Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Not Worth the Money
By HyundaiOwnernMD

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I would steer clear of this vehicle. Since day one the car vibrates excessively and makes loud noises when driving at speeds of 55 mph or higher, regardless if A/C is on or off. Took it to dealer where I purchased and they told me "All of the Hyundai Elantra's due the same thing". Have also been told it's because it's a 4 cyl, yet other 4 cyl vehicles I've had ride a lot smoother and quieter than this vehicle. Not to mention the exterior "looks at" something and gets a dent. Save your money. Not worth the annoyance.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Anything to fix the excessive vibrations and loud noise while driving 55 mph or more.

Loved My Elantra
By Scott

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had my elantra for 8.5 years and had NO problems. Started up every time. Performed routine scheduled maintenance only. I bought it straight out of college. Would not have just upgraded, except I wanted 4 wheel drive after a bad winter last year. Was worth way more to me than trade in value. Gave it to friends in need of a car.

Favorite Features

It was a basic car. It's reliability was what I liked the best.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension could have been better.

Great and Reliable
By crkeeler

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Elantra brand new in February of 2001. It has proven to be the most reliable car i've ever owned. I have not had any major repairs and it runs great. I recommend this as a used car option even over 100,000 miles. Great and affordable for a high school or college student.

Great Value
By laura

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 Elantra gently used in 2002, because it appeared to be the best value. And it has been. I've not had to pay for any major repairs in the 7 years and 100,000 miles I've owned. Def. the lowest cost to own car I've ever had. The car is not sexy, so I've been a bit bored with it ( since I bought it), but will keep driving until it starts needing major repairs.

Favorite Features

Very good value equation. low price+ excellent reliability+ plenty of standard features= very easy car to own.

Suggested Improvements

Personality?? This car and the whole hyundai line are totally lacking in the personality department. I love the reliability of the car, but nothing else is passion inspiring.

good for the pirce
By Z

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this 2001 Elantra GLS 5-speed back in 2001. I'm in the market for a new car now, after about 8 years and 130,000. The car still runs fine, but little things like the power windows, catalytic converter, etc. have given me reason to buy another car (possibly another Hyundai). The car was 100% reliable through out most of its life so far. I have driven it through all kinds of weather conditions, and even drove it cross-country. Despite two low-impact collisions, only cosmetic damage was done; the car drove on as if though nothing happened. I still have the original clutch on it, and it works fine! I think its time to retire this one; it served its purpose, and served it well.

Favorite Features

Solid reliability; the car started wherever/whenever I was. Trunk space came in handy. It was relatively cheap to maintain. I never had any mechanical problems with the engine or transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Hyundai dealerships and their "warranty honor" are hit or miss. The interior material didn't "breathe" during humid weather. The steering never felt properly adjusted despite tire balancing, alignment, etc.