2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
A little trooper she is.
By mona on 10/01/07 09:03 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Six months after buying my Elantra, I was hit from behind by a semi (which pushed me into the car in front of me). Other than a pulled back, I was fine. My car, on the other hand, had to have quite a bit of work (body and two things under the hood). Over four years later, I've never had a problem with the engine -- despite her smash- up. I'm no mechanic but that record speaks to me of her reliability more so than if she'd never been in such a collision.

I love Hyundais
By lauram on 09/15/07 23:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the third Hyundai I've owned and I loved all of them. My last one had 250,000 miles on it, yes you read correctly that's not a typo, 250,000 miles. And it's still going, I sold it to the salesman who sold me my car! He bought it for his daughter and he loves it. I never had a problem with any hyundai, I can't say the same for the 2 fords I had. terrible cars. give me a hyundai any day. I am totally sold on these cars.

Best Bang for the buck!!
By Christian on 08/03/07 20:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love this Elantra, just got it with 55K miles on it, and it is so much better then my Saturn! Now at 58K, nothing has gone wrong. Hope to keep it that way. :-D Engine: very peppy and quiet. Transmission: 4 speed auto with O/D, very smooth shifting. Interior: power windows, locks, CD player with premium sound, OEM wood grain kit. (Can you believe it!!?) Seats are great! AC and heat work awesome. Exterior: 15" steelies with hubcaps (want to get OEM rims) tinted headlights, aftermarket daytime running light kit (dims highs @ 75% power), white paint, mud flaps all the way around.

Not what I'd hoped
By GuyG on 06/02/07 04:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought vehicle on $ & Hype also liked idea of not buying used and getting someone else's problems. It worked, I got my own. 5 years 3... oops now to be 4 sets of brakes. Bumper to Bumper warranty? They looked at 1 wheel, 10 minutes say it's not covered asked 1400 to fix, refused and they charged me 85 as a diagnostic. Suggested I am hard on brakes, my last vehicle had 185,000 with only 1 set of pads. Body dings and scratches very easily, window molding is actually black tape, which peels and bubbles. Body rusting.. guess what,not covered. Can't trade in only can get 2500 market is flooded with these

Loving my Hyundai
By Eugene Oberfrank on 05/20/07 12:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been flawless in its handling and maintance. A top quality car. Service rates a 1. Mileager has been 33 mpg on trips.

great car
By tre on 04/01/07 23:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this car has been awesome!..i love the handling the features and the style. this is the best overall car i have ever owned!..little stuff bug me like the wierd wear patterns on the hubcaps..looks like painted thin plastic succecptable to wear...i need to have those replaced...paint in general seems thin on the whole car.. (easy scratch marks)...but that really is my biggest complaint..the car is a winner outside of that!!!...peppy..handles well..nice stereo and well designed..thank god i dont have to get my 6'3" frame in the backseat tho!...=)...not a ton of room back there, but enough for the average joe or jo-ette...i like this car alot, make driving fun for me again!!

2002 Elantra VE
By Chris Mathews on 03/07/07 19:18 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle used (lease return)with 83300kms on the clock. It has exceeded all my expectations. The only trouble I have had was the failure of the front speed sensor on the auto transmission. It would not let it shift to 3rd gear. I was able to drive at 80kph to the dealer where it was replaced. The transmission shifts beautifully. I plan on another Hyundai as my next vehicle, and I highly recommend it to anyone who asks.The only downside for me is the control for the cruise. It is not as convenient to use as the buttons on the steering wheel used by other manufacturers.

The best there is in small cars.
By elantra sedan on 01/13/07 07:07 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Since I purchased this vehicle, all I've had to do was to service this vehicle for normal maintenance. I just recently replaced the radiator at 142,000 miles. Other than that, it's just been tires, brakes, tuneups, etc. The car has nice pickup for its size engine and on of the coldest a/c units I've ever experienced. Last June, someone in front of me kicked up some 4x8 pieces of wood on the highway. The car took it like a champ, and although had extensive front end damage, I was easily able to pull over on the shoulder of the road, even though the car obviously had to drive over the debris. The hood took most of the impact, was repaired, and I'm back on the road at over 145,000 miles.

excellent performance in accident
By PA driver on 12/16/06 00:05 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It was a cute, fun to drive little car. Gas mileage was decent. It did act up on a cold start for a while, had it to the dealer 5 times, they kept giving it back with same problem, so that's a service dept problem, not the car itself. I recently was in a head on collision on the highway. The car was totaled, but the passenger compartment stayed intact. The front end absorbed most of the force before it got to me. My most serious injury was a broken heel, so compared to what could have happened, that car did an amazing job of keeping me alive. My head/face was untouched except for a bloody nose from the airbag. I'm definitely considering another Hyundai for my next car.

Great job, Hyundai
By Fred Opalinsnki on 11/11/06 05:32 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This low-priced car has an amazing array of features. It is peppy, quiet and comfortable. With 53,000 miles, I have had no expenses for repairs. The warranty and reliablility are exceptional.