Used 2002 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Good if there's no rust
By pmak1

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had this car only a short time due to an unfortunate accident but put 15000km in that short time and the car was very reliable only problems were the the radio/cd player died and the rust ate through the left lower control arm. So if your looking at getting one just look for rust around the suspension.

Takes my beatings, and keeps on ticking!
By washadair

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new, and never babied! It gets neglected and abused! So the fact that it's still going strong, with nearly 230,000 miles on it, and hasn't needed any major repairs, is AMAZING! Oil changes done when I get around to it, often after 10-15k miles. Never brought it in for scheduled maintenance, but did get a complete Tune-Up once or twice. Original clutch lasted for over 200k miles! The radiator and thermostat were replaced the year prior. A few things have worn out, or about to: Driver's door won't lock (bad relay switch) making key fobs useless; the motor for the driver's power window is slowly dying; can't change time on clock; high-beams turn on randomly when using the turn signal.

Reliability & durability!! I'm a believer! Currently doing my research, trying to find the next perfect car/SUV for me & my family. After reading so many horror story reviews, I'm starting to think Hyundai is the only affordable auto maker tough enough to handle my abusive treatment, and the only one I will buy from!

My best Car ever ... so far
By khailash

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

After i graduated, im trying to find new car but couldnt find a good as elantra. very comfort, nice interior design, But after i my parent want to change to a MPV, i no need to take a long time to think, I just take elantra to become my 1st car. As owner, continue from my dad to me, from 2002 ,elantra serve us well.Almost 3 years with me, driving more than 160K KM, i maintained this car never give me a big problem. even my friend also compliment this car engine is smooth and never make noise. Hell yeah , now i will keep this car and wait the elantra 2011 coming to Malaysia. until now, Im die hard fan of Elantra.

nice interior and smooth engine. never make a noise. like it so much

Best Car I've owned
By inlinewhine

2002 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car Feburary 2003 with 7k miles on for $11,300 and still own it into 2012 and don't plan on selling it. It has 106k miles on it now and the only problems i've had with the car were the e-brake cable boot came off when driving in snowy conditions and the cable froze. Warenty covered it. My blower motor quit working on low speed which was also replaced under warrenty. My map sensor failed at 98k miles and the vehicle died. it started up 20 minutes later and was able to make it to a repair shop. I am hard on vehicles and I will admit I bought this vheichle for the warrenty. I drive it hard everyday and it keeps on running smooth averageing 33 mpg.

Premium leather, blue gauges, versitile trunk space, the engine is peppy and returns fantastic mileage. I am so impressed with this vehicle and displeased with nearly everyother vehicle i've owned that I am extremely loyal to Hyundai.

road noise.

Okay until the end
By tuco11

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I brought the car in 2007 with 32,000. Besides needing to take it in after a couple of months because of a bad transmission range switch, it was good just needed normal maintenance. I sold it a couple of days of ago because at 1116,000 miles the transmission started to slip which a any transmission work would cost more than the car was worth. Overall considering the age of the car and the fact that it was in the rust belt, it was pretty good.

- Good fuel economy +35mpg - Comfortable seats - Easy to do basic maintenance on

- A little bit more robust transmission (others I know have had similar issues with the automatics) - CD player that can shuffle - Longer lasting headlights