Used 2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Nice Reliable Car
By Yogesh Dhingra

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 2 years now, Bought at 74K miles, currently has 112K Miles on it.2 Repairs apart from regular oil changes 1. O2 Sensor(which is not abnormal) 2. Throttle positioning switch. Through it has performed extremely well , Gives a decent 30-32 MPG.

Favorite Features

Nothing extraordinary still Gas mileage, Dependability, Very Few Mechanical Problems

Suggested Improvements

More light in the cabin in the backseat Plus I have to replace headlight every 7-8 Months or so.Wind noise on Freeway Speeds.

Stop Thinking about buying this car !!!
By josh

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been in 3 Major accidents in my 2002 elantra gls the first 2 did nearly $10,000 in damage the third was a total loss where I only received $3,500 for my car from Allstate. This car does not have anti lock breaks (abs) and it has poor traction control. In all 3 accidents none of my airbags deployed. My insurance sky rocketed. After the second accident I never felt safe again. The feeling of sliding and then slamming into something is something I will never forget. Save your self and other people from elantras and avoid them like the plague.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats make the slide and slam show all the better.

Suggested Improvements

Massive revision of the elantra line

198,000 km and still rolling
By Nick

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car 4 months ago had to change the radiator, the battery and the head light now have to change the exhaust, the alternator and the spark plugs despite of this... Man I love my car! Nice plastic wood finish, engine not hard on oil and engine very peppy for a 2.0l 4 cyl. Only paid 1500$ and I knew I had to put money in it but I didn't mind cause Hyundai is a very reliable brand and that my car will last for another 198,00 km ; )

Favorite Features

great sound system

Suggested Improvements

cruise control ( put it somewhere else lol) seats uncomfortable on long distance, head lights

Few Repairs until Engine Failure 150k
By PG

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2002. It had only two very minor repairs during the 150,000 miles I had the car 1)coolant thermostat (replaced myself for $30. 2)Headlight bulbs - replaced nearly 3 times...not very expensive but a little inconvenient. The car was extremely dependable on a daily basis and very fuel efficient. However, at 150k miles, the thrust bearing went out in the engine, meaning I needed a new engine. The replacement cost would have been about what the car was worth..$3000. I would highly recommend the car but would suggest calling a dealer first to see if the 02 models are known for this particular engine problem.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, Dependability, Very Few Mechanical Problems

Never buy someone elses problems
By gshokesr

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used when it had 66,532 miles on it. It now has 69,880 miles on it I cannot drive it due to a cracked high pressure power steering hose that can only be purchashed as a dealer part. Cost of hose is excessive (I priced them so far at 189.00 to 205.00 dollars) while at the mechanics that the car dealership I purchased the car at told me to take it they found 5 other things wrong with the evap system when they did a computer diagnostic (the check engine light came on just before the power steering hose blew) just 3 weeks before these problems occured I had to replace both headlamp bulbs just 3 days apart at a cost of $36.89. Overall I am very unhappy with this car so far.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

The c.d. player even stopped working.The paint is cheap and the headlight lenses are foggy.The molding around the doors is also coming loose.