2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Won over
By RN on 10/04/08 15:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car at 99,000 miles to get out of a gas guzzling van. I was wary, but now I'm won over. I love this car. Good pep,good nimbleness, good gas mileage, good comfort. This small car even has leather seats and a sunroof! I looking for another Hyundai for my kid and stating to look for another used elantra in a more recent model year for me.

A great fun, reliable car!
By pirategirl on 07/21/07 18:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Elantra GT for 5 years and I absolutely love it. It's given me no problems, it's fun to drive and with the hatchback and fold down seats it has a ton of cargo space. I opted for the manual 5 speed, I really didn't think the automatic had enough pep in it. We're now in the market for an SUV as well and we're definately looking at Hyundai - can't beat the value.

Economical and Reliable
By drbr on 02/18/07 08:33 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new in 2002. We test drove Toyotas and Hondas and tried Hyundai on a whim. Price not a factor, this was still our favorite of the three (Civic, Corolla and Elantra). It doesn't have much of a personality and some people sniff at the name badge, but for our money we couldn't be happier. We've replaced the tires and brakes and have 57k on the vehicle now. We get 33-36mpg highway. People complain about resale but we plan to keep this little econobox until it won't run anymore. My highest compliment for the vehicle is that we bought it while I was still in professional school and now that I've graduated Iím still proud to drive it though now we could afford something more.

Great Car at a Better Price
By Chuck on 10/03/06 11:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I couldn't be happier with my 2002 Hyundai Elantra GT. It's been trouble- free for more than 20,000 miles, it's reasonably fun to drive, and it gets great mileage, especially on the freeway. My wife complains that it is too small, but it is what it is, a compact, economical, comfortable car. Also, with the hatchback, it will haul significant amounts of cargo when necessary. I even fit a set of full- size soccer goals into the back on one occasion.

90k+ miles later, I'm still rolling.
By Mr. Volente on 04/13/06 06:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't had any major problems w/this car at all. I did have a recall which they fixed no problem. Everything else has been smooth sailing just about. The only thing that is a bit of a problem is are the lights- the die a lot so you have to keep replacing them, especially the fog lights. The car is quite durable, I've been through a few dings, and no problems. During one snow storm, I ran straight slam into the highway railing very fast and very hard and just knew the car was done for b/c of the sound of the impact. Somehow the car keeps driving, I get home, check it out, only 2 scraches, not real damage. Awesome. Gas is good, I'm getting about 28-29 per gallon. Trunk space awesome.

great economy car
By Greg on 11/09/05 13:57 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no real problems with this car. I wanted a vehicle that could haul my upright bass and other instruments but also had decent gas mileage. The Elantra hatchback fit the bill. It has performed marvelously. It has many of the ammenities of luxury cars at an affordable price. I liked the car so much, that we bought a 2002 Hyundai Accent hatchback as a second vehicle. By the way, it too can fit my double bass, but the neck does extend between the two front seats!

Great value
By Hynundai Fan on 10/21/05 13:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as a compromise between practicality (no more station wagon) and fun. I found the car to have more safety features (ABS, side air bags, TCS) and luxury items (leather seating, remote control mirrors) than any other similar vehicle. Can be stuffed full of cargo for trips, pulls 1000 lb motorcycle/trailer, lots of pep (never felt sluggish except when passing at high speeds - fully loaded - which I shouldn't be doing anyway). No repairs in three years. Great warranty, roadside asst plan.

Excellent Car - I was Surprised!!!
By Nate on 10/06/05 19:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm at 35,000 miles on my Elantra GT and have loved every bit of the driving. Car warranty is excellent and valuable. The car has just been fantastic. I'm glad I did not buy a Honda or Toyota based on reputation alone. Rather, I did my research on Hyundai, found out that their mgmt changed in the late 1990s and that their new focus was on quality. That shows through with their new models, so if you are a Hyundai hater, then you are just misinformed. Take a test drive! These are fantastic cars and I have high standards!!! Hands down better value than civic or corolla, plus you get the warranty. Only downside is resale value. If you buy one, plan to drive it for a long time.

Nothing Special
By cubdust on 07/26/05 16:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Elantra GT used (45,000 miles) and have owned it for 4 months. Like every vehicle on the market, you truly get what you pay for. It's been very reliable in getting me from point A to point B, but other than that, it offers very little. I feel it's way too low to the ground and the pickup is as good as a lawnmower. I made the dealer replace the brakes because they were so loose, and on a few occasions it had trouble switching gears despite its automatic transmission. The stereo is weak and the "dinging" noise the car makes when the door is open is excruciating painful. Other than that, it has performed well and met my expectations, but I will upgrade within 6 months.

Overall Good Experience with this Car
By CCM on 07/19/05 17:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had a good experience with this car overall but not good enough to buy another Hyundai. On the plus side, you get a lot of features for the money; on the down side, you tend to get what you pay for. In 3 years, I never had any major problems (other than clutch going out after 12 months due to San Francisco hills), but had lots of minor problems: brake lights constantly going out, cruise control went out, CDs stuck in CD player, worn-out floor mats, paint dinged easily. That said, the car was mechanically sound and suited my needs well as a basic city car. Wouldn't buy another Hyundai, a) because I can afford something better now and b) because I can't get past its inherent cheapness.