2002 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Takes my beatings, and keeps on ticking!
By washadair on 01/25/14 01:44 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new, and never babied! It gets neglected and abused! So the fact that it's still going strong, with nearly 230,000 miles on it, and hasn't needed any major repairs, is AMAZING! Oil changes done when I get around to it, often after 10-15k miles. Never brought it in for scheduled maintenance, but did get a complete Tune-Up once or twice. Original clutch lasted for over 200k miles! The radiator and thermostat were replaced the year prior. A few things have worn out, or about to: Driver's door won't lock (bad relay switch) making key fobs useless; the motor for the driver's power window is slowly dying; can't change time on clock; high-beams turn on randomly when using the turn signal.

My best Car ever ... so far
By khailash on 12/29/11 23:05 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

After i graduated, im trying to find new car but couldnt find a good as elantra. very comfort, nice interior design, But after i my parent want to change to a MPV, i no need to take a long time to think, I just take elantra to become my 1st car. As owner, continue from my dad to me, from 2002 ,elantra serve us well.Almost 3 years with me, driving more than 160K KM, i maintained this car never give me a big problem. even my friend also compliment this car engine is smooth and never make noise. Hell yeah , now i will keep this car and wait the elantra 2011 coming to Malaysia. until now, Im die hard fan of Elantra.

Best Car I've owned
By inlinewhine on 12/29/11 19:28 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car Feburary 2003 with 7k miles on for $11,300 and still own it into 2012 and don't plan on selling it. It has 106k miles on it now and the only problems i've had with the car were the e-brake cable boot came off when driving in snowy conditions and the cable froze. Warenty covered it. My blower motor quit working on low speed which was also replaced under warrenty. My map sensor failed at 98k miles and the vehicle died. it started up 20 minutes later and was able to make it to a repair shop. I am hard on vehicles and I will admit I bought this vheichle for the warrenty. I drive it hard everyday and it keeps on running smooth averageing 33 mpg.

Okay until the end
By tuco11 on 03/31/11 19:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I brought the car in 2007 with 32,000. Besides needing to take it in after a couple of months because of a bad transmission range switch, it was good just needed normal maintenance. I sold it a couple of days of ago because at 1116,000 miles the transmission started to slip which a any transmission work would cost more than the car was worth. Overall considering the age of the car and the fact that it was in the rust belt, it was pretty good.

Excellent Car
By bigkev7 on 03/10/11 19:48 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 1/2010, only had to replace regular maintenance items. Rotors, timing belt, etc. Its been a good reliable car. It had a good engine to get up to speed when you need it to. I do recommend the Hyundai Elantra.

Dependable - low maintenance
By gr49548 on 01/28/11 16:27 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my 2002 Elantra new for 12K. Have driven it for nine years 94,000 with only regular maintenance. No problems other than frequent head light replacements. Rotors replaced twice now. Some warranty work. Timing belt replaced at 80K only because the manual said to replace it at 50/60K. Recent check engine light came on, however mechanic can not find any problems. Still running on original exhaust and rear brakes. Overall a good car for the money.

big mistake
By laallen on 12/30/10 16:12 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought in 2005 with 40K miles. Clean and solid. Since then: new clutch, control arm failure (recall), brakes, 2 sets of tires, plugs and wires, O2 sensor and still needs catalytic converters, fuel vapor sensor and exhaust manifold. And still less than 100K miles. Body still solid and clean but cannot give it away since not inspectable. Now looking at the other H-car that really will last.

My best car ever!
By connie on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have had many cars over the years, and this is by far the best car I have ever had! I bought it when it was 2 years old and had about 20,000 miles on it. Today is the first time I have had to replace anything, back brakes, and it has 95,000 miles on it! Otherwise I have only had oil changes and new tires. I plan to drive it for 2 more years and then give it to my daughter when they turn 16 - it will be a great first car for her. When I get another car for me, I will definitely get another hyundai! (And the hatchbback is wonderful - it's like having a SUV)

Great Little Car
By Lin on 09/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Read the reviews and bought Hyundai for first time. This has been a great car. Reliable, sporty feel to it. Car has held up well for being inexpensive.

Luv and miss my Hyundai
By twoods on 07/02/10 09:44 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I got my elantra with 54,000 miles on it in 2007 and the only complaint I have is that I had to keep replacing the headlights. I loved my elantra so much. It was recently totaled in a head on collision and I walked away from the accident with just the pain associated with car accidents. My elantra did a good job protecting me. She took care of me like I took care of her. I will miss her. I never had any issues with my car. If I found a 2002 elantra with low miles on it for the age of the car I would definitely buy it.