2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
LIFE SAVER!
By ringman on 07/14/05 20:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in May, 2005 for my daughter (it only had 28000 miles). I own 2 mercedes' and a vette, but this car was quite comfortable and well built for the price --- definitely a great value. On July 4, a drunk driver collided with my daughter head-on on the freeway (est. closing speed of 140 mph!). My daughter survived with bruises and a back injury which she will recover from --- but, she may have been killed or paralyzed in another car (as was the passenger of the other car). As I see it, this car saved her life!!!

Great car for the money
By J. Glaser on 05/05/05 12:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In less than 3 years i have put 60,000 miles on this car. I had a few issues in the begining with superficial maintenance, but overall this has been a fantastic car for the money. It has reasonable performance, great cargo space, stylish, and as I already said, economically priced.

Reliable and roomy
By Astrid Klocke on 03/23/05 23:40 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased in 2002, put 38,500 miles on it since. Only complaint: brakes started to wobble at 15K, dealer said the rotors need to be resurfaced. Supposedly the extreme temperature differences in the AZ mountains warped the metal. Not covered by warranty! That stinks, especially since my brake pads are still over 1/2 good. Car is roomy for my huge dog with the seats folded. Tires and FWD perform well in snow at 7,000 feet. Love this car and will buy another Hyundai when this one is out of warranty - despite the brakes. I just live with the wobble. Had Chevy, Grand Marquis, Audi before. The GT is the most reliable by far.

HyundaI Elantra GT
By NMayer on 11/14/04 13:42 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I think it is a GREAT car. Would buy Hyundai again.

It's still just a cheap car.
By Big Muggle on 11/05/04 09:31 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has a few things going for it: leather interior, blue dash lights, fog lamps. It seems reasonably solidly built, and the engine is powerful enough for me. However, I think the essential cheapness of the car is evident in some of the mechanical and safety components. There have been 2 safety recalls, the catalytic converter had to be replaced (warranty) and the transmission had to be reprogrammed (warranty). The transmission is still clunky, the car vibrates under braking (cheap rotors), and also at highway speeds. The steering is totally numb (think '72 Olds), so the car is no fun to drive. Headlights awful. Windshield awful in rain. Hey, it was cheap. Next time, Mazda 3.

Still digging this car!
By Jasperblu on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my silver GT in Fall 2001 & have really enjoyed it for the past 3 years (current miles = 29K). I really like the body style (similar to a Saab 93) and for the price I got a LOT more car than I would have in a Honda, Toyota or VW. There are some ongoing & annoying “defects” (e.g. windshield washers are always getting clogged, gas tank door latch must be pulled several times to open, a lack of lighting in the rear seating area). But again, for the money I got a reliable, fun little car that I love and that I’m sure I'll continue to enjoy driving for many years to come.

Gas mileage
By Maldonado1050 on 08/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've been pretty disatisfied with the poor gas mileage I've been getting the longer I've owned this car. When it was new, I was getting about 28 mpg in the city, but that was still less than my average 30 mpg I'd been getting from my '94 Mazda Protege. Also, performance has suffered, too. Now it seems like the engine isn't breathing right. I've taken it in to my local dealer and they've been great! But my mpg continues to decline; I'm now getting barely 23 mpg/city, 29 mpg/highway. Also had some hesitation problems upon intial ignition; FYI, there is a fix for this at your dealer. Ask them to update the software on your car's computer.

Just...Blah
By Nickw23 on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '02 Hyundai Elantra GT new and currently have 27K miles on the car. This car should get better mileage for such a small 4 cylinder. I get about 26 MPG with my 5speed. My biggest issue with this car is the brakes. They are honestly unsafe and I don't trust them at all. I already had to have my brakes redone at 15,000 miles. Conveinetly past the 12,000 mile warranty(it is a DECEPTIVE warranty btw). I'm currently looking to purchase a Jeep Wrangler, I've had it with this cars brakes and subpar performance in the snow for a vehicle with FWD and traction control. The Michelins on the car are bottom of the barrel garbage. Resale is a joke.

Best I ever purchased
By cmazgo on 07/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased it for gas mileage--I got much more. Surprised to find that it was fun to drive, very reliable and well built. I drive 100 miles/day highway and am averaging 32-34 mpg (One tankful even reached 36.4!) I presently have 49,000 miles on it. The only problem was a burned up windshield wiper motor. Was replaced promptly. I have never had a better experience with any other car AND the service department from the dealer where I bought it. I never thought any dealer would care about quality after the sale- --I was wrong. If this is the new "HYUNDAI", I will be buying another!

My first Hyundai
By Merb on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned Hondas and Toyotas and never thought I would ever own a Hyundai (remember the Pony). But the quality is every bit as good. It will soon be 3 years old with very little in repairs required. Gas mileage is OK for a car with 140 HP, I get 40 Hwy and 30 City. It has a lot of extra features for the money.