2002 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Good Car
By KC on 01/14/08 21:41 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've read several of consumer comments while shopping for a new car. I bought my Elantra in 2002. It was a base GLS, no options for $9990. It was a lose leader. I owned the car for 5 years and 50,000 miles. The cost of ownership was lower than any other vehicle period. I changed the oil, rotated the tires and replaced the tires at 46,000 miles. That's all I put into the car. No windshield wipers, no battery, no brakes. Everything worked fine. The car was extremely reliable, started everytime and got me from point A to B. The car was totaled, so I'm looking at replacing it with a 05 Elantra. I had a manual, no issues with the clutch or gear box. I drove this car hard and didn't have an issue.

A little trooper she is.
By mona on 10/01/07 09:03 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Six months after buying my Elantra, I was hit from behind by a semi (which pushed me into the car in front of me). Other than a pulled back, I was fine. My car, on the other hand, had to have quite a bit of work (body and two things under the hood). Over four years later, I've never had a problem with the engine -- despite her smash- up. I'm no mechanic but that record speaks to me of her reliability more so than if she'd never been in such a collision.

I love Hyundais
By lauram on 09/15/07 23:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the third Hyundai I've owned and I loved all of them. My last one had 250,000 miles on it, yes you read correctly that's not a typo, 250,000 miles. And it's still going, I sold it to the salesman who sold me my car! He bought it for his daughter and he loves it. I never had a problem with any hyundai, I can't say the same for the 2 fords I had. terrible cars. give me a hyundai any day. I am totally sold on these cars.

Best Bang for the buck!!
By Christian on 08/03/07 20:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love this Elantra, just got it with 55K miles on it, and it is so much better then my Saturn! Now at 58K, nothing has gone wrong. Hope to keep it that way. :-D Engine: very peppy and quiet. Transmission: 4 speed auto with O/D, very smooth shifting. Interior: power windows, locks, CD player with premium sound, OEM wood grain kit. (Can you believe it!!?) Seats are great! AC and heat work awesome. Exterior: 15" steelies with hubcaps (want to get OEM rims) tinted headlights, aftermarket daytime running light kit (dims highs @ 75% power), white paint, mud flaps all the way around.

A great fun, reliable car!
By pirategirl on 07/21/07 18:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Elantra GT for 5 years and I absolutely love it. It's given me no problems, it's fun to drive and with the hatchback and fold down seats it has a ton of cargo space. I opted for the manual 5 speed, I really didn't think the automatic had enough pep in it. We're now in the market for an SUV as well and we're definately looking at Hyundai - can't beat the value.

Not what I'd hoped
By GuyG on 06/02/07 04:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought vehicle on $ & Hype also liked idea of not buying used and getting someone else's problems. It worked, I got my own. 5 years 3... oops now to be 4 sets of brakes. Bumper to Bumper warranty? They looked at 1 wheel, 10 minutes say it's not covered asked 1400 to fix, refused and they charged me 85 as a diagnostic. Suggested I am hard on brakes, my last vehicle had 185,000 with only 1 set of pads. Body dings and scratches very easily, window molding is actually black tape, which peels and bubbles. Body rusting.. guess what,not covered. Can't trade in only can get 2500 market is flooded with these

Loving my Hyundai
By Eugene Oberfrank on 05/20/07 12:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been flawless in its handling and maintance. A top quality car. Service rates a 1. Mileager has been 33 mpg on trips.

great car
By tre on 04/01/07 23:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this car has been awesome!..i love the handling the features and the style. this is the best overall car i have ever owned!..little stuff bug me like the wierd wear patterns on the hubcaps..looks like painted thin plastic succecptable to wear...i need to have those replaced...paint in general seems thin on the whole car.. (easy scratch marks)...but that really is my biggest complaint..the car is a winner outside of that!!!...peppy..handles well..nice stereo and well designed..thank god i dont have to get my 6'3" frame in the backseat tho!...=)...not a ton of room back there, but enough for the average joe or jo-ette...i like this car alot, make driving fun for me again!!

2002 Elantra VE
By Chris Mathews on 03/07/07 19:18 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle used (lease return)with 83300kms on the clock. It has exceeded all my expectations. The only trouble I have had was the failure of the front speed sensor on the auto transmission. It would not let it shift to 3rd gear. I was able to drive at 80kph to the dealer where it was replaced. The transmission shifts beautifully. I plan on another Hyundai as my next vehicle, and I highly recommend it to anyone who asks.The only downside for me is the control for the cruise. It is not as convenient to use as the buttons on the steering wheel used by other manufacturers.

Economical and Reliable
By drbr on 02/18/07 08:33 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new in 2002. We test drove Toyotas and Hondas and tried Hyundai on a whim. Price not a factor, this was still our favorite of the three (Civic, Corolla and Elantra). It doesn't have much of a personality and some people sniff at the name badge, but for our money we couldn't be happier. We've replaced the tires and brakes and have 57k on the vehicle now. We get 33-36mpg highway. People complain about resale but we plan to keep this little econobox until it won't run anymore. My highest compliment for the vehicle is that we bought it while I was still in professional school and now that I've graduated I’m still proud to drive it though now we could afford something more.