2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Takes my beatings, and keeps on ticking!
By washadair on 01/25/14 01:44 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new, and never babied! It gets neglected and abused! So the fact that it's still going strong, with nearly 230,000 miles on it, and hasn't needed any major repairs, is AMAZING! Oil changes done when I get around to it, often after 10-15k miles. Never brought it in for scheduled maintenance, but did get a complete Tune-Up once or twice. Original clutch lasted for over 200k miles! The radiator and thermostat were replaced the year prior. A few things have worn out, or about to: Driver's door won't lock (bad relay switch) making key fobs useless; the motor for the driver's power window is slowly dying; can't change time on clock; high-beams turn on randomly when using the turn signal.

My best Car ever ... so far
By khailash on 12/29/11 23:05 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

After i graduated, im trying to find new car but couldnt find a good as elantra. very comfort, nice interior design, But after i my parent want to change to a MPV, i no need to take a long time to think, I just take elantra to become my 1st car. As owner, continue from my dad to me, from 2002 ,elantra serve us well.Almost 3 years with me, driving more than 160K KM, i maintained this car never give me a big problem. even my friend also compliment this car engine is smooth and never make noise. Hell yeah , now i will keep this car and wait the elantra 2011 coming to Malaysia. until now, Im die hard fan of Elantra.

Okay until the end
By tuco11 on 03/31/11 19:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I brought the car in 2007 with 32,000. Besides needing to take it in after a couple of months because of a bad transmission range switch, it was good just needed normal maintenance. I sold it a couple of days of ago because at 1116,000 miles the transmission started to slip which a any transmission work would cost more than the car was worth. Overall considering the age of the car and the fact that it was in the rust belt, it was pretty good.

Excellent Car
By bigkev7 on 03/10/11 19:48 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 1/2010, only had to replace regular maintenance items. Rotors, timing belt, etc. Its been a good reliable car. It had a good engine to get up to speed when you need it to. I do recommend the Hyundai Elantra.

Dependable - low maintenance
By gr49548 on 01/28/11 16:27 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my 2002 Elantra new for 12K. Have driven it for nine years 94,000 with only regular maintenance. No problems other than frequent head light replacements. Rotors replaced twice now. Some warranty work. Timing belt replaced at 80K only because the manual said to replace it at 50/60K. Recent check engine light came on, however mechanic can not find any problems. Still running on original exhaust and rear brakes. Overall a good car for the money.

big mistake
By laallen on 12/30/10 16:12 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought in 2005 with 40K miles. Clean and solid. Since then: new clutch, control arm failure (recall), brakes, 2 sets of tires, plugs and wires, O2 sensor and still needs catalytic converters, fuel vapor sensor and exhaust manifold. And still less than 100K miles. Body still solid and clean but cannot give it away since not inspectable. Now looking at the other H-car that really will last.

Great Little Car
By Lin on 09/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Read the reviews and bought Hyundai for first time. This has been a great car. Reliable, sporty feel to it. Car has held up well for being inexpensive.

Luv and miss my Hyundai
By twoods on 07/02/10 09:44 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I got my elantra with 54,000 miles on it in 2007 and the only complaint I have is that I had to keep replacing the headlights. I loved my elantra so much. It was recently totaled in a head on collision and I walked away from the accident with just the pain associated with car accidents. My elantra did a good job protecting me. She took care of me like I took care of her. I will miss her. I never had any issues with my car. If I found a 2002 elantra with low miles on it for the age of the car I would definitely buy it.

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan
By dhw on 06/03/10 02:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2002 Hyundai Elantra for over 8 years. I have over 230,000 miles. Best little car I have owned. I liked it so much I purchased another Hyundai Elantra this past year. This will make 3 Hyundai's in the past 20 years. My first (excel) I passed the 200k mark and then donated it to charity. I enjoy the ride and have had very limited problems. I average 29-35 mpg on the highway and around 25 around town.

I love this car
By kd1985 on 05/22/10 21:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2002. I don't know what the other people are talking about but I believe they've had 1 recall since then. I never had any problems with this car until I moved to a place that had crazy humidity and drastic weather change. Then I had a few problems here or there due to the drastic change, but that's it. I would absolutely buy another Elantra in a heartbeat.