2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Best Car I've owned
By inlinewhine on 12/29/11 19:28 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car Feburary 2003 with 7k miles on for $11,300 and still own it into 2012 and don't plan on selling it. It has 106k miles on it now and the only problems i've had with the car were the e-brake cable boot came off when driving in snowy conditions and the cable froze. Warenty covered it. My blower motor quit working on low speed which was also replaced under warrenty. My map sensor failed at 98k miles and the vehicle died. it started up 20 minutes later and was able to make it to a repair shop. I am hard on vehicles and I will admit I bought this vheichle for the warrenty. I drive it hard everyday and it keeps on running smooth averageing 33 mpg.

My best car ever!
By connie on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have had many cars over the years, and this is by far the best car I have ever had! I bought it when it was 2 years old and had about 20,000 miles on it. Today is the first time I have had to replace anything, back brakes, and it has 95,000 miles on it! Otherwise I have only had oil changes and new tires. I plan to drive it for 2 more years and then give it to my daughter when they turn 16 - it will be a great first car for her. When I get another car for me, I will definitely get another hyundai! (And the hatchbback is wonderful - it's like having a SUV)

Dangerous braking
By brad on 05/08/10 13:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car does not seem to have two separate braking lines. We had a back brake line leak, that left us with no braks at all. This could have caused a accident if it had not happened on our drive way. I thought it was a required on all cars to have separate lines coming from the master cilider to the front and back,so that if you get a leak you don't looses all your braking. This car has only one brake line out. This would be a good reason not buy this car. We like the car other wise but did have trouble with fuel pump $800 worth and trans mission sensor $400. After market Parts are hard to get thus forcing to go to dealer and pay there prices.

Not my first pick
By Kate on 03/18/10 17:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car was ok at first. Nothing fancy although it's always been terribly uncomfortable on your back. The leather seats are hard and have never softened up. Now at 75K miles all four struts need to be replaced and there is a weird humming from the rear end. It leaks water going through the car wash - always has. Some rust on the rear wheel well, thought it would have held up better than that, but maybe because of the salty winter roads. Have replaced all the brake pads and tires, to be expected. The clear coat is chipped up pretty bad on the hood from gravel? I waxed it (black) and every pit showed up white from the wax. Oh and the hatchback struts? wont keep the hatch open anymore-Annoying

Great 1st New Car
By GRC on 03/18/10 06:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I totally love this car. I drove from Mass to Florida and back to Mass with this car full of stuff. I have about 79,000 miles on it now. Still runs great. I had good luck with dealers in Mass and in Florida. I get regular oil changes and tires when needed. Brought this car brand new. Great 1st car for me. Do you see how much the 2010 Honda Accord Crosstour looks like the Elantra GT.

a nice little car
By charlie on 07/27/09 22:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have 70 thousand miles on my elantra gt, replaced rear brakes at 50 thousand miles and I do a lot of stop and go Las Vegas driving in the heat, front brakes at 55. Not bad at all. 35 mpg on hwy at 68 mph, only warranty work-- new tie rod end at 49 thousand miles along with torn left cv boot, leaky sun roof and a leaking rear strut, still have the 3 other original struts in the car all work covered on the 50 thousand mile defective part warranty, the dealer told me about at no cost, 450 dollars for timing belt at 62 thousand miles, a 4 1/2 hour job not like the old days, I would never try to do it like I did my old Chevy prizm too many parts. Hyundai totally honored their warranty-

OK value and practical car
By Doug on 05/07/09 08:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Pros: easy on the eye; very roomy interior for smallish car with nice leather; nice suspension that handles bumps very well, gives impression of heavier and higher end car. Cons: Engine runs very hot, maybe inefficient design since gas mileage below average; sheet metal very soft (thin gauge?) and prone to dings and dents; very uncomfortable front seats for interstate driving; headlights burn out too often; sun roof causes annoying hums and air pressure waves when used. I would not recommend this car although it is average and of OK value for its price. My advice if you buy one is stay well clear of Hyundai dealer who scam you by calling every 3,ooo miles a "service" at $100+

I love my Hyundai!
By Jake on 02/07/09 22:26 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new and have driven 122,000 miles with NO major problems. The suspension, exhaust, and air conditioning are all holding up well and have never been serviced! The ONLY thing I think Hyundai could have done better is increase the time between replacements of the timing belt which is set for every 60k miles. Dealerships want to charge over $1100 for the service, but I can get it done at Midas for $450 - it's a pain because they usually want the car for the entire day. Even with that, the maintenance costs have been super low and all I do is regular oil changes. I hope to keep this car for another 80k at least!

Unsatisfied
By Unsatisfied on 01/07/09 13:06 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I keep up with my cars maintenance as I should yet I have had multiple problems and my car is only at 60,000 miles. At 30 my power steering pump blew. At 40 my driver door sensor broke. At 50 my radiator and my thermostat blew literally. Despite the readings of my coolant level. It was perfect and all of a sudden smoke was coming from my hood. I do admit that the handling is good yet I had a Toyota and didn't have my first problem until I was at 120,000. Plus the problems I have had are pretty irregular, my mechanics at the dealership even were to admit. Plus Hyundai put a lock on the oil filter so that only they are able to change your oil filter. They say its to protect me but we know why.

Best car ever
By Angry Bald Man on 01/06/09 13:17 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this as my first brand new vehicle, had plenty of used ones. This car was the bargain of the century. I got the loaded GT hatch in black and the ONLY complaint I have is that the paint wasn't the absolute best, but I never has any rust or paint loss. With plenty of pep I could pass at 60MPH with the AC on no problem. Tons and Tons of cargo space with the seats folded flat. I drove this car freaking everywhere in every climate at every altitude this country has to offer and had zero problems with performance or build quality. Anyone complaining about this vehicle either bought it used from someone who didn't care for it, or bought it high mileage. BEST.CAR.EVER.