2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Loved My Elantra
By Scott on 10/28/09 01:05 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had my elantra for 8.5 years and had NO problems. Started up every time. Performed routine scheduled maintenance only. I bought it straight out of college. Would not have just upgraded, except I wanted 4 wheel drive after a bad winter last year. Was worth way more to me than trade in value. Gave it to friends in need of a car.

Great and Reliable
By crkeeler on 09/24/09 09:42 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Elantra brand new in February of 2001. It has proven to be the most reliable car i've ever owned. I have not had any major repairs and it runs great. I recommend this as a used car option even over 100,000 miles. Great and affordable for a high school or college student.

Great Value
By laura on 09/05/09 06:08 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 Elantra gently used in 2002, because it appeared to be the best value. And it has been. I've not had to pay for any major repairs in the 7 years and 100,000 miles I've owned. Def. the lowest cost to own car I've ever had. The car is not sexy, so I've been a bit bored with it ( since I bought it), but will keep driving until it starts needing major repairs.

good for the pirce
By Z on 08/21/09 19:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this 2001 Elantra GLS 5-speed back in 2001. I'm in the market for a new car now, after about 8 years and 130,000. The car still runs fine, but little things like the power windows, catalytic converter, etc. have given me reason to buy another car (possibly another Hyundai). The car was 100% reliable through out most of its life so far. I have driven it through all kinds of weather conditions, and even drove it cross-country. Despite two low-impact collisions, only cosmetic damage was done; the car drove on as if though nothing happened. I still have the original clutch on it, and it works fine! I think its time to retire this one; it served its purpose, and served it well.

just bought it we will see
By poetry on 07/28/09 20:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this car today, its a beauty. I love the interior design the Windows are smoked so I dont have to get them tinted. The previous owner put in custom sound and custom rims and it drives like a dream. I bought the car with 4 recalls on it and the dealership already advised me they will fix them with no cost and provide a rental. I only gave it "8" because I've only owned it for 7 hours now.

Control arm?? Not
By dogmollie on 01/27/09 20:48 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

100,000.00 miles nothing covered, car has 74,000 control arm broke??? Not covered, pulled out transmission, not covered. Don't buy these cars the warranty is a joke, hey they let you talk to a consumer advocate, huh right they consume your money. This was my second Hyundai first one lasted 225,000 miles and was running well when I sold it. This is my last Hyundai and I tell everyone I talk to to avoid these cars now. They changed something, and no longer need loyal consumers. Stay away from these cars.

Good Value
By laura on 01/07/09 10:17 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 01 Elantra in early 2002. To date, I've had no significant repairs, and have sunk very little money into the car. It's not the fastest, greenest, most luxurious, or best performing car on the block. But it is very reliable, and has just enough comfort, safety, mpg, and performance to make it passable. If you're looking for a great value, and reliability in a commuter car, this is it. Nothing fancy, but it does the job, without time in the shop. ( Which can be a huge deal if your husband needs to borrow your car all the time because his Saab is in the shop every week!)

Great car, 18 year old owner
By joeychris909 on 12/29/08 18:17 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great 1st car. This is my 1st car and I love it. Gave me some trouble like the leaking transmission, headlight burnouts, fading dash clock, and the airbag light. I'm 18 years old and this car has been fun to drive with a decent amount of space. Other Young people like me would choose a Honda over a Hyundai but I chose the Hyundai. Still runs strong with 156,780 miles!

disappointing purchase
By georgina on 11/25/08 11:39 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When you own it for over a year...I bought my elantra dec 08/2000. Within 1 1/2 years had to replace right front bearing - not on warranty. This car has been a money pit. I kept up on my oil changes and warranty work at the dealer. The motor went @ 5000k over the warranty - used motor, towing and rentals - @ $5500. Hyundai did nothing to stand behind the car. Among many other things, i.e. struts, other bearing, cv joint etc., transmission went on 5th anniversary of car - $3000. I paid $15,000 for this car and have spent that much in various repairs. I have spent close to $30,000 on this car. My Mazda 323 was 7 years old before I had to spend $$$ on it. Buyer beware.

Wow, nice car for the price!
By Seely on 11/20/08 11:32 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Back in 2001, after a hail storm hit, we were looking for a new car. We decided to look around, and noticed Holmes (the dealer we bought from) had discounts on cars on the lot due to hail damage. Of course, we managed to get it new for 9,572 dollars due to hail damage, and a little persuasion. Love it. The only Major problem we've had was a broken thermometer. It does get a little noisy on the inside. It's 2.0 i4 gets enough Punch, and still returns good mileage. Nice exterior styling, however, the interior was slightly drab, but not too bad. Nice trunk space, and a locking gas door. Inside trunk handle is Nice. Trunk room is fantastic, and the reliability won't disappoint.