Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 127 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

will not by another Hyundai
By danmyerow

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I used to own a 2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS. The car only had about 95,000 mile on it.I really liked this car. The car ran great. I got about 21 miles per gallon on it. I only had it for about 5 months untill I got in a car accident. I hit the front tire of a scooter doing about 30mph. I am ok and so was the guy on the scooter. There was damage to my front bumper, fender and my hood. My claims adjustor called me and said the car was a total loss. If you do buy this type of car do not get in accident with it because it was built on the cheap side.

The car ran Excellent. I thought the seats were comfortable.

They need to improve the quality of the body of the car.

Great car (dependable)
By mmeyering

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new and I am still driving it with 170K on it. Everything on it still works as it should. I have read that people thik it is bad in the snow, Well I think it has a lot to do with the tires I did a lot of research on tires and with the ones I bought the car goes GREAT
in the snow. I always run 55 - 60 on the slippery roads with no trouble and I have gone through powder snow that was coming over the hood. It also handles good on dry roads as well I had it up to 120 mph and handles great. The only repairs I have made were wheel bearing and 1 fuel injector, other than that just the regular sch mat. I would buy another and do not baby it!!! It is a lot of fun to drive .

The stick shift, size and how light the car is handles great!!

Maybe an option for a bigger engine.

Excellent commuter or first car
By Janglez

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Elantra for about a year and a half now and have 125k on it, I'm 19 and it is my first car, but I have driven a lot of my friend's Hondas, and other I4 engine cars. My Elantra out preforms all of them, even stock. Only bad thing is when I have a car full, power lacks a little, just like any other 4 banger. Drives smooth until about 55 and vibrates a little, stops after 70. Corners great, with minimal body roll with good struts. 22 mpg average, topped out at 35 mpg on a road trip. I drive this car really hard, and only had minimal damage. Defiantly recommend this car to anyone looking for a cheap reliable car that out preforms other cars in its class.

Rear cup holders. excellent interior. Great gas mileage. Very easy to change oil. Decent trunk space.

55-70 vibration. Slight lag at 4k rpm.

Needed some work
By Amy

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

When I purchased the car I knew it needed work. I had three recalls on it when I bought it not including a bit more repairs than I wanted to make on a used car. The gas mileage is great, specially on long trips. Other than that it is just going to be the car I hang on to until it breaks down. Hope it lasts a few years with all the repairs.

Speakers

I don't like how the car feels like it's being strained when the air is on. Need more trunk space.

It's been fairly reliable so far
By John

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new in Dec 01. So far, no MAJOR issues with the car; it's been mechanically sound and reliable at 104K miles. The couple of times I took the car in for warranty-related work, the dealer refused and wanted me to pay (it was electrical issue). Seems like warranty work is a hit/miss with dealers. I've had only minor annoying electrical problems so far, like the dash clock not working (took it apart and repaired myself), turn signal switch intermittent (repaired myself), side mirror heaters no longer work, air blower switch position 1 doesn't work, several bulbs in the dash burned out (including the headlights numerous times). Steering vibrates at above 60 MPH intermittently.

I like the simple but functional interior of the car, it has decent acceleration, it's fairy comfortable for long drives (seats very supportive), AC works incredibly well, trunk space is big, it's quiet inside even at upper highway speeds, I even like the soft suspension for the smooth ride.

Hyundai, you need to honor your promised long warranty. Having read numerous posting here about denied warranty, I can relate. The only "warranty" that was honored was the airbag light problem AFTER I had already paid for repairs. All other work I thought should be warranty related, denied.