Used 2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Dependable - low maintenance
By gr49548

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my 2002 Elantra new for 12K. Have driven it for nine years 94,000 with only regular maintenance. No problems other than frequent head light replacements. Rotors replaced twice now. Some warranty work. Timing belt replaced at 80K only because the manual said to replace it at 50/60K. Recent check engine light came on, however mechanic can not find any problems. Still running on original exhaust and rear brakes. Overall a good car for the money.

big mistake
By laallen

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought in 2005 with 40K miles. Clean and solid. Since then: new clutch, control arm failure (recall), brakes, 2 sets of tires, plugs and wires, O2 sensor and still needs catalytic converters, fuel vapor sensor and exhaust manifold. And still less than 100K miles. Body still solid and clean but cannot give it away since not inspectable. Now looking at the other H-car that really will last.

Great Little Car
By Lin

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Read the reviews and bought Hyundai for first time. This has been a great car. Reliable, sporty feel to it. Car has held up well for being inexpensive.

Engine has good pep and transmission smooth.

Cup holders could be a little bigger. Trunk tends to come down on you after you open it, not very secure.

Luv and miss my Hyundai
By twoods

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I got my elantra with 54,000 miles on it in 2007 and the only complaint I have is that I had to keep replacing the headlights. I loved my elantra so much. It was recently totaled in a head on collision and I walked away from the accident with just the pain associated with car accidents. My elantra did a good job protecting me. She took care of me like I took care of her. I will miss her. I never had any issues with my car. If I found a 2002 elantra with low miles on it for the age of the car I would definitely buy it.

I loved everything about her.

Have automatic door locks.

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan
By dhw

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2002 Hyundai Elantra for over 8 years. I have over 230,000 miles. Best little car I have owned. I liked it so much I purchased another Hyundai Elantra this past year. This will make 3 Hyundai's in the past 20 years. My first (excel) I passed the 200k mark and then donated it to charity. I enjoy the ride and have had very limited problems. I average 29-35 mpg on the highway and around 25 around town.

The 5 years bumper to bumper warranty and the road side assistants.

Enjoy this car. No improvements are needed.

• SUV