Used 2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Most Helpful|
90k+ miles later, I'm still rolling.
By Mr. Volente

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't had any major problems w/this car at all. I did have a recall which they fixed no problem. Everything else has been smooth sailing just about. The only thing that is a bit of a problem is are the lights- the die a lot so you have to keep replacing them, especially the fog lights. The car is quite durable, I've been through a few dings, and no problems. During one snow storm, I ran straight slam into the highway railing very fast and very hard and just knew the car was done for b/c of the sound of the impact. Somehow the car keeps driving, I get home, check it out, only 2 scraches, not real damage. Awesome. Gas is good, I'm getting about 28-29 per gallon. Trunk space awesome.

Favorite Features

Trunk space- IKEA just had no idea I could fit EVERYTHING into my car *lol* Leather inside of course. Ummm, I do like the fog lights when they're working. I love the color of my car, it's a blue no other car really has and I get frequent comments on it(Colbolt Blue I think)-Reminds me of a baby BMW.

Suggested Improvements

Headlights- they die way too easy. Maintenance is expensive for the 60k, and the 90k. I even paid like $900 one pop for the 1st, and over $500 for the latter. Also, the breaks need more than usual maintenance. But it's not a problem, they always take care of it. I higly recoomend this car. Best yet.

OK value and practical car
By Doug

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Pros: easy on the eye; very roomy interior for smallish car with nice leather; nice suspension that handles bumps very well, gives impression of heavier and higher end car. Cons: Engine runs very hot, maybe inefficient design since gas mileage below average; sheet metal very soft (thin gauge?) and prone to dings and dents; very uncomfortable front seats for interstate driving; headlights burn out too often; sun roof causes annoying hums and air pressure waves when used. I would not recommend this car although it is average and of OK value for its price. My advice if you buy one is stay well clear of Hyundai dealer who scam you by calling every 3,ooo miles a "service" at $100+

Favorite Features

No question my favorite feature is the roomy interior. The drive quality is very good, and this car truly feels like a heavier car than it is. Doors shut solidly so that fit and finish feel like quality.

Suggested Improvements

Modern cars need an oil change every 3- 5000 miles for the first 30K miles; that's it. Avoid Hyundai's attempt to get service every 3K at $100-300+ per visit. Go for 2nd opinion and you will find 90% of service is unnecessary; actually that's a good idea for any repair you are unsure about!

Dangerous braking
By brad

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car does not seem to have two separate braking lines. We had a back brake line leak, that left us with no braks at all. This could have caused a accident if it had not happened on our drive way. I thought it was a required on all cars to have separate lines coming from the master cilider to the front and back,so that if you get a leak you don't looses all your braking. This car has only one brake line out. This would be a good reason not buy this car. We like the car other wise but did have trouble with fuel pump $800 worth and trans mission sensor $400. After market Parts are hard to get thus forcing to go to dealer and pay there prices.

Favorite Features

Hatch back and ride

Suggested Improvements

Safer Brakes head lightsthat don't burn out so often.

Great Car at a Better Price
By Chuck

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I couldn't be happier with my 2002 Hyundai Elantra GT. It's been trouble- free for more than 20,000 miles, it's reasonably fun to drive, and it gets great mileage, especially on the freeway. My wife complains that it is too small, but it is what it is, a compact, economical, comfortable car. Also, with the hatchback, it will haul significant amounts of cargo when necessary. I even fit a set of full- size soccer goals into the back on one occasion.

Favorite Features

Sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Less body roll on turns.

Best Car I've owned
By inlinewhine

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car Feburary 2003 with 7k miles on for $11,300 and still own it into 2012 and don't plan on selling it. It has 106k miles on it now and the only problems i've had with the car were the e-brake cable boot came off when driving in snowy conditions and the cable froze. Warenty covered it. My blower motor quit working on low speed which was also replaced under warrenty. My map sensor failed at 98k miles and the vehicle died. it started up 20 minutes later and was able to make it to a repair shop. I am hard on vehicles and I will admit I bought this vheichle for the warrenty. I drive it hard everyday and it keeps on running smooth averageing 33 mpg.

Favorite Features

Premium leather, blue gauges, versitile trunk space, the engine is peppy and returns fantastic mileage. I am so impressed with this vehicle and displeased with nearly everyother vehicle i've owned that I am extremely loyal to Hyundai.

Suggested Improvements

road noise.