2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
A fine vehicle at any price
By bri777 on 01/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I travel I often rent out mid and full size cars. More often than not I look forward to going back home to my Elantra GT. The driving dynamics are perfectly suited to my tastes. Not too soft and handles expansion joints with aplomb.

price and quality can't be beat
By josephus on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

At 50k brakes still perfect. Ride still tight. Car is all around amazing bargain

Small Car, Big Car Feel
By tbilla on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my commuting car, 58 miles each way most days. If you are looking for a car with decent room, all the comforts (CD, Leather, ABS, power everything) & great mileage (I average 29.2 mpg, 90% highway), but don't want to pay for a luxury car, this is the unit for you. I picked mine up online at the end of the design year for 16K out the door. Plan to drive it until the wheels fall off. Problems fixed under warranty: rattle in headliner, A/C compressor whine & loose air bag light connector.

Great Car! Fun and Sporty
By Rhondaborne on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased our Elantra over two years ago. I have never held on to a car as long as this one because it is comfortable, reliable, dependable and you just can't beat the warranty! I would recommend this car to everyone. My stereo system sounds better than the one in my husband's Toyota! There is only one thing I would correct and that is the wind noise. Please note that this is true in all of the cars that I have owned - even Toyota and Honda.

Very good, reliable, fun car
By Jo Squier on 10/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second Hyundai I have owned, and the quality of this car is excellent for the price. I have had no problems with it in the two years I have owned it. The interior is nice, the leather is comfortable and easy to care for. Make sure you get the floor mats from the manufacturer though, or they won't fit.

PRETTY DAMN GOOD
By WALTER66 on 10/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I MUST SAY, FOR THE MONEY. THIS VEHICLE HAS TREATED ME QUITE WELL. WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. IT'S FUN TO DRIVE AND GREAT ON GAS. I WOULD BUY ANOTHER.

Car is about $8,000 underpriced!
By Too Many Happy on 10/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Elantra GT hatch back -Solid, quite, runs perfect,I have owned a Cadillac, Alfa Romeo, Mercury, 3 Fords, Chrysler, Chevy and a toyota. This is by far the most for the money,and the better ride all around. get the moon roof and traction contol and abs, if it did not say Hyundia i would think I am in a Lexus. Real nice, look out Toyota and Honda.

Couldn't ask for better
By gambler2 on 09/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have over 33,000 miles on my GT. I have only replaced one headlamp in addition to the regular maintainence. I usually get between 28 and 33 mpg. Most of my driving is at 45-70 mph. I'm very satisfied!

Fun wore off
By Mahmga on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really liked this car when I got it because of the price, lightweight body, peppy motor, 4 doors/roomy back seats, and leather interior. Now that I have had it a bit, I am unhappy with vibration in the steering wheel at 75+mph and am unhappy with the extreme vibration of braking the car when at modest speeds..esp on downhill slopes - very unsatisfactory. I also don't like that the US version engine is dialed back esp. in the lower power band. This car needs a mod-chip to reclaim that low-end power.

Continue to be surprised
By J Romer on 07/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Elantra GT for two years and have 46,000 miles. I continue to enjoy this car more and more. I had a Maxima ('96) before this and although it had more power, I have found the Elantra to be much more fun to drive. Mainly ride and handling. And you can't beat the price and the warrentee. (Yes, I'm a value oriented car buyer.) And I see some who critisize the fact that ABS is an option. Personally I like the fact that I have a choice to have ABS. I didn't get it...and didn't want it. I guess I like to drive a car and not have it drive me...call me crazy.