Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 127 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great Value
By laura

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 Elantra gently used in 2002, because it appeared to be the best value. And it has been. I've not had to pay for any major repairs in the 7 years and 100,000 miles I've owned. Def. the lowest cost to own car I've ever had. The car is not sexy, so I've been a bit bored with it ( since I bought it), but will keep driving until it starts needing major repairs.

Very good value equation. low price+ excellent reliability+ plenty of standard features= very easy car to own.

Personality?? This car and the whole hyundai line are totally lacking in the personality department. I love the reliability of the car, but nothing else is passion inspiring.

good for the pirce
By Z

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this 2001 Elantra GLS 5-speed back in 2001. I'm in the market for a new car now, after about 8 years and 130,000. The car still runs fine, but little things like the power windows, catalytic converter, etc. have given me reason to buy another car (possibly another Hyundai). The car was 100% reliable through out most of its life so far. I have driven it through all kinds of weather conditions, and even drove it cross-country. Despite two low-impact collisions, only cosmetic damage was done; the car drove on as if though nothing happened. I still have the original clutch on it, and it works fine! I think its time to retire this one; it served its purpose, and served it well.

Solid reliability; the car started wherever/whenever I was. Trunk space came in handy. It was relatively cheap to maintain. I never had any mechanical problems with the engine or transmission.

Hyundai dealerships and their "warranty honor" are hit or miss. The interior material didn't "breathe" during humid weather. The steering never felt properly adjusted despite tire balancing, alignment, etc.

just bought it we will see
By poetry

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this car today, its a beauty. I love the interior design the Windows are smoked so I dont have to get them tinted. The previous owner put in custom sound and custom rims and it drives like a dream. I bought the car with 4 recalls on it and the dealership already advised me they will fix them with no cost and provide a rental. I only gave it "8" because I've only owned it for 7 hours now.

the overall look and handling

no to suggest so far

Control arm?? Not
By dogmollie

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

100,000.00 miles nothing covered, car has 74,000 control arm broke??? Not covered, pulled out transmission, not covered. Don't buy these cars the warranty is a joke, hey they let you talk to a consumer advocate, huh right they consume your money. This was my second Hyundai first one lasted 225,000 miles and was running well when I sold it. This is my last Hyundai and I tell everyone I talk to to avoid these cars now. They changed something, and no longer need loyal consumers. Stay away from these cars.

Radio

Keep your word and warranty promises

Good Value
By laura

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 01 Elantra in early 2002. To date, I've had no significant repairs, and have sunk very little money into the car. It's not the fastest, greenest, most luxurious, or best performing car on the block. But it is very reliable, and has just enough comfort, safety, mpg, and performance to make it passable. If you're looking for a great value, and reliability in a commuter car, this is it. Nothing fancy, but it does the job, without time in the shop. ( Which can be a huge deal if your husband needs to borrow your car all the time because his Saab is in the shop every week!)

Better trunk opening. Usable trunk space is limited by the trunk opening design.