2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Not a bad little car...
By John on 05/05/06 17:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

... and, much to my surprise, they backed the warranty to the max! AND the RoadsideAssistance was very, very well done. With these warranties, I have recommended these cars to friends and family. Great little cars, practical as all hell and solidly reliable.

WAY TO MUCH BANG FOR THE BUCK
By chris on 04/21/06 00:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car because of the rising gas prices. I could not afford to drive my Chevy Silverado. I was nervous, because of Hyundai's poor quality in the past. I believe now this now probably one of the best investments ever. I now have over 70000k on this WITH NO PROBLEMS EVER, NOT EVEN A RATTLE! I can't wait until they make pickup-I'll be the first in- line.

The WORST Hyundai I've ever had!
By Melissa on 04/15/06 11:08 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Prior to the Hyundai Elantra, I had the Accent, and before that, the Excel. I will never buy another Hyundai again. I bought the Elantra with 10,000 miles on it. At 26,000 miles I had to replace the clutch. I put 138,000 miles on the Excel and nearly 80,000 on the Accent and never had clutch problems. The engine was replaced at 51,000 miles. Fortunately, this was handled by the warranty. Then, at 64,000 miles the clutch went out again. Why? Because HYUNDAI installed the wrong size, but it was MY fault. Another $1400 to the dealership. I get it back and the drive home the right front hub goes and another $300 later, my car is back home. I'm lucky to get 25mpg...

Nice Car
By Steve on 04/12/06 06:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I traded my 1997 Ford Crown Victoria Police Car in on a an Elantra because of the gas milage. I was impressed by my moms new Tucson and thought I would give Hyundai a try. I've put a little over 5200 miles on it since I've bought and have a few little weird problems but nothing big. I had a headlight burn out already, when ahead and put a nice seat of head lights in it. I did belts and front rotors and thats it. There is werid noise in the front end like something is grinding that I only hear at about 75 mph on a windy day. Other then that it has been a pretty good. I'm getting ready to take it on a 1000 mile trip this weekend. I do mixed driving and I've been running right around 27.

140,000 miles later
By alt on 03/28/06 08:31 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the Elantra with 11,000 miles on it as a used car after being used by a rental company. We have put 140,000 miles on it and it is still working well. The engine still has plenty of pep, it still will reach 80 mpn without a sweat (RPM's about 2600), the engine still purs, and the ride is as good if not better when we first bought it. It has been a very good car for us. The only complaint I have about the car is the need to change the transmission fluid out once every 30,000 miles and having to use the "Hyundai" fluid. Outside of that one concern, this car has given us 4 1/2 years of great service.

Fun-to-Drive, but low on refinement
By KB on 02/07/06 12:02 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got a used '01 Elantra which had served me well. Apart from regular maintenance, never had any major issues. Performance wise 0-60 in 8.4 (manual) and ~140 hp (exaggerated or otherwise), this car has got it for traffic light takeoffs & freeway merging. Although gearshift quality is a tad vague at times. Engine is slightly on the rougher side at high revs but has more than enough guts to take on compact crowd. Fuel economy is disappointing as well. In short, its a winner if low cost, reliability, driveablity (MT) is important & fuel economy, interior trim quality & image are not that important

Live and Learn
By txgal76 on 12/19/05 15:21 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I thought it was a good purchase for the money. They Hyundai has treated me better than my last car (Saturn) but the costs in maintenance and repairs has become too much. I will not purchase a Hyundai again. Too many issues with this car. Spend the extra money and get a higher end vehicle.

105K and running
By mostafaelgamal on 09/12/05 01:15 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

bought in 2001 had minor problems but warranty covered it especially the transmission was leaking @ 95K, and the dealer fixed the problem at no charge and made all the recalls on the car too. didn't do any other repair except the regular maintenance for 4 years now. Had all the luxury I want except navigation at a low price

Your Money's Worth PLUS
By RJones on 09/01/05 10:26 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a reliable, fuel-efficient, 4- dr sedan with a sporty look, but could not afford a Honda. I found the that the Elantra had comparable features but priced much lower. I bought the Elantra with 64K miles (& an extended warranty - just in case) and I don't regret my decision, it runs like like a dream. So far its been an excellent car - no work necessary. Its roomy enough for my 6'2 boyfriend to drive comfortably. I get about 26 mpg (highway & city mix.) It handles metropolitan rush hour traffic very well and it looks good doing it. I would definitely consider another Hyundai when I am looking for my next car.

cheap car, good warranty but need it
By hyundai owner on 08/24/05 15:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car brand new. Only a couple of minor problems in the first 6 months. The sun roof quit working. After that major problems. We blow all the lights every 6 months. The car has had 2 new computers, a couple of wiring harnesses, sunroof completely inop and will not replace it, mulitple plugs, wires, and coils. Spent 3 months straight in the dealership 2 years ago with no loaner. It is a nice car and has been really well maintain but has severe electrical problems no seems to be able to figure out. It completely dies and won't run or runs and dies and an hour later will start just fine then die again. Dealt with for 3 years. Only compensation 100,000 mile full warranty.