2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
21 months later
By BMC on 04/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've waited to write this review, because I put a lot of emphasis on quality and reliability. When I test- drove comparable cars, this was a hand- down winner in comfort and ride quality. It also had better features for a lower price. After almost two years of ownership, I'm pleased to say it's also very reliable.

My Second Hyundai
By timtriolo on 11/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After owning a Tiburon and having no mechanical problems with it, I purchased my Elantra GT. I knew it to be a steal with all of its standard features and great styling. So far, I've been just as happy with this Hyundai as I have been with my first. The structural integrity is incredible. I was hit three times by a drunk driver in a hit and run accident, and my car didn't budge from its lane. The leather interior is as beautiful as it is utilitarian. People tell me it looks like a SAAB. I got the look without paying the high premium I would have for the SAAB. My neighbor teased me about purchasing the Elantra; his SAAB has been in the shop twice this year.

1 year update
By Drvrage on 11/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

To give an update after one full year of driving in both the hot and cold of Canada I have to say I'm still in love with my car. Still fun to drive, Zero problems. Still feels tight and downright zippy. If you don't get snow tires you'll be sorry. I'm buying mine in a couple of days to prepare for the snow. I also recently got stuck in super heavy fog and really appreciated the fog lights. Excellent car. No reservations in recommending it. It is a keeper.

26K in PA
By PattyP on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car nearly 2 years ago, now I'm up to 26K. I've had no real problems with it; however, I did notice that when the automatic trans shifts gear, it's a bit sloppy between gears. Took it back to have it checked out and the 2003 loaner they gave me did the same thing. They say it's normal. We'll see how it goes but everything else is just great...reliable, good power, very comfortable.

I was surprised by the quality...
By kjones65 on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car a year ago as a company car to make daily trips and occasionally haul some equipment. I have been pleasantly surprised that the quality of the fit and finish over the year has been just as good as my passat. Hyundai has developed a solid product line in design and quality since it partnered with Daimler Chrysler. I would rec. this car for anyone looking for a great value.

13,000 miles and stilll happy
By Brooklyn based on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fell in love with the car on the test drive and haven't regretted the purchase yet. Very firm handling and good pickup on expressway driving - much better than former car (Saturn) Really like the exterior design - still see other drivers checking out the car - and the leather interior is a nice plus. Was initially skittish because of the (old) Hyundai reputation and fear that trade in value would drop like a stone, but have been happily surprised by performance (and I tend to drive my cars into the ground)

More then you would expect
By MarcinZ on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I paid 16500$ for my GT. This is after taxes, fees, etc. I took all the optional equipement and California emmisions. For the price I paid I got more then any other vehicle in the class could offer. GT looks great, is extremly fun to drive, and has great performance. If you are looking for a car that won't drain your wallet and you want to have fun driving it, GT is your best bet. Love the car and would definitely buy it again!

1-Year Update
By W Whicker on 07/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Now have 13k on the GT and it's still like new in every way. No mechanical (or any) problems so far. It's a great car at a great price. The hatch is good for hauling lots of stuff. Great fuel economy (25-26 mpg). It's a great value new or used!

yea
By elantraman on 05/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Can not beat it for the price. Compare to similar vehicles not 20K+ cars. Comfortable.

What Are You Waiting For? Get This Car!
By jr75 on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the Elantra GT for a year, and love it! Anyone "on the fence" about a Hyundai should really check out their new line -- esp the GT. These cars have terrific build quality, are reliable, and the features that cost an additional $3K-$4K in other cars are INCLUDED in the GT. Wife owns a Honda and she loves my car! Any fault that could possibly be found is beyond minor when you compare what you get vs. what you pay. Love the look of the car. Friends constantly stop me to ask if it's "really" a Hyundai. The photos on the site don't do it justice...Do yourself a favor -- put it on your list. Trust me, you're definitely NOT "settling."