Used 2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Best Car I've owned
By inlinewhine

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car Feburary 2003 with 7k miles on for $11,300 and still own it into 2012 and don't plan on selling it. It has 106k miles on it now and the only problems i've had with the car were the e-brake cable boot came off when driving in snowy conditions and the cable froze. Warenty covered it. My blower motor quit working on low speed which was also replaced under warrenty. My map sensor failed at 98k miles and the vehicle died. it started up 20 minutes later and was able to make it to a repair shop. I am hard on vehicles and I will admit I bought this vheichle for the warrenty. I drive it hard everyday and it keeps on running smooth averageing 33 mpg.

Favorite Features

Premium leather, blue gauges, versitile trunk space, the engine is peppy and returns fantastic mileage. I am so impressed with this vehicle and displeased with nearly everyother vehicle i've owned that I am extremely loyal to Hyundai.

Suggested Improvements

road noise.

My best car ever!
By connie

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have had many cars over the years, and this is by far the best car I have ever had! I bought it when it was 2 years old and had about 20,000 miles on it. Today is the first time I have had to replace anything, back brakes, and it has 95,000 miles on it! Otherwise I have only had oil changes and new tires. I plan to drive it for 2 more years and then give it to my daughter when they turn 16 - it will be a great first car for her. When I get another car for me, I will definitely get another hyundai! (And the hatchbback is wonderful - it's like having a SUV)

Dangerous braking
By brad

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car does not seem to have two separate braking lines. We had a back brake line leak, that left us with no braks at all. This could have caused a accident if it had not happened on our drive way. I thought it was a required on all cars to have separate lines coming from the master cilider to the front and back,so that if you get a leak you don't looses all your braking. This car has only one brake line out. This would be a good reason not buy this car. We like the car other wise but did have trouble with fuel pump $800 worth and trans mission sensor $400. After market Parts are hard to get thus forcing to go to dealer and pay there prices.

Favorite Features

Hatch back and ride

Suggested Improvements

Safer Brakes head lightsthat don't burn out so often.

Not my first pick
By Kate

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car was ok at first. Nothing fancy although it's always been terribly uncomfortable on your back. The leather seats are hard and have never softened up. Now at 75K miles all four struts need to be replaced and there is a weird humming from the rear end. It leaks water going through the car wash - always has. Some rust on the rear wheel well, thought it would have held up better than that, but maybe because of the salty winter roads. Have replaced all the brake pads and tires, to be expected. The clear coat is chipped up pretty bad on the hood from gravel? I waxed it (black) and every pit showed up white from the wax. Oh and the hatchback struts? wont keep the hatch open anymore-Annoying

Favorite Features

Can fit just about anything in this hatchback. Once hauled a deep freezer in without a problem.

Suggested Improvements

Too many to mention.

Great 1st New Car
By GRC

2002 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I totally love this car. I drove from Mass to Florida and back to Mass with this car full of stuff. I have about 79,000 miles on it now. Still runs great. I had good luck with dealers in Mass and in Florida. I get regular oil changes and tires when needed. Brought this car brand new. Great 1st car for me. Do you see how much the 2010 Honda Accord Crosstour looks like the Elantra GT.

Favorite Features

Hatchback.. you can fit so much stuff into the back of this car.. it works just like a small SUV.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power, and a USB port for Ipods.