2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Stop Thinking about buying this car !!!
By josh on 02/17/09 10:20 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been in 3 Major accidents in my 2002 elantra gls the first 2 did nearly $10,000 in damage the third was a total loss where I only received $3,500 for my car from Allstate. This car does not have anti lock breaks (abs) and it has poor traction control. In all 3 accidents none of my airbags deployed. My insurance sky rocketed. After the second accident I never felt safe again. The feeling of sliding and then slamming into something is something I will never forget. Save your self and other people from elantras and avoid them like the plague.

198,000 km and still rolling
By Nick on 12/29/08 08:46 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car 4 months ago had to change the radiator, the battery and the head light now have to change the exhaust, the alternator and the spark plugs despite of this... Man I love my car! Nice plastic wood finish, engine not hard on oil and engine very peppy for a 2.0l 4 cyl. Only paid 1500$ and I knew I had to put money in it but I didn't mind cause Hyundai is a very reliable brand and that my car will last for another 198,00 km ; )

Few Repairs until Engine Failure 150k
By PG on 11/16/08 17:08 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2002. It had only two very minor repairs during the 150,000 miles I had the car 1)coolant thermostat (replaced myself for $30. 2)Headlight bulbs - replaced nearly 3 times...not very expensive but a little inconvenient. The car was extremely dependable on a daily basis and very fuel efficient. However, at 150k miles, the thrust bearing went out in the engine, meaning I needed a new engine. The replacement cost would have been about what the car was worth..$3000. I would highly recommend the car but would suggest calling a dealer first to see if the 02 models are known for this particular engine problem.

Never buy someone elses problems
By gshokesr on 11/02/08 12:22 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used when it had 66,532 miles on it. It now has 69,880 miles on it I cannot drive it due to a cracked high pressure power steering hose that can only be purchashed as a dealer part. Cost of hose is excessive (I priced them so far at 189.00 to 205.00 dollars) while at the mechanics that the car dealership I purchased the car at told me to take it they found 5 other things wrong with the evap system when they did a computer diagnostic (the check engine light came on just before the power steering hose blew) just 3 weeks before these problems occured I had to replace both headlamp bulbs just 3 days apart at a cost of $36.89. Overall I am very unhappy with this car so far.

Keeping this car forever
By LM on 09/08/08 21:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car when this was all I could afford. I have 94000 on it. I've had some things go wrong with it. I had the transmission replaced, under warranty. The car is strange when I started it, it stutters for about 5-10 seconds when I press on the gas. Fixing the transmission has not fixed this. Other than that no problems whatsoever. Very reliable.

i'd rather have a yugo.
By bgbstrd on 05/11/08 19:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

No fun, no power, and phantom electrical issues. Been ok reliability wise, but is no fun. Steers like a Mack truck, rides like a Jeep with mud tires, and even after you sacrifice all the enjoyment of driving you only get about 24 miles a gallon. Thats not good enough for me. If it got 30 or better, then ok.

Reliable, but some maintenance woes
By drew_c on 04/12/08 03:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just paid off the car. Let me start by saying that the car runs like a dream, is exceptionally roomy for a compact, and maintains speed very well (a must when I drove it across country when I moved from the west to the east). Bought new for the warranty, but everything that went wrong was maintenance parts. Don't get me wrong, It is a fabulous car. You just need to know that you have to replace the headlights every year and tires every 1-2.

Good for a first car...
By westerized on 04/07/08 17:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car in 2006 and it had 54000 miles on it. The first problem I ran into was at about 62000 miles when an engine seal blew, which was probably because i was doing burnouts using the e-brake. Then at 73000 miles i had to replace the brake pads, which is apparently a common problem with the elantras from what I've been reading. It is important to note that I coast a lot instead of slamming on the brakes so 20000 miles without new brakes was probably due to my driving style. At 74000 miles the head gasket blew and caused the oil to leak into my radiator and now my engine is toasted. The entire time i drove the car it always drifted to the right, even after i got the axle changed @ 7000

Great Little Car
By Ashley on 03/28/08 15:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. It's great on gas, its fun, and its cute! I'm hooked on Hyundai Elantra. Whenever this one has seen its best days I'm getting another one. Its well worth every dime!

Good Car
By KC on 01/14/08 21:41 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've read several of consumer comments while shopping for a new car. I bought my Elantra in 2002. It was a base GLS, no options for $9990. It was a lose leader. I owned the car for 5 years and 50,000 miles. The cost of ownership was lower than any other vehicle period. I changed the oil, rotated the tires and replaced the tires at 46,000 miles. That's all I put into the car. No windshield wipers, no battery, no brakes. Everything worked fine. The car was extremely reliable, started everytime and got me from point A to B. The car was totaled, so I'm looking at replacing it with a 05 Elantra. I had a manual, no issues with the clutch or gear box. I drove this car hard and didn't have an issue.