Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Good overall Deal
By Ken2400

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

There is a recall on the Lower control arms due to salt in given states. Look it up. Mine failed at 137K miles. Dealer fully covered it. 5 SP GLS

Bigger motor, more power

Not Worth the Money
By HyundaiOwnernMD

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I would steer clear of this vehicle. Since day one the car vibrates excessively and makes loud noises when driving at speeds of 55 mph or higher, regardless if A/C is on or off. Took it to dealer where I purchased and they told me "All of the Hyundai Elantra's due the same thing". Have also been told it's because it's a 4 cyl, yet other 4 cyl vehicles I've had ride a lot smoother and quieter than this vehicle. Not to mention the exterior "looks at" something and gets a dent. Save your money. Not worth the annoyance.

None

Anything to fix the excessive vibrations and loud noise while driving 55 mph or more.

Loved My Elantra
By Scott

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had my elantra for 8.5 years and had NO problems. Started up every time. Performed routine scheduled maintenance only. I bought it straight out of college. Would not have just upgraded, except I wanted 4 wheel drive after a bad winter last year. Was worth way more to me than trade in value. Gave it to friends in need of a car.

It was a basic car. It's reliability was what I liked the best.

Suspension could have been better.

too good to be true
By katie

2001 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had hoped that the 10 yr/100,000 mile warranty meant that Hyundai was wanted to prove they were making reliable vehicles like Honda or Nissan. Nope. I think they were counting on the average consumer trading in at 3 or 4 years and less than 60,000. The warranty has covered a few things (that should not have gone bad) and not covered other stuff that also should not have gone bad (the rear wheel bearings went bad at 62,000; the sun roof started leaking within 4 years; the vehicle eats headlights and even the dealer cannot raise the headlights so that the "low beams" are useful and the "high beams" are still lower than most other vehicles low beams. I'm getting an older used Nissan instead

Was fun to drive before I became fearful when the next breakdown would occur.

A warranty ought to actually cover stuff that breaks down (assuming no fault of the driver, of course)

Great and Reliable
By crkeeler

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Elantra brand new in February of 2001. It has proven to be the most reliable car i've ever owned. I have not had any major repairs and it runs great. I recommend this as a used car option even over 100,000 miles. Great and affordable for a high school or college student.

• SUV