Used 2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Worst Car EVER!!!!
By stogz

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my daughter in-law on October 31, 2009. The worst mistake ever. The salesman said this was such a good car. Had not owned it a month when check engine light came on. It needed a new head gasket, water pump, timing chain, valve cover gasket. Since all this work it developed an oil leak when it is drove on a trip, must be a high pressure leak. Hyundai dealership does not have good enough mechanics to figure it out. I will never buy another Hyundai. I will always stick with a Toyota or Honda.

Not sure. It's been in the shop to much to tell.

Make it more reliable.

189K and counting.
By Mike

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have a great history with Hyundia. I bought a new 2002 elantra and drove it for a year. Gave it back due to a bk, to have cheaper pymts. Then bought a 2002 Sonata, returned it two days later, due to hating the big floaty ride. Got another 2002 Elantra, formal rental, with 22k. 6 yrs later 189k and counting. My friends cannot believe that I still use this car for my daily 100+ miles commute. Service history: The first year, it had service to fix a throttle sensor, no cost. Next year the battery, no cost both under warranty. At 96k changed timing belt. The only bad thing is that you have to replace the headlights every 6 months. Oil changes every 10k, tires, one set of brakes. @30mpg. Sweet.

Price,warranty,interior space, total package to most as a good car.

Head lights, replace timing belt with a timing chain.

Great car - no fuss
By Manesh

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good car. Only issues I had with the car was when the dealer worked on my car. Changed the timing belt on advice of the dealer but when I looked at the old belt it looked almost new. Replace front rotors on the wheel due to rusting ($100 each). Other than that I have no issues with the car. It made it through the crazy upstate New York winter like a chap. Like the go-cart feeling. For the person who did not like the steering feel, take it to a mechanic and tighten the steering column.

door bell alarm, instrument panel looks plain but awesome.

Fix the burning through the headlight issue. Seat uncomfortable on long journey's

Lights burn out it's a bulb
By Hersocute

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my car.It has the 100,000 mile warranty, I purchased the extended warranty have had no problems with it,The check engine light come on so your belts and things can be checked..Great car I would purchase another one...as far as the bulbs are concerned it's a tiny little bulb that doesn't last a life time for the person that griped about changing the bulb..

Good Solid Car
By Darin

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car new and have had little to no problems with it. I have replaced the normal items like tires, belts, etc. I have owned 2 Hyundai's and both cars I have over 200,000 miles on. Will buy again

My favorite feature is that they just keep going.

None