Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Buyer Beware
By Henry

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my Elantra for almost a year, I bought it for around $4,500 in 2009. As I write this considering the age and mileage of my car I have boon somewhat lucky considering how hard I drive it. I have had some somewhat minor issues like CV joint problems and ball joint issues. Still I would definitely not recommend anyone buy one, unless it was in very good shape. Look into buying a reliable car and don't rush into buying. I wish someone would have told me this but instead I rushed and bought something cheap and I could have done better and so can you.

Trunk space, interior room, Easy to use and read interior gauge, although my radio light is broken. Horrible paint quality. Squeaky time

Acceleration, Exterior design, Interior quality, Can't handle the slightest heavy load.. the car has horrible drag with more then four people. Also my auto driver side window button gets stuck. Car shakes at high speeds. High noise over 40 mph. Gas mileage isn't nearly where it's suggested.

Good overall Deal
By Ken2400

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

There is a recall on the Lower control arms due to salt in given states. Look it up. Mine failed at 137K miles. Dealer fully covered it. 5 SP GLS

Bigger motor, more power

Not Worth the Money
By HyundaiOwnernMD

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I would steer clear of this vehicle. Since day one the car vibrates excessively and makes loud noises when driving at speeds of 55 mph or higher, regardless if A/C is on or off. Took it to dealer where I purchased and they told me "All of the Hyundai Elantra's due the same thing". Have also been told it's because it's a 4 cyl, yet other 4 cyl vehicles I've had ride a lot smoother and quieter than this vehicle. Not to mention the exterior "looks at" something and gets a dent. Save your money. Not worth the annoyance.

None

Anything to fix the excessive vibrations and loud noise while driving 55 mph or more.

Loved My Elantra
By Scott

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had my elantra for 8.5 years and had NO problems. Started up every time. Performed routine scheduled maintenance only. I bought it straight out of college. Would not have just upgraded, except I wanted 4 wheel drive after a bad winter last year. Was worth way more to me than trade in value. Gave it to friends in need of a car.

It was a basic car. It's reliability was what I liked the best.

Suspension could have been better.

Great and Reliable
By crkeeler

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Elantra brand new in February of 2001. It has proven to be the most reliable car i've ever owned. I have not had any major repairs and it runs great. I recommend this as a used car option even over 100,000 miles. Great and affordable for a high school or college student.

• SUV