Used 2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

great economy car
By Greg

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no real problems with this car. I wanted a vehicle that could haul my upright bass and other instruments but also had decent gas mileage. The Elantra hatchback fit the bill. It has performed marvelously. It has many of the ammenities of luxury cars at an affordable price. I liked the car so much, that we bought a 2002 Hyundai Accent hatchback as a second vehicle. By the way, it too can fit my double bass, but the neck does extend between the two front seats!

Favorite Features

Good sound system (unless you just want to hear a booming bass and no other frequencies). This is completely superficial, but the dashboard lighting looks really great.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage averages 28.7 mpg, which is pretty low for a car of this type.

Great value
By Hynundai Fan

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as a compromise between practicality (no more station wagon) and fun. I found the car to have more safety features (ABS, side air bags, TCS) and luxury items (leather seating, remote control mirrors) than any other similar vehicle. Can be stuffed full of cargo for trips, pulls 1000 lb motorcycle/trailer, lots of pep (never felt sluggish except when passing at high speeds - fully loaded - which I shouldn't be doing anyway). No repairs in three years. Great warranty, roadside asst plan.

Favorite Features

Mileage only 1 mpg less than sticker (According to Consumer Reports article on MPG, every automaker grossly overestimates mileage); nice sounding stereo system; leather seats. Warranty.

Suggested Improvements

More soundproofing on the hatch cargo cover - does get more noisy than a sedan. Low beam headlight distance way too short for safe driving at 65 mph. Softer tires (trade-off w/mileage and handling, though).

Excellent Car - I was Surprised!!!
By Nate

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm at 35,000 miles on my Elantra GT and have loved every bit of the driving. Car warranty is excellent and valuable. The car has just been fantastic. I'm glad I did not buy a Honda or Toyota based on reputation alone. Rather, I did my research on Hyundai, found out that their mgmt changed in the late 1990s and that their new focus was on quality. That shows through with their new models, so if you are a Hyundai hater, then you are just misinformed. Take a test drive! These are fantastic cars and I have high standards!!! Hands down better value than civic or corolla, plus you get the warranty. Only downside is resale value. If you buy one, plan to drive it for a long time.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, power moonroof, Cruise Control placed on steering column under steering wheel (not on side panel). Great power on highway. Every option 1 can think of. Drivers of Honda Accord point out features on my car they do not have! Excellent space for hauling stuff. High utility value!

Suggested Improvements

Make center console backlights the same color as the driver's panel lights. Replace the cheesy door open dinging bell sound. Sound a warning indicator if you leave headlights on. Tighten up suspension just a little bit. Maybe 5-10 more HP would be nice. Fix Fuel Gauge. Otherwise perfect car.

Nothing Special
By cubdust

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Elantra GT used (45,000 miles) and have owned it for 4 months. Like every vehicle on the market, you truly get what you pay for. It's been very reliable in getting me from point A to point B, but other than that, it offers very little. I feel it's way too low to the ground and the pickup is as good as a lawnmower. I made the dealer replace the brakes because they were so loose, and on a few occasions it had trouble switching gears despite its automatic transmission. The stereo is weak and the "dinging" noise the car makes when the door is open is excruciating painful. Other than that, it has performed well and met my expectations, but I will upgrade within 6 months.

Favorite Features

Terrific AC, starts every time, sunroof, leather seats, nice exterior look

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, stronger engine, better stereo system

Overall Good Experience with this Car
By CCM

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had a good experience with this car overall but not good enough to buy another Hyundai. On the plus side, you get a lot of features for the money; on the down side, you tend to get what you pay for. In 3 years, I never had any major problems (other than clutch going out after 12 months due to San Francisco hills), but had lots of minor problems: brake lights constantly going out, cruise control went out, CDs stuck in CD player, worn-out floor mats, paint dinged easily. That said, the car was mechanically sound and suited my needs well as a basic city car. Wouldn't buy another Hyundai, a) because I can afford something better now and b) because I can't get past its inherent cheapness.

Favorite Features

The moonroof was great, AC/heat worked well, nice dashboard, roomy cargo area, split back seat, keyless entry was a real plus.

Suggested Improvements

The clutch, tires and brakes wore prematurely on this car even for the hilly environment I live in. Better paint finish needed. Better sun visor needed (it's either up or down). Hated the cupholders (two normal-size coffees will squash together in the holder).