you can do anything at any rpm. Never saw such before. In Johannesburg above 5800 ft ASL I get 42 mpg. Semi-city and synchronized lights. The soft body is an all-round crumple zone. Saved me a bomb! 2nd choice after the Mazda3.