Used 2002 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Takes my beatings, and keeps on ticking!
By washadair

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new, and never babied! It gets neglected and abused! So the fact that it's still going strong, with nearly 230,000 miles on it, and hasn't needed any major repairs, is AMAZING! Oil changes done when I get around to it, often after 10-15k miles. Never brought it in for scheduled maintenance, but did get a complete Tune-Up once or twice. Original clutch lasted for over 200k miles! The radiator and thermostat were replaced the year prior. A few things have worn out, or about to: Driver's door won't lock (bad relay switch) making key fobs useless; the motor for the driver's power window is slowly dying; can't change time on clock; high-beams turn on randomly when using the turn signal.

Favorite Features

Reliability & durability!! I'm a believer! Currently doing my research, trying to find the next perfect car/SUV for me & my family. After reading so many horror story reviews, I'm starting to think Hyundai is the only affordable auto maker tough enough to handle my abusive treatment, and the only one I will buy from!

Worst Car Ever
By knaimoli

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I am the current owner of the 2002 Hyundai Elantra that my mother purchased brand new in 2002. From the time it was purchased there have been numerous recalls and so many problems with this car. We have had both axles replaced recently, the car is constantly at the shop and it is terrible. Terrible to drive no pick up what so ever. There is nothing good about this car.

JUNK
By cafelady

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Look at something else before you buy this lemon; bought new and from the get go,brakes were awful.Countless times to the dealer for brakes and 2 summers in a row for the air. I finally got tired of the vibrating steering wheel on the hwy,after many times at my mechanic's shop for new brakes and balancing. Bought a Toyota,trade in was awful.I stood firm and got the mimimum on what Edmunds says here. I will NEVER buy another one.

Favorite Features

Maybe the storage compartments.The people at the Hyundai shop were great. But you can't fix something that isn't right in the first place

Suggested Improvements

Don't sell them anymore.Not safe.

big mistake
By laallen

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought in 2005 with 40K miles. Clean and solid. Since then: new clutch, control arm failure (recall), brakes, 2 sets of tires, plugs and wires, O2 sensor and still needs catalytic converters, fuel vapor sensor and exhaust manifold. And still less than 100K miles. Body still solid and clean but cannot give it away since not inspectable. Now looking at the other H-car that really will last.

i'd rather have a yugo.
By bgbstrd

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

No fun, no power, and phantom electrical issues. Been ok reliability wise, but is no fun. Steers like a Mack truck, rides like a Jeep with mud tires, and even after you sacrifice all the enjoyment of driving you only get about 24 miles a gallon. Thats not good enough for me. If it got 30 or better, then ok.

Favorite Features

4 tires that go fairly in the same direction.

Suggested Improvements

Remove the oil cap.