Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Nice while it lasted
By Liz

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Hyundai Elantra has just 65000 miles on. I have done regular maintenance, including just doing all of the manufacturer suggested 60000 mile maintenance. Now, at just 5000 miles out of warranty (I am the second owner, bought it at 18000 miles), it has a cracked piston!!! This repair is estimated at 2000. I called Hyundai and they said there is nothing they can do for me. I have enjoyed the car and have had few problems with it up until now, but PLEASE a car should go at least 100,000 without having any major problems like this. What a rip off. I have also been very disappointed with the cheap paint on the car that degrades under any sort of pressure (bird poop).

Favorite Features

Design, leather, hatchback.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality of the paint and engine, and whatever else is about to give out now that warranty is up.

Dangerous for tall people
By whatever

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car and recently got an awesome deal on it. But I have to sit rather akward to keep my head from hitting the ceileing (im 6'3"). It has a sun roof which is nice though thats where my head is. Problem is if I get hit at the passenger door im very likely to break my neck, even at slower speeds.

Suggested Improvements

higher ceiling!!!!!

My 2001 Hyundai Elantra GT
By Rebecca

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car since 2002, with 4000 miles on it, this car has been reliable and fun to drive, great for a 17 year old or an adult, and comes fully loaded I would definatly reccomend this car to others that are looking, and GREAT on gas, as I drive all day for my business.

Favorite Features

the stereo system is wonderful

Suggested Improvements

my fog light has had a short in it for 3 years now, and it goes out constantly, noone can fix it completely, even the dealership. they need to work for inspection every year.

Happy, inexpensive motoring
By Bob

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used and have been very satisfied with car. Many features make this seem and feel like a much more expensive vehicle. Style is attractive and interior well thought out. Always thought Saab 3 series was such a pratical car, then they stopped making it as a hatchback. This car is just the same, small outside but hugh inside carrying capacity.

Favorite Features

Details of the interior and features of the car, like lights going on when the remote is activated, lights that stay on until the driver exits.

Suggested Improvements

This is an economy car, but just a little more punch in second gear would be appreciated.

Great car!
By Denverite

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had this car 4.5 years with no problems whatsoever. Does just fine driving in the Colorado mountains in wintertime. Good fuel economy, averages around 32 mpg mixed driving.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, leather interior. Plenty of room for us taller drivers. Hatchback great for hauling gear. Has been incredibly reliable!

Suggested Improvements

Could use a little more HP, shorter throw on the manual transmission.