Used 2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 127 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

a nice little car
By charlie

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have 70 thousand miles on my elantra gt, replaced rear brakes at 50 thousand miles and I do a lot of stop and go Las Vegas driving in the heat, front brakes at 55. Not bad at all. 35 mpg on hwy at 68 mph, only warranty work-- new tie rod end at 49 thousand miles along with torn left cv boot, leaky sun roof and a leaking rear strut, still have the 3 other original struts in the car all work covered on the 50 thousand mile defective part warranty, the dealer told me about at no cost, 450 dollars for timing belt at 62 thousand miles, a 4 1/2 hour job not like the old days, I would never try to do it like I did my old Chevy prizm too many parts. Hyundai totally honored their warranty-

nice firm leather seats, nice sound system although the rear speakers could be better, the car rides on after market koenig 17s with falkin 215 17 45 the car looks great and doesnt miss a beat

little more hp maybe to 150 plus like the competition, better rear speakers, light bulbs and side marker bulbs that last longer

OK value and practical car
By Doug

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Pros: easy on the eye; very roomy interior for smallish car with nice leather; nice suspension that handles bumps very well, gives impression of heavier and higher end car. Cons: Engine runs very hot, maybe inefficient design since gas mileage below average; sheet metal very soft (thin gauge?) and prone to dings and dents; very uncomfortable front seats for interstate driving; headlights burn out too often; sun roof causes annoying hums and air pressure waves when used. I would not recommend this car although it is average and of OK value for its price. My advice if you buy one is stay well clear of Hyundai dealer who scam you by calling every 3,ooo miles a "service" at $100+

No question my favorite feature is the roomy interior. The drive quality is very good, and this car truly feels like a heavier car than it is. Doors shut solidly so that fit and finish feel like quality.

Modern cars need an oil change every 3- 5000 miles for the first 30K miles; that's it. Avoid Hyundai's attempt to get service every 3K at $100-300+ per visit. Go for 2nd opinion and you will find 90% of service is unnecessary; actually that's a good idea for any repair you are unsure about!

I love my Hyundai!
By Jake

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new and have driven 122,000 miles with NO major problems. The suspension, exhaust, and air conditioning are all holding up well and have never been serviced! The ONLY thing I think Hyundai could have done better is increase the time between replacements of the timing belt which is set for every 60k miles. Dealerships want to charge over $1100 for the service, but I can get it done at Midas for $450 - it's a pain because they usually want the car for the entire day. Even with that, the maintenance costs have been super low and all I do is regular oil changes. I hope to keep this car for another 80k at least!

All the standard equipment with the GT.

Increase the time between timing belt changes. 60k miles is too often!

Unsatisfied
By Unsatisfied

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I keep up with my cars maintenance as I should yet I have had multiple problems and my car is only at 60,000 miles. At 30 my power steering pump blew. At 40 my driver door sensor broke. At 50 my radiator and my thermostat blew literally. Despite the readings of my coolant level. It was perfect and all of a sudden smoke was coming from my hood. I do admit that the handling is good yet I had a Toyota and didn't have my first problem until I was at 120,000. Plus the problems I have had are pretty irregular, my mechanics at the dealership even were to admit. Plus Hyundai put a lock on the oil filter so that only they are able to change your oil filter. They say its to protect me but we know why.

None. Another problem is that if the road is bumpy no matter how careful I drive the cd player will start switching between radio and cd player of turns off and on and there doesn't need to be any cd in the cd player. That has been a problem since I have had the vehicle.

Hyundai needs to use higher quality products in their vehicles to prevent these problems. If they did just that I would not see any problems. Plus I cannot find any chiltons manual or any manual for my car. I would have to go into the dealership and pay $80!

Best car ever
By Angry Bald Man

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this as my first brand new vehicle, had plenty of used ones. This car was the bargain of the century. I got the loaded GT hatch in black and the ONLY complaint I have is that the paint wasn't the absolute best, but I never has any rust or paint loss. With plenty of pep I could pass at 60MPH with the AC on no problem. Tons and Tons of cargo space with the seats folded flat. I drove this car freaking everywhere in every climate at every altitude this country has to offer and had zero problems with performance or build quality. Anyone complaining about this vehicle either bought it used from someone who didn't care for it, or bought it high mileage. BEST.CAR.EVER.

Leather everywhere. Alloy wheels. Cargo and passenger space. A/C, engine, suspension tuning. Had 107k with only ONE issue (thermostat failed). This car was rock freaking solid.

AM reception sucks, but that's nit picking. Oh, and please add a feature that prevents jerks from totaling my car on a bridge so that I still have it...please? LOVE this car.