2001 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Loved it until now
By catcheme on 05/07/08 10:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine in 2004 used, leather sunroof awesome looking, dependable during college (traveled 100 miles daily) and during home health runs, about two months ago transmission would stick then backfire, fanbelt broke yesterday mechanic said "get rid of it before it blows up, its only made to last 100k miles". Now at 147k, love it but have to let it go, did have to frequently change headlights (not cheap ones either) and replaced the thermostat 3 times, the trunk leaks also, everything else great. I am going to miss it, great gas mileage, good size. costs too much to replace engine and tranny, oh and my paint job is starting to peel off on the edges (factory) cd player never worked for me.

Good _budget_ car
By scott on 04/21/08 08:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Like other Korean products, like Samsung phones, this car is high on well-designed features, but just misses on small things that Japanese competitors still consider (and prove to be annoying long term). Biggest pros: Features - sunroof, leather, etc Interior space- everyone is surprised at "how roomy" it is Exterior design - often mistaken for a SAAB 93 Biggest cons: Loud to drive- very little sound dampening Rough to drive- feel every bump in the road Electrical- have to replace a headlight every couple months?!? Other minor complaints... Why did they design the center A/C vents that way? They are completely worthless for the passenger.

I liked it
By Brenda on 04/06/08 10:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car for about a year. I bought it with electrical problems and had it fixed at a repair shop instead of the dealer. That saved me about $400. I had to do regular maintenance after that and averaged about 34 mpg. The reason I do not have it now is because I was involved in an accident. The car rolled 3 times and my son and I were virtually unharmed. This car gets my vote!

Unsafe
By larryd on 03/29/08 19:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Elantra required repairs that should not have been required in a vehicle this Young. Several items are severe safety hazards and Hyundai refused to acknowledge that it was a problem. Serious issues included a rusted out lower control arm which sent the vehicle to the other side of the road as the front wheel went slamming back into the wheel well. Also a melted door harness which Hyundai had a tsb stating it was improperly sealed. In spite of that fact, Hyundai refused to fix mine because the mileage exceeded 100k. Other uncommon repairs were required and are too numerous to list

Pleasantly Surprised
By Mattman on 03/16/08 06:30 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my GT hatch with 62K for $5600 and after a routine dealer service (rather pricey) have had absolutely no mechanical issues in almost 20K of driving. Mileage is great and there's plenty of highway passing pep. Interior space is incredible. I fit two solid plastic 8X4 ft. folding leg tables AND 8 non- fold hard plastic table chairs in the back and was able to fully close the boot. Who needs a truck? Only annoyances I have are the standard rear seat drip leak & the factory CD player doesn't play burned CDs. In the grand scheme no biggie. The Excel days are CLEARLY over and with their model linup expanding I can easily say Hyundai will again be in my future.

You get what you pay for, if that
By StangFan247 on 01/10/08 18:12 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Even for an economy car, this car falls short of the competition. The handling is sloppy, acceleration is weak, and same goes for the brakes. The only "plus" about this car is the gas mileage, which is still not too good for a 2.0 4-cylinder (est. 25-27 highway). The interior is not that appealing, and the seat is quite uncomfortable, and after about a year, the interior smelt worse than my friend's '93 Ford Escort. There is absolutely no style whatsoever. I've seen pizza delivery cars more appealing than this tin can on wheels. Get a Civic or Jetta.

Nice while it lasted
By Liz on 10/04/07 11:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Hyundai Elantra has just 65000 miles on. I have done regular maintenance, including just doing all of the manufacturer suggested 60000 mile maintenance. Now, at just 5000 miles out of warranty (I am the second owner, bought it at 18000 miles), it has a cracked piston!!! This repair is estimated at 2000. I called Hyundai and they said there is nothing they can do for me. I have enjoyed the car and have had few problems with it up until now, but PLEASE a car should go at least 100,000 without having any major problems like this. What a rip off. I have also been very disappointed with the cheap paint on the car that degrades under any sort of pressure (bird poop).

I MISS HER!! would suggest to anyone..
By KasieD on 09/11/07 09:29 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, i had my car for 2months, until a drunk driver smashed her. I found a steal on 80,000 miles for 5,000. This car had such great pick up. It was amazing on gas. i am a college student so gas mileage is everything. i loved this car. it was cute for a girl car and peppy when it needed to be or when i pushed it. I loved this car, was the best i have had. i went from a 89 grandprix se. to a 96 dodge neon, to the best car i had had so far 01 elantra gls. I am tempted to go for another to last me. I can 100% bet it will last me thru college. i would suggest this car to anyone. especially a parent trying to find their new driver an amazing first car!

worst realibility & bad dealer service
By falkie on 07/28/07 11:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was driven only 70K miles. Dim light burnt out, both at the same time. Passenger power windows stop working. Having contious problem with transmission at 70K. Warranty, which is a complete deception as if you are the second owner instead of 100K/10 YR you only get 60k/5YR. The service/dealership are rude and abusive. Would get charged for a simple repair 5 times more than it cost at normal shop. Never would buy a hyundai again. You get service and care adequate for the money you pay. Next time would spend couple of thousand more and buy toyota. Hyundai is realiable and cheap until the first repair or 60K. Engine wiring harness cost $1100!!!! Dont waste your money on this garbage

Good little car
By BobL on 07/21/07 08:08 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good little car for the money. Warranty is not what its cracked up to be. Gas mileage could be better for the size of the car. Clutch is slushy, almost NO feedback. Died after 30,000 miles and found out it ISN'T covered under the powertrain warranty. Dealer wanted $1300 to replace, went locally and had it done for $800. Never had a clutch last less than 80,000 miles before.