2001 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
worth every penny
By Ela on 07/17/07 11:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

From the day I drove it off the lot I've never regretted owning my elantra, milkruns, cross country jaunts, piled high with friends into town; it's simple interior makes it easy to clean and pack full of stuff. The fold down back seats have been a huge convenience as I've moved big pieces. The engine is great for the size of the vehicle, and once I replaced the factory-standard tire I found the ride to be really enjoyable! Fuel efficient, especially for a car form 2001, it's had a two mechanical issues in five years, but the warantee is the real deal, I didn't pay a penny.

Good auto for the money
By Reg on 07/16/07 20:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Was a great car to drive. Gas mileage could be better.Trunk lid did not open high enough and would always hit my head on the latch. Another weak point were the front disk brakes. Had to turn rotors 3 times in 60000 miles. Had to replace rotors and calipers. Had to replace the radio twice and needed relacing again when I sold the car at 73000 miles.

Dangerous for tall people
By whatever on 06/05/07 20:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car and recently got an awesome deal on it. But I have to sit rather akward to keep my head from hitting the ceileing (im 6'3"). It has a sun roof which is nice though thats where my head is. Problem is if I get hit at the passenger door im very likely to break my neck, even at slower speeds.

Warranty to trap you into a low quality
By misti on 05/31/07 16:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the worst luck with hyundai. My elantra had the gas pedal stuck and at 3000 rpms on the freeway as i was trying to change from one to another. The warranty is NOT worth the car as I was in the dealership EVERY month!! The input speed sensor, output speed sensor, warning lights, check engine light-hose leaks, ALL on seperate occasions. Then the dealership(Anaheim) told me nothing was wrong with my ac but it has a hideous sound when i turn it to four. they waited until after my warranty expired to tell me NEVER again will I buy from them. The warranty is not worth the endless trips to the dealership (with no loaner either).

Buyer beware
By Lee on 05/15/07 07:22 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have never had a car with so many problems in my life. The headlights have gone out simultaneously 6 TIMES, which the dealer claims is a coincidence. The car has been at the dealer and mechanic more than my husbands 1991 Ford Escort. As soon as one thing is fixed, another goes wrong, many things over and over again (like the air bag for instance). I have a friend who bought the same car at the same time and she is having some of the same problems.

My 2001 Hyundai Elantra GT
By Rebecca on 03/26/07 11:03 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car since 2002, with 4000 miles on it, this car has been reliable and fun to drive, great for a 17 year old or an adult, and comes fully loaded I would definatly reccomend this car to others that are looking, and GREAT on gas, as I drive all day for my business.

Will never buy another Hyundai!
By Caleb on 02/24/07 10:10 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but problems with my vehicle from the start!!! I've had my car stall out in numerous places. Have had an oxygen sensor replaced, two (2) wiring harnesses caught fire! I've gone through 18 halogen head lamps, my car viciously started shaking at ~ 30K miles, and the dealers didn't want to do anything about it. Also, the Hyundai corporate office will not be of any assistance to you. There "consumer affairs" department is a waste of money!

Great Little Car!
By Jay on 02/19/07 14:46 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have enjoyed this car greatly. It is much better than the Accord I used to have. I drive mostly city and consistently average around 28 mpg which is not bad. One of the best things about this car, though, is its performance (especially with a manual). This car actually has torque (unlike my previous vehicle). This makes for a peppy car (that gets better with a few modifications). Overall a great value.

Very User Friendly!
By Nick W on 02/16/07 20:00 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car almost brand new. It had only 6,000 miles when I got it in 2001. I have driven this car all over the USA, putting close 90,000 in the 5yrs I have owned it. I have never had mechanical problems out of this car. I can say it has been good to me. The car is very very reliable and the gas mileage is great also. The only major downside is the resale value. You better never try to sell it coz you will be SHOCKED!! The car depreciates at an alarming rate.

vics review
By Vic on 10/11/06 17:19 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far I am impressed with the looks and comfort of the Elantra. I got 35.9 mpg on a distance drive which is below our '01 Civic(41mpg) and '00 Saturn SL2 5-spd(40 mpg) and about equal to an 01 Sentra 2.0 L. It feels more like a Camry in quietness except for road noise. The handling seems very similar to the Camry---not sporty but good. Will it be reliable4---time will tell!