2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Not Satisfied
By ShaSha on 04/15/10 08:27 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my car with 7 miles on it, I now have 85k and for the first 4 years was happy with it. Lately, I had to replace the transmission, rotors & brakes, battery , lights, radiator, alternator, and a few other things. This with making all scheduled maintenance appointments. This car is only good when it's new, once you pass the four year mark, be ready to put some dough into it! I'm getting rid of mine, never to buy another one!

Keeper
By Chris on 03/11/10 15:32 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new and haven't had a single problem to date (150K). Dealer serviced for oil changes every 3k since I got a "free oil changes as long as you own the car" when I bought it. That deal stopped when the dealer changed ownership but the dealership was great all that time. Overall extremely pleased, more so when considering the price and class of the vehicle.

Worst Car Ever
By knaimoli on 03/03/10 15:43 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I am the current owner of the 2002 Hyundai Elantra that my mother purchased brand new in 2002. From the time it was purchased there have been numerous recalls and so many problems with this car. We have had both axles replaced recently, the car is constantly at the shop and it is terrible. Terrible to drive no pick up what so ever. There is nothing good about this car.

Worst Car EVER!!!!
By stogz on 01/18/10 18:27 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my daughter in-law on October 31, 2009. The worst mistake ever. The salesman said this was such a good car. Had not owned it a month when check engine light came on. It needed a new head gasket, water pump, timing chain, valve cover gasket. Since all this work it developed an oil leak when it is drove on a trip, must be a high pressure leak. Hyundai dealership does not have good enough mechanics to figure it out. I will never buy another Hyundai. I will always stick with a Toyota or Honda.

189K and counting.
By Mike on 10/17/09 22:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have a great history with Hyundia. I bought a new 2002 elantra and drove it for a year. Gave it back due to a bk, to have cheaper pymts. Then bought a 2002 Sonata, returned it two days later, due to hating the big floaty ride. Got another 2002 Elantra, formal rental, with 22k. 6 yrs later 189k and counting. My friends cannot believe that I still use this car for my daily 100+ miles commute. Service history: The first year, it had service to fix a throttle sensor, no cost. Next year the battery, no cost both under warranty. At 96k changed timing belt. The only bad thing is that you have to replace the headlights every 6 months. Oil changes every 10k, tires, one set of brakes. @30mpg. Sweet.

Great car - no fuss
By Manesh on 09/25/09 19:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good car. Only issues I had with the car was when the dealer worked on my car. Changed the timing belt on advice of the dealer but when I looked at the old belt it looked almost new. Replace front rotors on the wheel due to rusting ($100 each). Other than that I have no issues with the car. It made it through the crazy upstate New York winter like a chap. Like the go-cart feeling. For the person who did not like the steering feel, take it to a mechanic and tighten the steering column.

Lights burn out it's a bulb
By Hersocute on 09/10/09 07:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my car.It has the 100,000 mile warranty, I purchased the extended warranty have had no problems with it,The check engine light come on so your belts and things can be checked..Great car I would purchase another one...as far as the bulbs are concerned it's a tiny little bulb that doesn't last a life time for the person that griped about changing the bulb..

Good Solid Car
By Darin on 07/13/09 09:08 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car new and have had little to no problems with it. I have replaced the normal items like tires, belts, etc. I have owned 2 Hyundai's and both cars I have over 200,000 miles on. Will buy again

Loving my Elantra
By LAL on 06/14/09 15:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been awesome!. I got this used with 8k miles for less than $10K and now it has almost 100k miles. Never had a mechanical problem. Performance and pickup is the best in his class. I love the handling, the exterior design and interior space. Could have more interior features. I went to the dealer this weekend to have a full checkup (just in case I want to sell it) and they found nothing at all. So I'm thinking on keeping it for another 3 or 4 years, it depreciates too much (because the brand and not the quality), now is worth around 3K.

Nice Reliable Car
By Yogesh Dhingra on 04/08/09 13:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 2 years now, Bought at 74K miles, currently has 112K Miles on it.2 Repairs apart from regular oil changes 1. O2 Sensor(which is not abnormal) 2. Throttle positioning switch. Through it has performed extremely well , Gives a decent 30-32 MPG.