2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews 5

2001 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

2001 Elantra Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Unbreakable
By Chicago Dom

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car for my daily commute, inexpensive and good fuel economy. Not a single problem with this car, absolutely nothing has gone wrong with it. Have changed the oil only 7 times during 205k miles and still get the same fuel economy as new. Still have yet to change the clutch!!!!!! I didn't think they made cars this solid at this price point. First Hyundai I've purchased but it won't be the last. For the price, you'd have to be insane to pass on this car, it's built like a tank. I will be a Hyundai supporter for life.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine for this class; solid shifter feel, not rubbery; excellent build quality

Suggested Improvements

Sportier suspension is the only thing I would ask for.

Not a bad little car...
By John

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

... and, much to my surprise, they backed the warranty to the max! AND the RoadsideAssistance was very, very well done. With these warranties, I have recommended these cars to friends and family. Great little cars, practical as all hell and solidly reliable.

Favorite Features

For a ten grand car, this thing is loaded. Get the GLS trim. You used to have tp spend 16,000 - 19,000 to get this many options.

Suggested Improvements

Stop the price creep.. I want to trade mine in and get a 2006, but they're pushing 14 grand. But the warranty makes it still an attractive option...

WAY TO MUCH BANG FOR THE BUCK
By chris

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car because of the rising gas prices. I could not afford to drive my Chevy Silverado. I was nervous, because of Hyundai's poor quality in the past. I believe now this now probably one of the best investments ever. I now have over 70000k on this WITH NO PROBLEMS EVER, NOT EVEN A RATTLE! I can't wait until they make pickup-I'll be the first in- line.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the engine: extremely responsive, refined and super quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Place drinks holder back farther, I always hit my drink when shifting gears.

The WORST Hyundai I've ever had!
By Melissa

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Prior to the Hyundai Elantra, I had the Accent, and before that, the Excel. I will never buy another Hyundai again. I bought the Elantra with 10,000 miles on it. At 26,000 miles I had to replace the clutch. I put 138,000 miles on the Excel and nearly 80,000 on the Accent and never had clutch problems. The engine was replaced at 51,000 miles. Fortunately, this was handled by the warranty. Then, at 64,000 miles the clutch went out again. Why? Because HYUNDAI installed the wrong size, but it was MY fault. Another $1400 to the dealership. I get it back and the drive home the right front hub goes and another $300 later, my car is back home. I'm lucky to get 25mpg...

Favorite Features

The sunglasses holder, the driver's seat

Suggested Improvements

THE CLUTCH!!!

Nice Car
By Steve

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I traded my 1997 Ford Crown Victoria Police Car in on a an Elantra because of the gas milage. I was impressed by my moms new Tucson and thought I would give Hyundai a try. I've put a little over 5200 miles on it since I've bought and have a few little weird problems but nothing big. I had a headlight burn out already, when ahead and put a nice seat of head lights in it. I did belts and front rotors and thats it. There is werid noise in the front end like something is grinding that I only hear at about 75 mph on a windy day. Other then that it has been a pretty good. I'm getting ready to take it on a 1000 mile trip this weekend. I do mixed driving and I've been running right around 27.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, Fun to Drive Factor, Good Looks, Interior Quality is like a Toyota, no plasitc in the interior like GM and Ford, Rides good on the highway

Suggested Improvements

I'm not a fan of the seats, they can be little uncomfortable sometimes, there is a vibration in the steering on some roads, not all. I've had the tire balances to solve the problem and nothing. Screeching Noise at during head wind, head lights buring out.

140,000 miles later
By alt

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the Elantra with 11,000 miles on it as a used car after being used by a rental company. We have put 140,000 miles on it and it is still working well. The engine still has plenty of pep, it still will reach 80 mpn without a sweat (RPM's about 2600), the engine still purs, and the ride is as good if not better when we first bought it. It has been a very good car for us. The only complaint I have about the car is the need to change the transmission fluid out once every 30,000 miles and having to use the "Hyundai" fluid. Outside of that one concern, this car has given us 4 1/2 years of great service.

Favorite Features

Dead Peddle is in the proper location and cruise control works great

Suggested Improvements

Work on lengthening the miles between transmission fluid changes.

Fun-to-Drive, but low on refinement
By KB

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got a used '01 Elantra which had served me well. Apart from regular maintenance, never had any major issues. Performance wise 0-60 in 8.4 (manual) and ~140 hp (exaggerated or otherwise), this car has got it for traffic light takeoffs & freeway merging. Although gearshift quality is a tad vague at times. Engine is slightly on the rougher side at high revs but has more than enough guts to take on compact crowd. Fuel economy is disappointing as well. In short, its a winner if low cost, reliability, driveablity (MT) is important & fuel economy, interior trim quality & image are not that important

Favorite Features

Visibility, excellent ergonomics, ride, 0-60 mph time, freeway ride with no winds, maneuverability and low cost of maintenance

Suggested Improvements

Interior trim on pre-2004 models ('01 interior is a sea of beige! come on), better (tacky) plastics, Better seat upholstery (beige again).

Live and Learn
By txgal76

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I thought it was a good purchase for the money. They Hyundai has treated me better than my last car (Saturn) but the costs in maintenance and repairs has become too much. I will not purchase a Hyundai again. Too many issues with this car. Spend the extra money and get a higher end vehicle.

105K and running
By mostafaelgamal

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

bought in 2001 had minor problems but warranty covered it especially the transmission was leaking @ 95K, and the dealer fixed the problem at no charge and made all the recalls on the car too. didn't do any other repair except the regular maintenance for 4 years now. Had all the luxury I want except navigation at a low price

Favorite Features

interior design

Your Money's Worth PLUS
By RJones

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a reliable, fuel-efficient, 4- dr sedan with a sporty look, but could not afford a Honda. I found the that the Elantra had comparable features but priced much lower. I bought the Elantra with 64K miles (& an extended warranty - just in case) and I don't regret my decision, it runs like like a dream. So far its been an excellent car - no work necessary. Its roomy enough for my 6'2 boyfriend to drive comfortably. I get about 26 mpg (highway & city mix.) It handles metropolitan rush hour traffic very well and it looks good doing it. I would definitely consider another Hyundai when I am looking for my next car.

Favorite Features

the smooth ride (unless you need to accelerate quickly with the air cond. on), road handling, the stereo system, & the body styling

Suggested Improvements

1. brakes- still working properly, but they got softer after the 1st month 2. stronger paneling- my boyfriend leaned on the car and his body weight put a dent in the rt front fender- the idea of an accident makes me nervous now 3. extending the factory warranty for 2nd owners - up to 5yr or 100K